DAT done! some thoughts and reflection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budda10000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
first off the scored
QR-18<--- fail
RC-22
bio-24:thumbup:
gchem 25:thumbup:
ochem 25:thumbup:
PAT-20
AA-23
TS-25
So the science sections were very fair in my opinion. The bio was heavy into genetics, physio/anatomy, and some ecology stuff. In my opinion DAT destroyer bio+ supplemental cliff notes reading on subject areas i was weak in actually prepped me more than any other material. The chem and ochem were your standard array of problems that you might see in topscore, DAT destroyer ect, and you either know it or you dont. PAT was much more difficult than my practice tests.. The keyhole section had some out and out bizaar shapes. In fact it was the only score that differed significantly in the negative from my practice scores. Overall not as bad as I expected and I am very satisfied with my score. If anyone has questions ill reply tot he best of my ability.

Members don't see this ad.

Fantastic job, congrats congrats congrats!
I take mine August 4th.
Although I'm studying my butt off, I still feel like I don't know all there is to know for the DAT. I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

I am not a biology major so I haven't taken Genetics.
1. What type of genetics stuff are we supposed to know for the DAT?
2. Will genetics from Cliffs and Destroyer Bio be sufficient?
3. Will ecology from using onlyCliffs be sufficient?
4. Is Chad's GChem and OChem good sufficient?

Thanks, and congratulations once again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great scores! Congrats....What were your practice PAT scores on Topscore/Crack PAT?
crack PAT mostly, i was scoring 22-23 on it so the pat score caught me by surprise. The keyhole questions were much harder on the real exam but the shape forming were easier... Im not amazing at visual stuff just ok.

Fantastic job, congrats congrats congrats!
I take mine August 4th.
Although I'm studying my butt off, I still feel like I don't know all there is to know for the DAT. I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.

I am not a biology major so I haven't taken Genetics.

1. What type of genetics stuff are we supposed to know for the DAT?
2. Will genetics from Cliffs and Destroyer Bio be sufficient?

3. Will ecology from using onlyCliffs be sufficient?

4. Is Chad's GChem and OChem good sufficient?
1) -I was am econ major and I excelled in chem.. bio wasnt my thing either.
know x-linked, autosomal recessive/dominant and their inheritance patterns on pedigrees. Know translation/transcirption inside and out. Know about crossover freq and how it relates to map distance. Know meiosis/mitosis inside and out. Know the diff between chromatids, sister chromatids, homologous chromosomes ect. Really just the basic stuff. DAT destroyer covers it all.
2)Destroyer yes, cliffs no way. I had also just finished a genetics class but we went into way more detail than you need to know. I used my bio book alot as well.
3) As far as I can tell yes..
4)didnt try it.. no opinion
Aslo like i said I HIGHLY recommend cliffs, anatomy/physio review if you havent taken coursework in it. Its only $7 on amazon and has everything you need to know. I was able to read through it in 2 days so its not that bad. Study it religously and make flashcards with all the hormones and where they are made.

crack PAT mostly, i was scoring 22-23 on it so the pat score caught me by surprise. The keyhole questions were much harder on the real exam but the shape forming were easier... Im not amazing at visual stuff just ok.

I am awful at PAT. Posts like this are scaring me. I haven't made higher than a 18-19 on crack pat or topscore PAT and my test is wednesday afternoon :scared:

I am awful at PAT. Posts like this are scaring me. I haven't made higher than a 18-19 on crack pat or topscore PAT and my test is wednesday afternoon :scared:

I didn't either until 4 days before test day then i got a 21 21 23... maybe the exams were just easy?

1) -I was am econ major and I excelled in chem.. bio wasnt my thing either.
know x-linked, autosomal recessive/dominant and their inheritance patterns on pedigrees. Know translation/transcirption inside and out. Know about crossover freq and how it relates to map distance. Know meiosis/mitosis inside and out. Know the diff between chromatids, sister chromatids, homologous chromosomes ect. Really just the basic stuff. DAT destroyer covers it all.
2)Destroyer yes, cliffs no way. I had also just finished a genetics class but we went into way more detail than you need to know. I used my bio book alot as well.
3) As far as I can tell yes..
4)didnt try it.. no opinion
Aslo like i said I HIGHLY recommend cliffs, anatomy/physio review if you havent taken coursework in it. Its only $7 on amazon and has everything you need to know. I was able to read through it in 2 days so its not that bad. Study it religously and make flashcards with all the hormones and where they are made.

Thanks for the great info. And congrats on a fine score! You are getting into dental school.

A few more questions if you don't mind me asking too:
1. How about taxonomy and physiology type of questions?
2. Cell metabolism/respiration? (that's my bread and butter in bio)
3. What method did you use in RC? Any crazy passages?
4. What happened in QR?

Very impressive to achieve those GC and OC scores without using Chad's.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info. And congrats on a fine score! You are getting into dental school.

A few more questions if you don't mind me asking too:
1. How about taxonomy and physiology type of questions?
2. Cell metabolism/respiration? (that's my bread and butter in bio)
3. What method did you use in RC? Any crazy passages?
4. What happened in QR?

Very impressive to achieve those GC and OC scores without using Chad's.

1. physio was some of the questions. some on human development, some on hormones. taxonomy not so much on my exam but I have heard it shows up. I certainly studied for it.
2.Cell metabolism/respiration is a given as far as I can tell. I knew all the processes in an overall sense like beginning and final products +where they occur in a cell.
3. RC I would read the question then turbo read for the answer, eventually as you go on you will have read most the passage anyway so questions will be easier to answer. Just keep note of the major paragraph subjects and you can cut down time spend hunting for answers significantly. Nothing to crazy no....
4. QR I think I was just too sure of myself. I took alot more math than was required in my undergrad so i figured I wouldn't study for it. I do not recommend this approach lol.