DAT (GC + OC + BIO) Level???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shangul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ,
I already have my B.Arts degree, and recently decided to go back to school and take 2 years in sciences to enter a U.S dental school starting in Fall of 2010.

I am going to take the the following science courses this Fall, at UofToronto, before taking American DAT next Summer (Aug 2009):
OC (1 Sem= 3 credit) --CHM 138 @UofT
GC (1 Sem= 3 credit) --CHM 139 @UofT
BIO (2 Sem= 6 Credit) --BIO 150 @UofT
My Question: I was wondering if the above courses would be compatible with what I am going to be tested on the American DAT (survey of natural sciences: Organic Chem + General Chem + Bio)?

I'd appreciate it if you could answer my question.... thanks in advance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s After I take the DAT (Aug 2009), I will take the additional 1 Sem OC +
1 Sem GC (to satisfy dental school prerequisite requirements for OC & GC).
Here is the UofT course description, should you want to check what is covered in CHM 138, 139 & BIO 150:
http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/timetable/winter/sponsors.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Heh......

OC = very compatible --> Right after taking course, DAT should be in 22+ range (but make sure you take both CHM138 and CHM247 DAT covers both)

GC = very compatible as well not so much as OC, but good enough (only need CHM139)

Bio = Not so compatible (audit some 3rd year courses related to human/animal physiology

I suggest PSL302, ANA301 (the beginnings for embryology), CSB325 (endocrinology).

Why U of Toronto :D this place is a hell for GPA for Life Science students...(i keep asking myself why the hell I am attending here...My current dentist attended U of T, came out with 3.1 GPA and went to American Pharm school, came out with 97% average and got into Tufts Dental School....)

try to take CHM247 for sure....You will need it, BIO150 not so much.

Hope it helped.

OChem you're pretty good, you can learn the rest yourself, same goes for GChem. Though i would still recommend taking GChem 2.

Bio, definitely need more.
I have the following Bio courses behind me and i still struggle in that Bio section:
Environmental Bio - 3 Creds
General Bio 1 & 2 w/Labs - 8 Creds
Human Anatomy & Physiology 1 & 2 w/Labs - 8 Creds
Biochemistry - 3 Creds

But then again my worst subject is Bio. But still i noticed from practicing for the exam that a lot of Anatomy & Physiology questions pop up, a couple of biochem, and the rest Bio 1 & 2.

Umm...personally, taking the DAT would be very tough for me without taking all the classes I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take two courses of gchem [I and II], two courses of Ochem and two courses of Bio, and probably a precalc class and you will be set.
There are questions from both sections of Ghcem and Ochem, so taking DAT after taking one course in ochem and gchem would not be adequate. NO WAY!

unless you plan on studying like CRAZY by your own and basically teaching yourself orgo II and chem II and upper level bio classes, you should take more science.

2 Orgos
2 Gen Chems
2 Intro Bio + Human Anatomy/Phys + Genetics + Upper Cell Bio

And you'll be set