DAT done today!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shayan_4_Cal

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
took the DAT for the third time today. Here's my score.
Bio: 20
GC: 20
OC: 19
RC: 16 :thumbdown:
PAT: 21
TS: 20
AA: 19

The bio questions were harder and more detailed than what I expected. There were some difficult conceptual questions. For example, it asked: scientist did ... experiment on....animal and the results were ..... What does the result mean? Overall, I answered most of them correctly but with hesitation.

General Chem was streight forward. No tricks or intense calculation problems. This section helped catch up with time. Ochem questions were also easy and clear.
Campbell bio text book, topscore, Achiever and Destroyer are very helpfull material to practice for the science problems.

PAT was easier than Achiever, but they threw a couple of hard ones in it. If u practice with Achiever you'll do just fine.

RC: obviously it's the section I've always sucked at (English is my second language). I'm glad I didn't get lower.

QR was too bad also, very similar to Achiever, Topscore and destroyer. Don't waste you time practicing with Kaplan QR subject test problems. Kaplan practice problems are wordy, confusing and far from reality. On today's test, I saw about 3-4 really crazy and confusing questions on my DAT today that I simply didn't bother to answer.

I hope this helps those of you who are studying for the DAT. Can anyone with experience on the application process tell how badly my 16 RC would look on my application? Should I retake or not!? What schools I have a better chance to get in? I'm a bio major with Overall and Science GPA 3.15 in Bio graduated from UC Davis.

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

i know u asked for advice from ppl who have already done the application process---i sort-of already have done it (withdrew early) but here is my .02cents:

u should contact the adcoms about ur reading comp score and let them know whats up with ur overall situation and ask them if u should retake, email and call them, speak to someone!!, and do not apply to just a couple of schools, apply anywhere u think u have a decent shot with ur gpa and dat scores. oh i also read on sdn that some schools have cut offs for scores. so that too is a good reason to contact the schools ur interested in.

congrats on the scores. :thumbup: plus having english a second language does count for something when considering the 16! so it sorta works in ur favor!
cheers

yea dont worry, just explain ur situation and they should direct you in the right way, whatever that is. Anyways, have fun and enjoy the rest of the spring until its time for filling out application!!

Btw, what did you get on QR, and what were you getting on Topscore and Achiever practice tests?

Thanks for the advice. I sure feel better now haha,

I got 18 on QR. I was getting 16s and 17s on Topscore and Achiever. I felt that QR on the real DAT is easier. Just make sure to check your correct answers twice. On my practice test, it happened that I got the right answer but I clicked on the wrong answer choice.Same is true for PAT, specially in cube counting. It always helps to count twice and confirm the correct answer.
Good luck to all of you with studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I sure feel better now haha,

I got 18 on QR. I was getting 16s and 17s on Topscore and Achiever. I felt that QR on the real DAT is easier. Just make sure to check your correct answers twice. On my practice test, it happened that I got the right answer but I clicked on the wrong answer choice.Same is true for PAT, specially in cube counting. It always helps to count twice and confirm the correct answer.
Good luck to all of you with studying.

You did really good on PAT, was angle ranking impossible?

Angle Ranking wasn't too hard. Half of them were easy to rank, and the rest were similar to Achiever. I was getting 17,16,18 on achiever. The best way to do well on PAT is to 1) try to answer each one twice and make sure u get the same answer both times, and 2) go back and review the key and stare at the images and see for yourself why you got an answer correctly/incorrectly.

My RC percentile was 20%. I don't know why average reading score is a few point higher than 17. I think the 50% on RC is 19, but I might be wrong.
I've heard that ADA doesn't report the percentiles to the schools. Does anyone know about this?

Angle Ranking wasn't too hard. Half of them were easy to rank, and the rest were similar to Achiever. I was getting 17,16,18 on achiever. The best way to do well on PAT is to 1) try to answer each one twice and make sure u get the same answer both times, and 2) go back and review the key and stare at the images and see for yourself why you got an answer correctly/incorrectly.

My RC percentile was 20%. I don't know why average reading score is a few point higher than 17. I think the 50% on RC is 19, but I might be wrong.
I've heard that ADA doesn't report the percentiles to the schools. Does anyone know about this?

Yea, the only thing sent to school from ADA is peice of paper, an evelope size, to the school that has the raw score of each subject. However, they do have access to ADA and can go online and see how you did. Online, they see exactly the printed paper handed to you.