1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

DAT Finished.... yay

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Panther85, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Panther85

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    First off... thanks to all that helped me out on this forum!!

and now the scores and comments:

Bio: 20- Well its a grab-bag! Its just too random!! I read campbells and i got 2 or 3 questions that I had no idea, but ironically there were definition questions that i could swear came right out of campbells word for word. i guess that makes sense since they do write questions from it. (if you didnt know that, you need to do a bit more reading on the DAT website).

What/How to study
    1) Buy an old edition on campbells (10 bucks off amazon).
    2) Buy cliffs ap biology 5 exams (10 bucks off amazon)
    http://www.amazon.com/CliffsAP-Biology-Practice-Exams-Cliffs/dp/0471770272
    3) Now the studying part! DO NOT TAKE EXAMS BEFORE UR DONE READING!!! its worthless to memorize random facts bc then ur trying to use arrows to hit a target instead of just driving a tank of knowledge to run over the target.
    4) So how to study- go to the dat website and print off the sections they test on. then read a corresponding chapter. campbells has over 55 chapters :mad:. yes its worthless to read about protist/moneran taxonomy. dont waste ur time... make study time efficient. if there is a bold term in campbells, know it if it pertains to something useful. dont memorize just to memorize. read campbells and enjoy it. ill never forget mimicry because i looked at the photos.
    5) test yourself when ur done! this is where learning random facts can bridge the loose ends about what you do/dont know.

GChem-19- I got hammered with calculation questions of 20 or more. I used an old chem textbook from college and just read it as well. i did the same method as bio. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME with Ksp questions involving crazy calculations... not worth it. know the basics, but know it COLD! I felt that Kaplan BB summarized everything well. get princetop AP chemistry to extend your review.

OChem-20- I wish this was the ACS exam. if you struggled in chem in college like me... do yourself a favor and admit it! I purchased this: http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Dummies-Arthur-Winter/dp/0764569023/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231302576&sr=1-1 This book EXPLAINS the crazy sht like hybridization and what the hell is the difference between SN1/2 etc. Lotta topics right out of Kaplan BB. and as always... destroyer was overkill!!

RC-21- well by that score u can assume i was not frapped. I didnt bother practicing RC. i felt that reading campbells was all the RC practice i needed.

PAT-18- just did TS and Kaplan. TFE was the hardest, but the figures were fair. read osama's post too.

QR-18- i had to pee. i recommend not drinking 2 glasses of water at break time. But I got thru the questions using kaplan techniques. Got everything under the sun asked from probability to trig. just go in this section with confident and make educated guesses... elimiate choices!

while i love all the ppl on sdn, i think some study ideas are flawed. please dont spend 8-9hrs a day! spend 4-5 and MAKE THEM COUNT! dont BS your reading. actually talk about it to urself. like when i got a cut, i recited steps of coaggulation to myself. or when i saw a squirrel outside i thought of alltruisitic behavior and loops of henle. (yes i know its ******ed, but it works)

U can PM with questions, but dont bother asking if "X" was on the exam. Chances are 1 in a million u get the same test

#1 Panther85, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  2. salamanda

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Mkl

#2 salamanda, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  3. Navy doc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Panther85,
    Congrats great scores.
    By the way do your dat scores resemble your TS and BB practice test scores.

4. Panther85

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    no way i read the whole book.... go to the ADA website and look at the student guide. it has a list of sections that the exam tests for. For example it says vertebrae embryology so i read any chapter that pertains to it. i omitted useless sections such as moneran and protist taxonomy. oddly enough there were pictures in the book that i could sware popped in my head when i saw the question they related to.

for TS scores- i was getting far lower on those. between 17-18 on sciences/

5. Navy doc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Now thats a smart way to study :thumbup:.
    Anyways I have some hope since my practice TS scores rangen from 17-19, as well.:oops:

6. gentile1225

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    yea, i feel the same way now, ive been getting 17-19 too. and ive been using crack dat pat and scoring 18/19.

not to steal your spotlight though navydoc, good job! thanks for the breakdown, good luck. what are your top choices?

7. drillbit

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Great scores! Bet it feels good 2 be done!

8. joedat41

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    great scores good luck applying!!

9. doc3232

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Congrats man, solid scores across the board.
    Didn't study RC and still nailed it...

10. Danny289

Danny289 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    congrat. nice scores :thumbup:

11. Albuterol

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  12. Panther85

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
  13. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
  14. eldirty

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Congrats and GL to you

15. rdh2dds26

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what campbells book r u referring to? do you have link for that? thanks!

16. Panther85

2+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
  17. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    nice scores. well done.