DAT extra time accommodations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eldirty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied for and been granted extra time for the DAT. I know when reading on the ADA website that special accommodations can be granted. If so were you asked about the accommodations during your interviews or not considered because you were granted extra time?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same question. For example, if you received extra time for the SAT, does the ADA consider that a signicant factor? The answer to the accommodation question will help decide whether to pursue a carreer in dentistry, so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have the same question. For example, if you received extra time for the SAT, does the ADA consider that a signicant factor? The answer to the accommodation question will help decide whether to pursue a carreer in dentistry, so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

They will not say that getting extra time on the DAT as a reason, but maybe for the same reason that you got extra time on the SAT.

good luck

The ADA will accommodate you based on certain qualifying disabilities you may have. Any special requirements you needed for the SAT should be granted to you for the DAT as well but you will need to contact the ADA for more specifics. The answer to the accommodation question should have little influence in your decision to pursue a career in dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tinman, unfortunately, the accommodations make a huge difference since a Saccadic (eye tracking) problem means reading is much slower than other DAT test takers... and makes completing time-crunched reading intensive sections next to impossible. In regular classroom settings and tests, it's not a problem... it's just standardized tests.

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess my next step is to call the ADA disability section.

I dont know how true this is but I remember reading here a few years ago that if you get extra time you end up with a nice little asterisks next to your score. Like I said, Im not sure if thats true or just typical SDN scaremonger behavior. I decided to just take it normally though just in case.

I dont know how true this is but I remember reading here a few years ago that if you get extra time you end up with a nice little asterisks next to your score. Like I said, Im not sure if thats true or just typical SDN scaremonger behavior. I decided to just take it normally though just in case.

I believe that is only valid for the MCAT not DAT.