DAT in 5 days... what should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureDDS247

Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently studying to take the DAT on August 10th, in 5 days. I have been studying full time for almost 2 months and feeling more prepared than I was the first time taking it. I took it last year around this time and scored an 18 AA and a 17 TS. I am definitely feeling better than I did the first time but still nervous and wanting some advice on how to best use this last weekend for studying.

I have a bootcamp subscription and have taken 4 full length exams and all the subject exams for all the science subjects. I don't want to keep taking practice exams because I feel like I have memorized some of the answers so I feel like my time would be better spent in other ways. I have done Bio and Orgo destroyer once and am halfway through General chem. I plan on finished general chemistry by tomorrow. Should I try and get through the destroyer book again? I believe I could get it all done over the weekend since I have been through it once already.

I took the 2007 ADA exam (just the science section) and scored a 18 Bio, 23 Gen Chem, and 30 Orgo. It is my understanding that this is much easier than the actual exam, so I was concerned about my Bio score. I messed up on some easy questions that I knew I should get right. I have read that some people have taken the $100 ADA exam and that it is a closer representative to the real DAT. I have heard that you don't get to see your answers and that it is a waste of money.

I apologize about being all over the place, I am just looking for some advice for what people did in there last week or so that they thought paid off the most. Whether it was going through Destroyer problems or just doing a review over everything, I would love to hear any advice. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am sure others will chime in, but I have worked with thousands of students through the years and IMO your time would be best spent in the days leading up to the exam focusing on any areas of weakness, would love to see you finish the Orgo and GC in the Destroyer. Your scores on the 2007 exam tells me you have a good understanding but does not predict a score. That 18 in Bio is a little concerning so if you have time I would try to get through the Bio again.

Wishing you the best..take care...#think30....Nancy

Hello,

I am currently studying to take the DAT on August 10th, in 5 days. I have been studying full time for almost 2 months and feeling more prepared than I was the first time taking it. I took it last year around this time and scored an 18 AA and a 17 TS. I am definitely feeling better than I did the first time but still nervous and wanting some advice on how to best use this last weekend for studying.

I have a bootcamp subscription and have taken 4 full length exams and all the subject exams for all the science subjects. I don't want to keep taking practice exams because I feel like I have memorized some of the answers so I feel like my time would be better spent in other ways. I have done Bio and Orgo destroyer once and am halfway through General chem. I plan on finished general chemistry by tomorrow. Should I try and get through the destroyer book again? I believe I could get it all done over the weekend since I have been through it once already.

I took the 2007 ADA exam (just the science section) and scored a 18 Bio, 23 Gen Chem, and 30 Orgo. It is my understanding that this is much easier than the actual exam, so I was concerned about my Bio score. I messed up on some easy questions that I knew I should get right. I have read that some people have taken the $100 ADA exam and that it is a closer representative to the real DAT. I have heard that you don't get to see your answers and that it is a waste of money.

I apologize about being all over the place, I am just looking for some advice for what people did in there last week or so that they thought paid off the most. Whether it was going through Destroyer problems or just doing a review over everything, I would love to hear any advice. Thank you in advance!

I competed all of the tests on Bootcamp. It was a good help. You only memorize answers if you are retaking the same test. BootCamp has 10 practice tests I did all 10 and 300 destroyer biology questions. Destroyer is good for additional practice.. I used it as a way to break down questions & familiarize myself with potential wrong answers and right ones. Taking practice exams helped me score highest with organic chemistry! You have to practice with organic and such that is how you will retain and understand the mechanisms... time spent effectively is tackling every problem you possibly can. It’s one thing to learn and understand but if you don’t apply it’s hard to make the connection. Destroyer organic questions are far more complex than the actual exam/ gen chem is harder in destroyer but it’s good practice.. I did all the Bootcamp exams and 200 organic in destroyer and 200 gen chem and finished destroyer QR section. BootCamp is more similar though and I took the ADA organic and bio test and they were very similar to my exam that I took two days ago.

I competed all of the tests on Bootcamp. It was a good help. You only memorize answers if you are retaking the same test. BootCamp has 10 practice tests I did all 10 and 300 destroyer biology questions. Destroyer is good for additional practice.. I used it as a way to break down questions & familiarize myself with potential wrong answers and right ones. Taking practice exams helped me score highest with organic chemistry! You have to practice with organic and such that is how you will retain and understand the mechanisms... time spent effectively is tackling every problem you possibly can. It’s one thing to learn and understand but if you don’t apply it’s hard to make the connection. Destroyer organic questions are far more complex than the actual exam/ gen chem is harder in destroyer but it’s good practice.. I did all the Bootcamp exams and 200 organic in destroyer and 200 gen chem and finished destroyer QR section. BootCamp is more similar though and I took the ADA organic and bio test and they were very similar to my exam that I took two days ago.

My last week before my exam I practiced ALOT because I wanted to pickup on the same mistakes I’ve been making. The same automatic errors engrained in my brain I wanted to change and I was able to do that. With organic I went over ALL the reactions and made a sheet that said “weird reactions” reactions that I constantly got wrong I made sure they wouldn’t trick me on exam day... I made sure I knew what reactions were Syn additions, anti maokovnikov etc. because those details do matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, thank you! I have completed all 10 Bootcamp exams so mainly just been reviewing everything the past two days! What browser did you use while taking the ADA tests? I have been trying to take the ADA subject tests on Google Chrome and every time I try and purchase them, it says something about the payment not being processed. But then I look at my credit card, and I have pending charges for the tests I tried to purchase? Was wondering if that was a browser issue and considering trying with Safari. Thanks again!

Awesome, thank you! I have completed all 10 Bootcamp exams so mainly just been reviewing everything the past two days! What browser did you use while taking the ADA tests? I have been trying to take the ADA subject tests on Google Chrome and every time I try and purchase them, it says something about the payment not being processed. But then I look at my credit card, and I have pending charges for the tests I tried to purchase? Was wondering if that was a browser issue and considering trying with Safari. Thanks again!

I did it on my Mac so safari! Might’ve been a browser issue. Good luck on everything though