DAT Done July 21, 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew324

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am now all done! :)

I studied with Kaplan Online, Destroyer, DAT Audio Learn, did a very quick read of Cliffs AP Bio, Crack DAT Pat, and SDN.

Biology- I thought a lot of the questions were quite easy. If you studied at all you will get them. I had a frapish question but apparently not the real thing as I did not get the Ethics question. Oh and I had 1 or was it 2 plant questions.

Chemistry- I thought I did well on the test but certainly was not expecting it to be my highest of the Science section. A few weeks ago I would have told you it would be my lowest score. I used DAT destroyer which really helped my Chem. I used kaplan as well, that really help. Mainly concepts, a few calculations. Pretty straight forward. There was one at the end I had marked and went back to if I had more time I would have gotten it, on my first run through the test I mis-read but time was up. I mean I had one marked so I had a shot it was the right one but a few more min's would have been nice.

O-Chem- Went through Destroyer once, all in 1 day. I am surprised by my score on this one. Really I did not study Ochem for more than 2 or 3 days, and I had the class over a year ago. So thats a nice surprise. It was pretty straight forward, there was one or two I had no clue, marked it and moved on. Also I thought people had said there were only 1 step reactions, there were 2 step reactions on the test. So starting material, first reactant, then second, then final product.

RC- I thought it was pretty easy, I first read the entire passage tried to do that kaplan mapping on the first one but never went back and read what I wrote down. Finished the first passage right on time with 40mins left, second passage I again read the entire thing, wrote down a few things thought it would help which it did not. Last passage I read the entire passage then moved onto the questions did not write down anything. The only practice test I took was the kaplan diag for this, so I only did 1...

QR- Well as most people say, you are pressed for time. A few I did not do anything for, random guess and move on. For the most part nothing was crazy complicated, I got a few % questions like a nCr or nPr ones, but not as straight forward. I dont know I could have done better on this section if I did any practicing at all. I mean I literally only did 2-3 hours of work studying for QR, so the score kinda shows. But overall im decently happy with it. Ohhh on this one, at the very end final question there was a really easy one, I read it with only a few seconds left, thought of the answer, moved the mouse to click the button and booom times up.

PAT- Well first off the angles I thought were MUCH easier than Crack DAT Pat, which made me happy. One of the Keyholes I could not find the answer for at all. I mean not at all, nothing close. Some of the patterns were kinda strange. By far the strangest section was the Hole Punching, On Crack DAT I would do really well on this section 14/15 and 15/15, but on the real thing the paper was a little different, like it had more edge to it if that makes sense. Anyway I think I got a few of these wrong for that reason. Cube counting was pretty straight forward. 1 of them looked pretty optical illusiony which threw me off, took me a minute to make sure I was viewing it correctly.

My Markers were perfect, they gave me 2 as well as 2 sheets. I used 1 marker and 1 sheet the entire time. It really worked well. The testing center in general was really nice, the people were nice. (Tempe, Arizona, next to AZ Mills Mall). I did not use the headphones, it really was not needed.

Scores
Section Score Percentile

PAT 20 %88.1
QR 17 %64
RC 22 %87.1
Bio 21 %91.8
Gchem 22 %89.5
Ochem 20 %80.9
TS 21 %92.4
AA 20 %85.1

I will edit this post as people have questions.
Note-This was better than I did on any kaplan full length test. Except math diagnostic where I got a 22...But that was the only math section I ever did.

All my stats are on PreDents, I would love feedback about which schools people thing are pretty well within reach.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did u ever take the kaplan subject tests? and if so what did u get one those? where they harder than the real thing? great job!

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! i believe you sent me some frantic PMs about gen chem and it looks like you did the best on that section. nice work!

great job andrew! now go enjoy your summer!

you think destroyer and kaplan is enough for gchem? I worry about this section the most.......

Members don't see this ad :)
you think destroyer and kaplan is enough for gchem? I worry about this section the most.......

Absolutly, I knew very little gchem before I started. I mean I took it 4 years ago... I went through destroyer gchem 1.3 times perhaps, I went through it and then for a little review I would open up to a random destroyer chem page and do 10 or so questions.

Kaplan Online is also really strong here. The first half I did really well on, studied a lot, made sure I knew it. The second half I didnt so much, the Ksp and things like that for kaplan were to much for me, I did destroyer for these. On those subject tests I did quite poorly.

Did DAT Audio learn help for you?

Yeah it did, I would listen to it when I would drive around. The ochem and gchem are really short, the bio is pretty good. I mean they are not complicated or anything but any little bit helps. You know an hour in the car would be an hour wasted without it.

Did u ever take the kaplan subject tests? and if so what did u get one those? where they harder than the real thing? great job!

Yes I took lots of the kaplan subject tests. I went over them many times until I could do them well. On the hardness it depends on which subject test in particular you are talking about. They are all pretty good.

Great job...Bio was easy you say...did you come across those detailed questions or was it mostly basic/general questions?
Nice on the chems.
How much did you study?

Congrats for the success. What was your highest and lowest scores on CDP?

Crack DAT lowest was 18, But I was getting 21, 22's on my last few, 23 in the mix as well. This is a little lower than I expected but I am ok with it. The pattern folding threw me, as did a few others.

Great job...Bio was easy you say...did you come across those detailed questions or was it mostly basic/general questions?
Nice on the chems.
How much did you study?

Mostly basic/general questions, a few were odd ball, but not to many at all.

Good Job.

How were the angles, very difficult or not so difficult?

Angles felt more kaplan that Crack DAT, mid way between. But who really knows as my PAT was not that great.

Great Job!

I hope my scores are just somewhere close. QR is going to be my lowest, and probably Gchem

Solid scores. Dental school is almost a certainty for you! Just have to nail those interviews with the rest of us now! haha

Good luck

nice job. i have a q to ask you:
when you say make sure to understand molarity and molality, what do you mean. what type of q's they ask from here?

did you have calculations that was long or the cal. was set up for you. also, i am really scared of bio, i think i know it but then i think i don't know it. i have gone through destroyer and AP Bio but i am not confident. what should i do?

also, for Ochem, what is the best way to really get 20 and up. what kind of LAb questions you had or what kind is most likely to appear? like acid and base, filtration or ... or NMR?

how can i get more NMR practice questions? i have done the ones from Destroyer but i feel i need more practice!

nice job. i have a q to ask you:
when you say make sure to understand molarity and molality, what do you mean. what type of q's they ask from here?

did you have calculations that was long or the cal. was set up for you. also, i am really scared of bio, i think i know it but then i think i don't know it. i have gone through destroyer and AP Bio but i am not confident. what should i do?

also, for Ochem, what is the best way to really get 20 and up. what kind of LAb questions you had or what kind is most likely to appear? like acid and base, filtration or ... or NMR?

how can i get more NMR practice questions? i have done the ones from Destroyer but i feel i need more practice!

Go back to your Ochem textbook fr more NMR practice.

Thank You everyone.

I have tons of materials that have no markings, I do not highlight or anything when I study, so PM me if you are in Tempe or the area.

way to go man! enjoy ur summer! any pointers to get rid of the jitters during test?

Thats a good question.

Sorry I dont really have much of an answer. I took a shower in the morning, I think that had a duel function, helped me wake up and cooled me down mentally, you know it was pretty relaxing I was in there for a while pretty sleeping but yeah, I normally do that before big tests, I think it helps.

I am fairly confident in everything I do so I dont have the jitters like some people do, but I dont know relax as much as you can, try to listen to some fun music on the way over. Before the test started take a few mins to chill out, take a few steady breaths. I did not do the starting tutorial at all. I know kaplan advises that you do it and "prep" your scratch board. But I had nothing to do and got bored really fast, so I dove right into the test. And the break I did not take the whole thing at all, I took about 7 mins, then went right back to testing.

Dont get to hung up on questions you dont know. Also take your time on the ones you can do. There are times when I know I can do the question mainly in ochem, but to make sure I got the right answer takes another 30 seconds and I feel so rushed I dont want to take it. I suggest you take that time and confirm 100% you get that one right.