Dat- General chemistry section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2thDoc11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard from a lot of test takers that they had very few calculations on this section. Although when using the study materials I have, it seems like the vast majority of the questions are calculations. What types of questions do they ask that are application-type problems? How do i know im covering those topics? I have a general idea but not 30 questions worth. Also is the orgo section mostly reactions?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard from a lot of test takers that they had very few calculations on this section. Although when using the study materials I have, it seems like the vast majority of the questions are calculations. What types of questions do they ask that are application-type problems? How do i know im covering those topics? I have a general idea but not 30 questions worth. Also is the orgo section mostly reactions?
There are many versions of the exam and they are not all the same. You need to go in fully prepared and ready for anything. I can tell you that some versions of the GC have a lot of calculations and some don't. To assure the highest score possible prepare for all possibilities. When a student responds they are referring to their test experience, yours might not be the same.

Good luck in your studies #think30...Nancy

You never really know what you are going to see on the exam. There are reactions and there is theory for both organic chemistry and general chemistry, so you need to know both really well. The best way to do this is to use the 2020 DAT Destroyer, and know all of the problems in the book. This book covers theory and reactions, and leaves nothing to chance. Your test will most likely not be the same as anyone else's that you spoke with, and you need to be prepared for anything. You can also check out the 2020 Official DAT Destroyer and OAT Destroyer Facebook Study Group. There is a study guide with how to use the DAT Destroyer, and lots of other free resources available there. Best of luck to you!