DAT Done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistBob

Reaction score
So having just taken the DAT, I figured I throw in my two cents re: DAT prep. I've lurked on SDN for a while but this is my first post and I wanted to share my story in case it helps someone yet to take the DAT.

The DAT was the biggest exam of my life (...well, the biggest since I sat for the Bar Exam 15 years ago at any rate). And fortunately, I'm able to share some good news with all of you, all thanks to the Destroyer books and classes. I can't speak to how good BC is since I didn't use it, so take that into consideration. But for me, DAT Destroyer really worked.

It was roughly a year ago that I decided to quit being a lawyer and chase the dream of becoming a dentist. I hadn't taken any sciences since high school and I was more than a little intimidated. After a promising start in my Bio and Gen Chem classes though, I signed up for the DAT having never taken Organic Chemistry before. The only thing I knew about Orgo was that it’s the bane of undergrads everywhere. But I realize now it doesn’t have to be if you're willing to put in the work.

I like to think I’m a decent student but I honestly could never have done as well as I did without DAT Destroyer. It definitely saved my sorry no-orgo-having ass from what would have been certain and ignominious annihilation at the hands of the DAT. Thanks to the Destroyer series (Orgo Odyssey is a godsend) and the live lectures that Dr. Romano teaches personally, I was more than prepared. Anyway, that's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Good luck

PA 22 / QR 21 / RC 24 / BIO 22 / GC 22 / ORGO 30 / TS 24 / AA 24
Scores.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So having just taken the DAT, I figured I throw in my two cents re: DAT prep. I've lurked on SDN for a while but this is my first post and I wanted to share my story in case it helps someone yet to take the DAT.

The DAT was the biggest exam of my life (...well, the biggest since I sat for the Bar Exam 15 years ago at any rate). And fortunately, I'm able to share some good news with all of you, all thanks to the Destroyer books and classes. I can't speak to how good BC is since I didn't use it, so take that into consideration. But for me, DAT Destroyer really worked.

It was roughly a year ago that I decided to quit being a lawyer and chase the dream of becoming a dentist. I hadn't taken any sciences since high school and I was more than a little intimidated. After a promising start in my Bio and Gen Chem classes though, I signed up for the DAT having never taken Organic Chemistry before. The only thing I knew about Orgo was that it’s the bane of undergrads everywhere. But I realize now it doesn’t have to be if you're willing to put in the work.

I like to think I’m a decent student but I honestly could never have done as well as I did without DAT Destroyer. It definitely saved my sorry no-orgo-having ass from what would have been certain and ignominious annihilation at the hands of the DAT. Thanks to the Destroyer series (Orgo Odyssey is a godsend) and the live lectures that Dr. Romano teaches personally, I was more than prepared. Anyway, that's my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Good luck

PA 22 / QR 21 / RC 24 / BIO 22 / GC 22 / ORGO 30 / TS 24 / AA 24
View attachment 290485
Congrats, but I don't know how is this your DAT "story" since the only thing you mentioned is OC and it sounded basically like an ad rather than an advice for success!!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats, but I don't know how is this your DAT "story" since the only thing you mentioned is OC and it sounded basically like an ad rather than an advice for success!!

OP says they have “lurked on SDN for a while” but their account was created on Tuesday, and they haven’t been active since Tuesday....the plot thickens!

Reactions: 1 users

Well, my "advice for success" is work really effing hard if there's some area you're perhaps weak on that appears on the DAT. I'd already taken Gen Chem and Bio when I started preparing for the DAT. So there's nothing to tell there. I'm pointing out Orgo because Destroyer helped tremendously considering I had never taken OC before. And it's not an ad just because someone had a good experience. Because according to your logic then, all those 5-star reviews on Amazon are advertisements.

OP says they have “lurked on SDN for a while” but their account was created on Tuesday, and they haven’t been active since Tuesday....the plot thickens!

Yes, I've "lurked" on here because you can look at this website without actually registering. And yes, I haven't been active since Tuesday. In case you didn't get the newsletter, it's Xmas! I figured after 4 months of non-stop studying for the DAT, I thought I'd do something crazy like relax with my family and have a life instead of waste my time on here.

Yes, I've "lurked" on here because you can look at this website without actually registering. And yes, I haven't been active since Tuesday. In case you didn't get the newsletter, it's Xmas! I figured after 4 months of non-stop studying for the DAT, I thought I'd do something crazy like relax with my family and have a life instead of waste my time on here.

He’s alive!

I was kidding, I assumed you made another account to post something because posting your DAT score on your main account might’ve given away who you were (people like their privacy). Congrats on the DAT score, you’ll have no problem getting an acceptance with a score like that.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, my "advice for success" is work really effing hard if there's some area you're perhaps weak on that appears on the DAT. I'd already taken Gen Chem and Bio when I started preparing for the DAT. So there's nothing to tell there. I'm pointing out Orgo because Destroyer helped tremendously considering I had never taken OC before. And it's not an ad just because someone had a good experience. Because according to your logic then, all those 5-star reviews on Amazon are advertisements.
Again, congratulation on the amazing scores!! I wasn't trying to pick a fight I just felt the post promised something in the beginning and then all it did is gave praise to a vendor.

Btw, Any platform where a vendor performance is gauged by customer reviews is rife with less-than-genuine reviews, especially Amazon, and usually the best way to check if the reviews are real is to make sure the reviewer had more than one review belonging to different vendors and make sure the language is specific to the product and not something general that fits anything on the market.

Good luck in your interviews although with these scores I doubt you will need much luck!!

Hey Everybody,
Just to provide an update, I just got the news that I've been accepted at NYU College of Dentistry. I couldn't be happier! This is a start of a new chapter in my life and I'm truly excited. If anyone has questions or, even better, any tips for succeeding at NYU, please feel free to reach out. I have a million questions of my own.
NYU Acceptance Letter.png

I'm confused, you took the DAT literally 1 month ago and you already got admission to a D school???

Either way nice job!

I'm confused, you took the DAT literally 1 month ago and you already got admission to a D school???

Either way nice job!

Im also a little confused about your “sorry no-Orgo-having ass” getting an acceptance with no Orgo...Are you taking Orgo right now?

Reactions: 2 users

Either way nice job!
Im also a little confused about your “sorry no-Orgo-having ass” getting an acceptance with no Orgo...Are you taking Orgo right now?
OP blocked out the dates on their DAT score sheet and on their acceptance email, so there's really no way of telling when they took the DAT/when they were accepted.

Either way, congrats on getting into a dental school OP. I think your next step should be figuring out how to minimize your costs and come out of NYU with the least amount of debt possible.

Well here's the deal. OP said he quit being a lawyer a year ago. This means he has had about 2 semesters to do his pre-reqs, he probably did 2 semesters of bio and 2 semesters of gen chem, took the DAT in December, and has yet to take Orgo if I'm understanding correctly.

Just a heads up OP, NYU requires 2 semesters of Orgo (Orgo 1 and 2, and also lab I'm guessing) before matriculation. Make sure you complete those so you don't get your acceptance rescinded or anything.

Yeah congrats on getting accepted, I think it’s pretty cool to read posts written by people changing their careers to become dentists.

Either way nice job!

Thank you. I had everything ready to go and submitted the formal AADSAS application right after my DAT. It took a couple of weeks for the official DAT score report to be sent to NYU. The Admissions office then emailed me to schedule an interview and I picked the earliest possible date. Also, keep in mind that NYU is trying to fill out their class now (largest dental school in the country) so if they see that someone is serious and committed to coming to NYU and they like you, why wouldn't they send out the acceptance sooner rather than later. I expected it to take a couple of more weeks as well so I'm pleased that the turnaround was so quick.

Last edited:
OP blocked out the dates on their DAT score sheet and on their acceptance email, so there's really no way of telling when they took the DAT/when they were accepted.

Either way, congrats on getting into a dental school OP. I think your next step should be figuring out how to minimize your costs and come out of NYU with the least amount of debt possible.

I took the DAT this past December 23, 2019, the day before Xmas. I'm not entirely clear why the date matters but there it is.

Well here's the deal. OP said he quit being a lawyer a year ago. This means he has had about 2 semesters to do his pre-reqs, he probably did 2 semesters of bio and 2 semesters of gen chem, took the DAT in December, and has yet to take Orgo if I'm understanding correctly.

Just a heads up OP, NYU requires 2 semesters of Orgo (Orgo 1 and 2, and also lab I'm guessing) before matriculation. Make sure you complete those so you don't get your acceptance rescinded or anything.

So that's exactly right. I finished up all my Physics, Bio and Gen Chem classes during the Spring and Summer (not easy but it is possible). I took Orgo I this past fall and I'm taking Orgo II now. Naturally, the acceptance is contingent upon successful completion of all prereqs, prior to matriculation. As long as I successfully complete Orgo II which will be in May, I'm good to go to begin at NYU in July (which is when their academic year begins now). This is a matter which I discussed with the Admissions office ahead of time. If it had been an issue they would have said so, I would have only applied next cycle. However, they do admit applicants who are finishing up requisite coursework, as is the case with me.