DAT General Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PorkChop4Life

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys this is my first post...

I'm taking my DAT Aug 14, and I feel perfectly confident in Biology, Ochem, PAT, QRT, and more or less RCT. However, Gchem is worrying me - I took Gchem 1 and 2 over the summer (so it may have been watered down) and I have reviewed all of my class notes, as well as Kaplan purple book, Barron's, and a website I found with chapter outlines and sample problems.

I was wondering what you guys feels is the best method of preparation for the gchem section? Also - are light problems included on the DAT?
ex) Wavelength, frequency, Planck's Constant, etc etc. ?

Thanks for the help, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would write down all the important formulas and understand the reasoning/theory behind them. That way, even if you're caught off guard (a question type you haven't seen), you can reason through and figure it out.

Also, practice getting speedy with calculation problems. There can be shortcuts to calculations - some you can estimate quite accurately without or with minimal writing down. (Chad's videos helped. Also, I've heard MCAT examkrackers for chemistry shows lots of hints and tips? Not entirely sure though.)

Gen chem is a tricky subject with a a lot of variables on the DAT......your gon get a variety of questions on this topic.......your best bet is to read kaplan review book and make urself notes with all the formulas and side notes......and try to get their subject tests as well........after you feel confident in that........you wanna get a destroyer for not only gen chem but everything but make sure u review everything before going on to this.......gen chem is practice practice practice.......once you see the variety of questions u'll know ur weaknesses and strengths and focus on those. best of luck

thanks for the responses - but is wavelength / planck's constant / properties of light on the DAT? I can't seem to find anything about it relative to the DAT but I want to ensure it's not on there before I decide to skip that section.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses - but is wavelength / planck's constant / properties of light on the DAT? I can't seem to find anything about it relative to the DAT but I want to ensure it's not on there before I decide to skip that section.

I haven't taken the actual DAT yet, but its shown up in a couple of practice questions. Just know it :thumbup:, easy to memorize and its not worth missing a question over, ya dig? :luck:

Maybe memorize the different wavelengths of light...like which is a longer wavelength: UV or radio? etc.