DAT in August

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarolinaCrown

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm just curious on the consensus of my situation.

I originally had my DAT scheduled for July 11, and feel totally unprepared due to family and personal circumstances. I'm debating pushing it to August 8th. I'm wondering if this is too late or not.

All other aspects of my application are in. GPA is 3.49.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not ideal but if the rest of your application is received by dental schools and is only pending DAT scores, you might as well take it early August if you have to. I think it's better to apply a few weeks later with a higher score than a few weeks earlier unprepared.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since your GPA is right in the average region, your DAT score will be a very important factor leading to your acceptance. I wouldn't go much later than early August. If that's what you have to do to have a stronger score, it will be worth it.

Wow I was about to create a post just like this, but this is eerily similar haha. My DAT is scheduled for July 11 as well. GPA is the same 3.49. This year has just been hell for me..same as OP...family and personal circumstances. Only difference is I have yet to submit my application yet. Looks like I will have to push DAT back to early August as well. Is it even worth it to apply this year, or should I just wait to apply next year?

OP...don't mean to hijack your thread. I just figured since our situations are similar, the advice would benefit us both. Best of luck to you.

The bottom line is: take the dat when you are ready.
Taking it now when you are not ready will complicate things even more especially now that you already under a lot of stress and pressure you don't want your future to be messed up on top of that.

Hey all,

I'm just curious on the consensus of my situation.

I originally had my DAT scheduled for July 11, and feel totally unprepared due to family and personal circumstances. I'm debating pushing it to August 8th. I'm wondering if this is too late or not.

All other aspects of my application are in. GPA is 3.49.

Definitely push back the DAT to aig 8. The last thing you want to do is go in and take the DAT when you are unprepared. Dont move the DAT any further back than august 8th, as you dont want to submit your app too late. Focus on getting that good DAT score, its a big part of one's application. Good luck!

Definitely push back the DAT to aig 8. The last thing you want to do is go in and take the DAT when you are unprepared. Dont move the DAT any further back than august 8th, as you dont want to submit your app too late. Focus on getting that good DAT score, its a big part of one's application. Good luck!

Why August 8th?

I agree with everyone to push the date until you feel more ready. The only thing to add is to really make that extra time count! I put my study schedule into google calendar with reminders every day, and have a list of study topics I check off as I go. I try to only deviate if there are emergencies. A few extra weeks can make a world of difference if used wisely!

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with everyone to push the date until you feel more ready. The only thing to add is to really make that extra time count! I put my study schedule into google calendar with reminders every day, and have a list of study topics I check off as I go. I try to only deviate if there are emergencies. A few extra weeks can make a world of difference if used wisely!
I ended up pushing my date back to August 8th as well :)