DAT DONE!!! 9/28/11, breakdown and tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phy241

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have benefited a lot from reading other members feedback, so I thought I would play my part and share my scores and resources used. This was my first time doing the American DAT. I did my Canadian DAT last year in November, relied solely on Kaplan and ended up with:
Bio: 19, Chem: 19, PAT: 18, RC: 19
I thought I was ready (well Kaplan certainly told me so LOL). I was waitlisted at a Canadian Dental school this summer, so I had my hopes set on that. My backup was to do a research masters, but late July I decided to decline masters and re-apply to several dental schools (last time I only applied to one, I was missing pre-reqs, which I am taking now). Anyhow, long story short, I started studying in August, a few hours everyday, and here's how I did:

PAT 19 (67.8)
QR 23 (98.8)
RC 22 (84.4)
Bio 23 (97.4)
Gen. Chem 26 (98.8)
Orgo 19 (71.1)
TS 22 (95.6)
AA 23 (98.7)

cDAT in Nov:
BIO 23
Chem 30
PAT 18
AA 25
TS 25

Here's the resources I used:

Bio: Cliff's AP Bio, I think this book is pretty much all you need to do well on the bio section. There were only a handful of questions (I would say about 4) on the actual DAT, that were not covered in this book. When I did the test initially, I marked close to 10-15 questions. Some of the questions might stump you initially, but don't let that throw you off, just mark the question and pick C (just in case you don't get enough time in the end), and move on. I finished this section in about 30 mins, and came back after I finished the other two sections, and went through the marked questions. I think in the end I was unsure about 4 questions.

Gen. Chem: CHAD'S VIDEOS! That is all I used to study for general chem, watched his movies once, did all the quizzes, did not even bother going back to the Kaplan book. I felt like the questions on the actual DAT were even easier then his quiz questions lol. My advice is to watch all the videos and do the quizzes at the end, that's a good way of testing whether you actually remember the concepts a few days after watching the videos. I finished this section in 30 mins and I had 2 questions marked.

Orgo: I used Chad's Videos for this section as well, but I did not finish watching them all, I stopped at section 3.5. I started using Chad's videos near the beginning of September, so I knew I don't have enough time to watch and remember everything. Also, I don't like orgo so I figured I would just try and nail Bio and Gen. Chem to bring my TS up. I was able to answer all the questions pertaining to the sections I covered with Chad, other ones I just guessed, I was able to reduce the options down to 2 or 3 for most of them. I spent maybe 15-20 mins on this section and then went back to Bio to look at the marked questions.

PAT: I used Crack DAT PAT, but I only practiced about 3-4 tests before the test. I should have practiced more, but I would recommend using Crack DAT PAT, it did help me improve. My eyes were literally burning by the time I got to cube counting, I spent more time then I usually do on this section and didn't have enough time left for Pattern Folding

RC: I got one RC passage trial with Crack DAT PAT. I practiced that passage and that's all I did for this section. I used a new strategy where I went straight to the 1st question and started reading, if I didn't find the answer to it within the first two paragraphs, I would mark it and go on to the next question. This way I was reading the passage but answering questions along the way. I had a LOT of inference questions, I think about 2-3 with each passage, but I finished all passages with about 4-5 minutes left.

QR: I did not prepare for this section; I love math and physics and took several of these courses in uni, so I knew I would be okay. I was REALLY exhausted by the time I got to this section, some questions were ridiculously easy, others were just lengthy, involved long calculations. I didn't know how to do 3 questions: two of them involved conversion factors that I didn't know, so I couldn't even answer them:(. Another one involved a formula that I didn't have memorized. I finished this section with 6-7 minutes left.

I hope this was helpful to some of you, if you have any questions shoot away :)!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great scores! AA is awesome, and you totally rocked GenChem! :bow:

What were the conversions that tripped you up in QR?
It sucks they don't just give it to you...I don't know what memorizing conversion factors has to do with being good at math.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!:) I know I completely agree with you, having some facts memorized does not tell you anything about anyone's mathematical skills. The conversions were between ounces and pounds, and yards to feet. I guess this terminology is common in States, but I never came across it.

Great scores! AA is awesome, and you totally rocked GenChem! :bow:

What were the conversions that tripped you up in QR?
It sucks they don't just give it to you...I don't know what memorizing conversion factors has to do with being good at math.

I am shocked to see that carving is now optional on the Canadian DAT! LOL Got a 15 on that section when I took it in the 1997

Hey, you beat me, I got a 14 LOL, thank god it's optional now, doesn't make sense to do it if you are an Ontario resident. After all, you are only opening up maybe another 10-15 OOP spots, and competing with nearly a 1000 applicants .

I am shocked to see that carving is now optional on the Canadian DAT! LOL Got a 15 on that section when I took it in the 1997

Thanks guys! What do you guys think my chances are of getting an interview?

My GPA w/o quality points is:
BCP 3.56, Science 3.56, Overall 3.54. GPA Trend: 2.7, 3.45, 4.0, 3.9, 4.0
with quality points:
BCP 3.67, Science 3.64, Overall 3.62. GPA Trend: 2.83, 3.3, 4.1, 4.0, 4.3
First two years were bad, after that I never got below an A in any science course, and I've taken a LOT of science courses

I applied to: Boston, NYU, Case, Maryland, UPenn, Columbia, Tufts and MSU. Thanks:)

Thanks guys! What do you guys think my chances are of getting an interview?

My GPA w/o quality points is:
BCP 3.56, Science 3.56, Overall 3.54. GPA Trend: 2.7, 3.45, 4.0, 3.9, 4.0
with quality points:
BCP 3.67, Science 3.64, Overall 3.62. GPA Trend: 2.83, 3.3, 4.1, 4.0, 4.3
First two years were bad, after that I never got below an A in any science course, and I've taken a LOT of science courses

I applied to: Boston, NYU, Case, Maryland, UPenn, Columbia, Tufts and MSU. Thanks:)

Ugh, why must you ask? (yes that's some major sarcasm/jealously interjecting!:D)

But in all seriousness, your GPA's are on the average or slightly above the average accepted applicant, plus they exhibit a phenomenal upward trend. Your DAT scores are phenomenal. Assuming you do even marginally okay in an interview...yes I predict not only multple interviews but multiple acceptances. You my friend will have some choices.

Again many congrats, I know you must have worked extremely hard to put yourself in your current position. Time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of all your hard work...

Edit: Are you applying this cycle (you definitely should)? If so, since it's getting a tad late I would highly suggest that you email/fax your unofficial DAT scores to all of the admissions offices of the schools to which you are applying. I'm sure your official scores will arrive soon, but a couple extra weeks and a little extra attention can't hurt!

Also, what are your thoughts on how much it helped having taken the test before? You said you studied a 'few hours a day' since August, is this 3-4 or more like 5-6? I'm only curious because I am preparing to retake myself. I took it the first time last July, with an AA/TS/PAT of 20/19/24. I know those are decent scores, but my GPA is garbage, and I'm impatient to get started in my career, so I opted to work and retake the DAT rather than start a Master's program. Do you think having taken the test once significantly helped you this time around or did you pretty much start completely over? I'm probably 3/4's of the way into studying, and feeling pretty good about where I am. However, working 35 hours a week makes it difficult to put in the same amount of hours I dedicated last year. I definitely think I am studying smarter and anticipate a higher score, but I'm afraid i may be giving myself false hope, lol. What are your thoughts?

Hey, yes I am applying this cycle, I applied a bit late though (my application was mailed out near the end of August), I had hopes set on a Canadian dental school, where I was waitlisted. I thought I might not get an interview since most interview spots up until December seem to be taken up. I can relate to you in terms of Master's, that's exactly why I decided to decline it, I thought it would be better to take pre-req courses so I can apply to more schools rather then put in 2 years for masters.

To answer your question, doing the test once helped a LOT. The first time I did the test was in Nov 2010, you can only do the Canadian DAT twice a year. I had 4 midterms, essays and assignments due the week before and the week of the DAT, and DAT accounts for merely 10-15% in Canadian schools, so I chose to just focus on my GPA rather then worry about the DAT. Also, I was feeling pretty confident about the Bio and Chem section. I only used Kaplan then though, and didn't do so well. When I studied the second time around, I honestly studied 3-4 hours MAX (4 hours is like on a day when I was in the mood to study and there was no XBOX lol). Usually I would go over 1 chapter of Bio per day, which takes I think 1-2 hours. If I was not satisfied with the info. in the book, I would wiki it. I went through the AP biology book twice, but this time I ONLY focused on areas that I wasn't good at; I didn't touch any of the animal stuff because I've taken several Physiology and animal biology courses. So, in total I would say I spent 2-3 weeks on Bio, and that's pretty much all I did in August.
At the end of August I knew for sure that I am not getting off the waitlist, so I signed up for Chad's videos. Majority of my study time in September was devoted to going through Chad's videos for general chem. I went through all of them, took notes, and did his quizzes twice. For organic, I went a little over half way, but Organic isn't tested on the Canadian DAT, so I thought it would be better to devote my time to general chemistry. I would occasionally go over 2-3 chapters of bio quickly just to refresh the content. In terms of hours, the most I did in a day was go through all Electrochemistry videos.
The week of my DAT, I just went over my Chem notes, went over whatever I knew of Orgo in a day or two, and quickly went over bio again the day before.

Honestly, don't worry about how many hours you put in, I don't think there is a strong correlation between the number of hours and your success. What's more important is knowing WHAT to study, and I'm sure you know that since you already did the DAT once, and you know which areas you need to improve in. If you can put in 2-3 hours a day I think that will be more than enough. If you are feeling good about where you are in terms of studying, trust your instinct; you have done the test once, so your comparison must be valid. Good luck, I hope you get something out of this excessively long post LOL.

Also, what are your thoughts on how much it helped having taken the test before? You said you studied a 'few hours a day' since August, is this 3-4 or more like 5-6? I'm only curious because I am preparing to retake myself. I took it the first time last July, with an AA/TS/PAT of 20/19/24. I know those are decent scores, but my GPA is garbage, and I'm impatient to get started in my career, so I opted to work and retake the DAT rather than start a Master's program. Do you think having taken the test once significantly helped you this time around or did you pretty much start completely over? I'm probably 3/4's of the way into studying, and feeling pretty good about where I am. However, working 35 hours a week makes it difficult to put in the same amount of hours I dedicated last year. I definitely think I am studying smarter and anticipate a higher score, but I'm afraid i may be giving myself false hope, lol. What are your thoughts?