DAT finihsed 7/13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ozn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PAT- 21
QR- 22 (98%?)
RC- 21
BIO- 18
GC- 21
OC- 24
TotS-20
AA- 21

I thought the PAT first 1 section was tough, and hole punching seemed much tougher than usual (took lot of time). Is it really reasonable to 22 for 98% for Quant? RC was really easy, too easy to be honest; I could barely finish 2 passages in my practice tests.For all the sciences I used Kaplan DAT, MCAT bio, and Barran's. Saw lot of questions I didn't know for Bio, I was hoping barrons would help me on that stuff but it failed :(. GC was easy but couple of toughies. OC was reasonable.

My gpa and science gpa: 3.0
Im applying to UMKC, Cwru, kentucky, and couple other ones...
my chances???

Members don't see this ad.

your gpa is little lower than average, but you got high overall dat score. I think you should be fine, but apply to many schools to be on a safer side.

You mentioned barrons didn't help you in bio, could you please explain more. I've read lot of good reviews for this book, but seems like it didn't help you much. How was bio different/difficult? Thanks

well, I had used the MCAT bio for lot of the bio section (human physiology, cell etc) except it didnt have lot of info necessary for DATs like environment, evolution, etc. The Kaplan DAT was a toned down version of MCAT with the evolution etc (not very useful). The barrons was very well organized but it felt like it didnt provide many details on lot of the sections.

If you are trying to improve your Bio section, the human body systems, cell structure and genetics, use the Kaplan MCAT guide, i found it very useful as it was much more detailed; the drawback is it doesnt give u lot of DAT type questions. For Everything else (classification, esp. the plant stuff!!!) all three books provided very basic information. There were some question that required me to knw lot of detail. In retrospect i thought i should have used my college bio text book, but it would have taken a lot of time to absorb for the DAT. Frankly, these books give u a very general outline of what is on the test. if you want to really do well, I would read a combo of Barron's and Mcat bio sections and at least glance through a general bio college text book, but thats just me. i read that destroyer or some other guide was very good for bio section, maybe try out other books...

Last edited: