Dat done!!! Full breakdown 8/14/10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mm12785

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I finished my DAT on 8/14/10 and I'm pretty happy with my scores, except for one subject (RC). Should I retake it? Advice is greatly appreciated.

PA 22 93.8%
QR 18 86.6%
RC 14 6.1%
Bio 21 95.5%
GC 24 98%
OC 22 94%
TS 22 98.3%
AA 20 93.4%

The first time I took the DAT on 8/15/09 I got the following scores:
PA 21 92.2%
QR 11 3.6%
RC 16 18.5%
Bio 17 50%
GC 17 49.1%
OC 17 51.1%
TS 17 50.4%
AA 16 32.1%

BREAKDOWN:

So I basically studied all summer long from June-August everyday for 8 hours give and take. I took 1 or 2 days off here and there. I didn't go out and I dreamt about doing organic reactions every night. :scared: Every other week I cried my eyes out from being so stressed and terrified from the first scores I got. Just remember how important this test is and how happy you could be if you do great! :p

I purchased Topscore, Achiever, & Crack PAT for computer practice. I highly recommend doing at least 1 topscore test to get an idea of what the test looks like and using Crack PAT for perceptual ability. As for Achiever, it's a "punch me in the stomach" type of test. It hurts your confidence. :mad: But you can try it if you want. I didn't waste too much time taking timed tests. I had taken the DAT before so I knew what the style of the test was like. I used my time by learning new things rather than taking long 4.5 hour tests all day. It's your call though.

Here were my scores for the tests I took:
Topscore:
Test 1 (7/9/10)
PA/QR/Bio/GC/OC/TS/AA
21/18/18 /16/16/?? / ??

Test 2 (8/12/10)
Bio/GC/OC/TS
18/18 /23/19

Test 1 retake (8/13/10) (day before my test)
Bio/GC/OC/TS
19/19 /19/20

Achiever:
Test 1 (7/20/10)
PA/QR/Bio/GC/OC/TS/AA
??/18/15 /17/16/16/??

PA (22)
I was an architecture major and received my bachelor in it. Then I decided I wanted to do dental. So this section was easier to me than the others. I did not study it much. I would recommend using Crack PAT though. The sections from Crack PAT were similar to the actual DAT except I thought hole punching on the DAT was a whole lot easier than on Crack PAT. On the DAT, half of the angle questions were very easy, and half were a bit close.
I did 4 out of 10 tests on Crack PAT and got the following scores:
Test 1: 20
Test 2: 21
Test 3: 22
Test 4: 21
As you can see, the scores were similar to what I received on the actual DAT. It's a good way to know where you stand.

QR (18)
The first time I studied for this section I took the Kaplan course & did the online homework. My math was so weak that I didn't even understand the explanations that Kaplan gave for each problem so I didn't find it as useful. Timing was a huge issue on this section. The second time I studied for math, I purchased Math Destroyer and found it more useful. There are 11 tests with 40 questions each. I would time myself 40 minutes and do 40 questions. Then I'd review my answers. At first I was only able to get through 25 questions out of 40. By the end I got 35 out of 40 questions done in 40 minutes. You'll find a trend in the types of questions that repeat in the Destroyer, which was similar to the DAT. (ex: rate problems, probabilities, common triangles, etc.)
On the DAT, the math was very similar to Math Destroyer. On the DAT I had answered 35 questions and with seconds left guessed on the last 5. Make sure to work on the timing!!! It's the biggest challenge of this section.

RC (14)
I'm not sure what happened here. :scared: The first time I got a 16 and I would have been happy with an 18 this time around but something went wrong. I got through 2.5 out of 3 of the passages and answering questions. I guessed on the rest. I think I over analyzed this section. My passages were about neurotransmitters, oncogenes, & how exercising effects psychology. Do something on this section so you at least pull an 18.

Bio (21)
Oh how I studied so many things for this section. The first time around I read the Kaplan blue book and made notes for myself on my laptop. I read DAT Cliff's notes, but I don't recommend it. It was a little too easy. I also did the Kaplan notecards which were helpful. The second time around I read AP Bio Cliff's book 2x & added to my Kaplan blue book notes on my laptop. I read chapter 18-21 in Campbell which covered some topics on genetic engineering. It was helpful info. The end of the chapter quizzes in Campbell are helpful too. I also went through Bio Destroyer and found it helpful in that it reiterated words I had read over and over again from the previous sources. Bio Destroyer is not made in good test formatting because most of the answers are all of the above, but if you study it right by reading the statements and actually learning them, then it'll be a more useful source. Using my laptop to make notes came handy because when I wanted to look up a certain word, I'd just type it in my search and it would come up immediately. On the actual DAT, every topic I've ever learned came up from Bio I & II, Anatomy, Physiology, Animal Behavior, Ecology, Genetics, etc. Know as much as you can for this section and use the knowledge you already know to interpret and figure out the answer to the questions.

GC (24)
The first time around I used Kaplan online homework. It was decent enough to get me a 17. But that wasn't good enough! The second time around I made myself notes from Kaplan blue book and used destroyer as the main source to solve problems. Destroyer chem was very similar to the DAT, but I'd say the DAT was easier. Destroyer chem over prepares you for the DAT and it made me confident when I was taking the exam. I was laughing at the DAT because Destroyer had prepared me so well for this section. :laugh: Chad's videos were also amazing for this section. He knows his stuff and explains things well. His quizzes are useful too. I definitely recommend purchasing Chad's videos and using it as a break from "sitting and writing studying". I also purchased MCAT 1001 Chemistry Questions which was good practice, but I recommend it if you have extra time. Basic stoichiometry, angles & hybridization, periodic trends, etc are topics of interest.

OC (22)
Same response as the Gen Chem section. Destroyer road maps are the absolute best things ever created. I had a horrible organic II professor, so I didn't even know half of the reactions. I made my own notecards from them and studied them both ways (know which reagent does this & know what product comes from this reagent). I did Destroyer org about 4x's throughout the summer. It prepared me well for the section. Chad's videos again were great! They are one of the cheapest products I purchased for studying for the DAT. Multiple steps for a reaction, most stable conformation, functional groups, SN1, SN2, E1, E2, etc are topics of interest.

I sent out my application on June 1 right when it came out. Everything has been completed. Now I'm waiting for my updated DAT scores to be sent to AADSAS. Do you think I should retake the DAT in 3 months because of the 14 on reading comp?!?!?! Oh how I wish I would have at least got an 18 on that section.

Overall, the DAT is not the hardest exam in the world, but I definitely did study my butt off for it more than 1x. Know everything and know it well. Attack each subject 1 at a time and give ample time to study so you can get what you want done before test day. Do not freak out! This is advice coming from a person who did freak out. Easier said than done. I studied the day before until 8pm & ate dinner & went to bed at 10pm. I slept decent enough to get through the test. It's a long test, just remember how important every section and question is on the exam as it will effect your score. Otherwise, know you're prepared and ready to attack it. If not, reschedule. Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

14 on RC.. seeing that your percentile is 6.1% (thank ADA that they don't send the percentile to dental schools), i think you should consider a re-take. a 14 in QR could've been ok, but for RC it will hurt you. just my opinion. I hear that the adcoms now look at RC after they take a look at AA and TS. but great job on the other sections!

i'd recommend you to read magazines/articles/news daily so that you can boost your reading speed. scientific journals might be helpful.

I think you may have a chance at some schools that have low DAT scores. However, and this is sad to say considering the effort that you put in, you might have to retake. The 14 in RC is way low. Some schools have a cutoff, so I would call and check at the schools that you are applying to. Remember, people always get in with low scores on certain sections, so I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you will not have to retake this stupid test.