DAT in 12 days...advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anna Marie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I will be taking the DAT for the first time on June 3rd, and (obviously) I am incredibly stressed. I have studied for almost 6 months, and these last few weeks I'm averaging about 7/8 hours a day. I have watched and taken notes on all of Chad's videos, religiously taken mini practice test after practice test in every section on Bootcamp, and have taken the free online Kaplan tests and read the Kaplan Blue Book. I guess what I'm wondering is- how representative are the BC scores compared to the real thing? I made a 19 on the last BC practice test, and my overall GPA is a 3.96 with a science GPA of 3.9, so what do you think I need to shoot for to get into my state school (average acceptance is a 19)? Could I make an 18 and compensate with GPA and interview?? Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Do not have that attitude of going in and shooting for an 18. You've studied for a long time. Even if you feel nervous, have confidence to go in and kill it!

On average, people tend to do better than bootcamp. However, some do worse. What school do you go to? If there is a huge gap between your GPA and DAT then that may raise some red flags (grade inflation).

If I were you, I'd go in shooting for a 24 and be ecstatic if I got it. 22-23: fantastic job, 19-21: solid and you shouldn't have any issue getting in somewhere. 17 and less, you should think about a retake.

Reactions: 2 users
Do not have that attitude of going in and shooting for an 18. You've studied for a long time. Even if you feel nervous, have confidence to go in and kill it!

On average, people tend to do better than bootcamp. However, some do worse. What school do you go to? If there is a huge gap between your GPA and DAT then that may raise some red flags (grade inflation).

If I were you, I'd go in shooting for a 24 and be ecstatic if I got it. 22-23: fantastic job, 19-21: solid and you shouldn't have any issue getting in somewhere. 17 and less, you should think about a retake.
Thank you for your prompt reply! I attend Samford University in Alabama.

Thank you for your prompt reply! I attend Samford University in Alabama.

That's funny because I go to UAB, looks like I got competition. Just kidding your GPA blows my GPA out of the water! Anyways I take my DAT around the same time as you, kind of nervous and stressed too hahah. For your GPA, I would say 19 and great ECs would get you an UAB interview for sure. Shoot for a 20+ and you have a high chance to get accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats funny because I go to UAB, looks like I got competition. Just kidding your GPA blows my GPA out of the water! Anyways I take my DAT around the same time as you, kind of nervous and stressed too hahah. For your GPA, I would say 19 and great ECs would get you an UAB interview for sure. Shoot for a 20+ and you have a high chance to get accepted.
Well hey, neighbor! Good luck to you and thanks for the encouragement!

State schools are usually selective. So, you always need to aim higher with your incredible GPA, you can go places, big places!
So don't limit yourself and don't worry. I think you can do it, just relax a bit and if you think your dat is not good enough you can postpone for another week if need be.

State schools are usually selective. So, you always need to aim higher with your incredible GPA, you can go places, big places!
So don't limit yourself and don't worry. I think you can do it, just relax a bit and if you think your dat is not good enough you can postpone for another week if need be.
Thank you!!