DAT done, but need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshipri

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, firstly I'd like to say this forum is waaayyy too awesome for words!! But, sadly I took the DAT today and didn't do as well as I wanted. So I was wondering if I could get some advice on what I should do. I have a 3.87 GPA total and around a 3.4 science--I'm actually finishing undergrad in 3 years if that makes any difference. But here's my horrible DAT scores:

PAT: 18
QR: 16:(
RC: 18
BIO: 18
GC: 18
OC: 20
TS: 19
AA: 18

So do you think I have any chance of getting in if I apply now or should I retake the DAT again??? The thing is that I just don't want to pay all that money to take the DAT again and go through the hell too!!

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, firstly I'd like to say this forum is waaayyy too awesome for words!! But, sadly I took the DAT today and didn't do as well as I wanted. So I was wondering if I could get some advice on what I should do. I have a 3.87 GPA total and around a 3.4 science--I'm actually finishing undergrad in 3 years if that makes any difference. But here's my horrible DAT scores:

PAT: 18
QR: 16:(
RC: 18
BIO: 18
GC: 18
OC: 20
TS: 19
AA: 18

So do you think I have any chance of getting in if I apply now or should I retake the DAT again??? The thing is that I just don't want to pay all that money to take the DAT again and go through the hell too!!

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!

Apply first your GPA will help. But a 3.87 GPA does not march your scores so retake but still apply. May be a red flag to adcoms.

It was actually advice given to me by my advisory...I had a lot of AP credit and I just thought it would save some money....

But do you really think I should retake the DAT so it at least kinda matches my GPA??

Members don't see this ad :)
Which sources did you use to study?? How much time did you spend studying?
I will say apply now and retake the test, like OMFS08 say before that could be a red flag a high GPA and an average DAT.....

For Bio, I used Cliffs mostly
For Chem. mostly my old notes and a Barrons DAT book
For O. Chem. my old flashcards and an MCAT book my friend gave me.
I had the Crack PAT software and TopScore but only got to do 3 of the Crack tests and 2 of the TopScore cuz my computer got a virus and now I can't use it!!
But I basically crammed for the past week with little to no prior studying which is why the low score...

Last edited:
Your gpa doesn't make sense to me. How do you have 3.9 overall and 3.4 science gpa.
Have you only taken about 2 science classes? That's the only way that would work out.
If that is true, then I am assuming you have based everything on the notion that AP is similar to actually college classes, which isn't very true as you can see.

Well, I haven't really calculated my science GPA but I just put the lowest possible I think it could be right now...its probably closer to a 3.5-3.6 but I'm not sure how to calculate it...

if u got the money, you should apply now to see if you get in. otherwise, just retake the DAT and take a year off doing some dental related work.