DAT in <2 weeks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pfg459

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am taking the DAT in <2weeks. I have been studying since the end of January.

I've taken extensive notes from Chad's ochem and gchem, as well as great notes from cliffs AP bio and anki flashcards.

I took topscores first test for the sciences the other day, I received an 18 on bio, and a 21 in chem and ochem..

My scores on datqvault for biology range from 18-20 on the first 6 tests, I am going to take the last 4 soon.

My PAT tests on crackdatpat are between 20 and 22 on the first 5 tests.

I am fine with QR and RC - 22+ across the board on those.

I have gone through chad's tests multiple times, as well as gone through destroyer about 3x - scoring around an 85% on my second and third try.

What are your suggestions for these last two weeks? I am thinking about getting Achiever and taking a test every other day up until test day. But right now my scores are worrying me... Although I feel like I am ready to go ahead and take the DAT, an 18 in bio on topscore scares me.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry to much about the scores from Topscore. Try to learn from you mistakes and study in areas that you are weak at. Achiever is not worth getting now because it will just kill your confidence. I was getting 16 and 17 on Topscore biology and ended up with a 19 bio on the real DATs. Many people I have hit like 17-18 on Topscore bio but end up getting like 22-23 on the real exam. You need to go to the exam with confidence. Stay confident and if you have to push it back a week or two than do that instead. Good Luck but I think your fine.

I wouldn't worry to much about the scores from Topscore. Try to learn from you mistakes and study in areas that you are weak at. Achiever is not worth getting now because it will just kill your confidence. I was getting 16 and 17 on Topscore biology and ended up with a 19 bio on the real DATs. Many people I have hit like 17-18 on Topscore bio but end up getting like 22-23 on the real exam. You need to go to the exam with confidence. Stay confident and if you have to push it back a week or two than do that instead. Good Luck but I think your fine.

Thank you for the reply,

I am confident in how I will do on the test at the moment. Your right, I don't need achiever making me feel like I am not ready. I am ready for it, and this next week and a half of going over concepts will make it all that much better.

You're doing well! Like Game33 said, confidence is KEY to doing well on ANY exam! Practice tests such as Topscore and Achiever are absolutely NOT indicative of your real scores. With that in mind, if you feel that scoring low with Achiever (which most people do) will affect your confidence levels, I wouldn't bother. Those exams are more for acquiring random sniplets of information you may not have otherwise known. As a side note, it might be a good decision to pick up Achiever for the PAT section. It seems most people that take the time to do write-ups seem to think that CDP is not currently representative of all the PAT sections and that Achiever does a better job at it.

You should also look into taking the free sample DAT:

http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/dat_test_sampleitems.pdf

The 2009 DAT exam is also a MUST buy. It will be the exam that is most indicative of your real DAT score.

As for the last two weeks, I would suggest to work out a solid BIO study schedule. Leave things like the Biological Diversity chapter in cliffs to the last few days so you can keep those things fresh in your mind. You seem really solid on the OC / GC front so I wouldn't worry too much about them. Make sure you work on your test taking strategies if you haven't already!

I'm looking forward to reading your success in two weeks! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Your practice test results seem good. For the last two weeks I suggest you lightly review everything, while really drilling any concepts that you don't know too well. Definitely review all of the questions you got wrong on your practice tests and make sure you know why you got the wrong answer, and how to do them correctly (especially gchem, ochem, and qr). And as everyone else said, just go in with confidence. It's really a mental thing, once you have everything thing else down. You'll be fine and good luck to you!

Also make sure to get your sleeping schedule worked out so that you can be wide awake in case your test is early in the morning.

Hello all,

I've taken extensive notes from Chad's ochem and gchem, as well as great notes from cliffs AP bio and anki flashcards.

I took topscores first test for the sciences the other day, I received an 18 on bio, and a 21 in chem and ochem..

My scores on datqvault for biology range from 18-20 on the first 6 tests, I am going to take the last 4 soon.

I have gone through chad's tests multiple times, as well as gone through destroyer about 3x - scoring around an 85% on my second and third try.

What are your suggestions for these last two weeks? I am thinking about getting Achiever and taking a test every other day up until test day. But right now my scores are worrying me... Although I feel like I am ready to go ahead and take the DAT, an 18 in bio on topscore scares me.

Thank you!

You're going to kill it, dude!

Hello all,

Thank you!

i think we're done here.

j/k: light refreshes to make sure you don't lose major concepts. no need to go overboard with practice exams.

Question on the QR section...

I took a datqvault test and received a 22, with about 5 minutes left over.

I time myself on math destroyer, and do very well --- But I rely heavily on the calculator. (I use the computer calculator with BASIC math functions)

Will I be able to rely on the calculator on the real DAT?

It depends on the center. The one I took it had slow computers and it tended to lag a bit. SO I had to wait for the numbers to appear and make sure everything I entered went in correctly. I have heard other people say they had no issues though.