DAT GEN CHEM DESTROYER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vienne16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've just started doing gen chem destroyer and out of 30 questions I was able to do about 3... Ive watched all of Mikes Gen chem videos about 2 weeks ago and did well on the short quizzes so I don't understand how I could have forgotten all that info already. Does anyone have any advice?? My test date is in 5 weeks so should I postpone it or just average out 10hr days form here on ?

Members don't see this ad.

Do not worry! DAT Destroyer is very hard! I was in the same boat, focus on Bootcamp for OC and GC, I used Destroyer primarily for Bio and QR.

Reactions: 1 user
Do not worry! DAT Destroyer is very hard! I was in the same boat, focus on Bootcamp for OC and GC, I used Destroyer primarily for Bio and QR.
So happy I'm not the only one that struggled on destroyer, it really made me have a mental breakdown and think about a route other than dentistry.

If you were only able to do 3 problems then you probably don't have a solid understanding of the material. Gen chem in the destroyer only has a few hard hard problems every 30 questions, most of them just require additional steps, but if you know the fundamentals then the steps are easy, but it just takes time. i.e. Remember to balance equations, limiting reagents, net ionic equations, know what elements are soluble, which are basic and acidic, etc. Also, the questions seem to repeat with a clear pattern testing the same concepts once you keep doing problems.

Since you have 5 weeks I recommend just grinding through the problems and looking in the back to see how to do them. Your first run just use it as a refresher and don't get agitated, just keep looking in the back to see how it's done. Then run through the problems again but this time actually try to do the problems without looking in the back. Destroyer does a great job to truly see if you understand the fundamentals, that's what I've noticed and I'm glad I'm using it. I did so far about 250 problems in GC, where I review my notes and hit the back of the book if I get stuck and it solidifies my understanding of the things I suck at. I plan on finishing it and then doing it again without assistance. Right now I'm just using it as a study tool and review more than practice in a sense. It really helps and last night I scored a 24 and 23 on GC bootcamp exams because of it. On those 2 exams it had a few problems I got wrong in destroyer like ksp and knowing which elements are basic and acidic, but when I encountered them on bootcamp I had full confidence to get them right and finished them within 30 seconds. I also finished bio destroyer and scored a 30 and 24 on bio bootcamp exam. Also, I'm 2 weeks out.

From experience, try to do at least 30 problems in it a day because if you push it off, you will hate your future self lol. I do 50GC, 50 OC, and 100 bio problems a day. Or at least try to. Trust me do the problems in them, it will pay off. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user