DAT in one week... need quick advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lola1115

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My DAT is on Monday and I have not practiced RC bc english is my first language and I thought, how hard could it be? Well I just took a practice test and did absolutely horrible and if I scored this on the DAT that would not be good. Do you guys think 1 week is ok to get my RC skills up, and how would you go about doing this, if so?
If not, should I reschedule? I feel like it's already late to be taking DAT and rescheduling would make it worse

Members don't see this ad.

My DAT is on Monday and I have not practiced RC bc english is my first language and I thought, how hard could it be? Well I just took a practice test and did absolutely horrible and if I scored this on the DAT that would not be good. Do you guys think 1 week is ok to get my RC skills up, and how would you go about doing this, if so?
If not, should I reschedule? I feel like it's already late to be taking DAT and rescheduling would make it worse

Hey! First off, I commend you for being diligent on the RC, especially when english isnt your first language, quite noble!

First off, I just posted a breakdown, and it may help you out with some general advice!

Second, let me tell you right off the bat that I was horrible at RC at first (I mean, I scored 21 on the actual. It's GOOD but it's not like perfect..so take my advice with a grain of salt). I am a slow reader, and it doesnt mater how many articles i read or what I do to practice...I need to read slow.

I tried almost every RC strategy out there...first I did S&D which is good, but risky. I suggest looking at @BYU4you 's RC advice, which as helped a lot of students..it's great!

Unfortunately, it didnt work for me, so my backup strategy was skimming the article, and then going to answer the questions. I think this is good to get 20+, and helps if you read slower.

I think you should try it out with a practice exam...see if it works! if by Friday you dont feel comfy, theres no harm in rescheduling... I did it twice!

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

Reactions: 1 users
I will check it out, thank you!

In regards to rescheduling.: it seems there are later dates in August in case I don't feel ready by Friday . I'm applying for this cycle.. I've already submitted AADSAS just waiting on GPA to be calculated. Is August 15 fine? Bc if I don't do well then now we're talking mid Nov... Eh

I think August 15 is fine, as long as you do well! I believe @orgoman22 mentioned that plenty of their students will be taking the exam in August, and they will do well.

Remember: take the exam when you are ready. I cannot emphasize this enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think August 15 is fine, as long as you do well! I believe @orgoman22 mentioned that plenty of their students will be taking the exam in August, and they will do well.

Remember: take the exam when you are ready. I cannot emphasize this enough!

Lola1115 this is excellent advice given by Virtual.

The best advice I can ever give a student is, "Do NOT take the DAT until you are fully prepared". If you have a doubt it is always best to reschedule. Many students reschedule and are glad they did.

The main focus should be Destroying the DAT, as you stated if you do not do well you have to wait 90 days for retake. Better to postpone a weeks now and take only once.

Just my 2 cents

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Nancy. I just realized a few weeks back that you guys are located in SI,NY. I live there and could have definitely used a tutoring course for this test. Wish I knew about it sooner :( I used the Destroyer & Math Destroyer so thank you for that

Also, I feel like I have studied for SO long at this point, that my studying the passed few days has been awful and all over the place. I am having a hard time staying concentrated bc this has been such a long process. I think prolonging it might actually work against me.. I kinda just want to take it and be done with it... thoughts?

Also, I feel like I have studied for SO long at this point, that my studying the passed few days has been awful and all over the place. I am having a hard time staying concentrated bc this has been such a long process. I think prolonging it might actually work against me.. I kinda just want to take it and be done with it... thoughts?
once you get to that point, you're ready! Go ace your test :)

I just took the DAT this past weekend and I was in the same boat as you - I really wanted to reschedule because I didn't feel ready but I wanted to get it over with and I also submitted my AADSAS so I didn't want to push the test back. I personally think that if RC is the only section that you're not comfortable with then you can definitely improve your score within a week (granted that you work on RC a few hours a day until your test comes). Get your hands on some practice tests and try out the different strategies. Once you find one that fits you best, just do drills and you'll definitely see an improvement in your stamina and results. I found that Crack the DAT had a really good RC component and the questions/passages were pretty similar. Also, on all of my practice tests I was scoring between 17-20 and on the real DAT I ended up getting a 24, so if you put in the work doing tons of practice tests you can definitely see some improvement. If you decide to keep the test on Monday, then study hard for these next few days and take Sunday off to relax. You don't want to go into the exam burned out. Best of luck on whichever route you decide to go with

Find the strategy that works best for you when attacking the RC. That's the fastest way of improving

Well, went up from a 15 to 17 to 19 in 3 days... I'd say that is progress! I think I found my strategy, going to keep working at it till Monday =) thanks guys!

Well, went up from a 15 to 17 to 19 in 3 days... I'd say that is progress! I think I found my strategy, going to keep working at it till Monday =) thanks guys!
Very nice! Keep up the hard work...success is right around the corner..you got this!

So here is the deal. I feel I am set for GC, OC, and PAT - haven't gotten below a 17 on any of those sections practice tests, averaging a 20-23. However, math I will NEVER feel ready. I have kinda just accepted that. Also - BIO! lately I have scored consistent 16s on bootcamp!! this is absolutely freaking me out. My test is on Monday and bc of these bio scores I am really leaning toward rescheduling... On Wednesday I have to get on a plane and leave for a week and during this week I will not really be able to study. My reschedule date will probably be Aug 12 if I do,, that is kinda the only availability @ prometric by where I live. That week off may totally throw me off.. so that is why I am kinda leaning towards not rescheduling at this point.... please help :hungover:

I know I am going back and fourth with this...

So here is the deal. I feel I am set for GC, OC, and PAT - haven't gotten below a 17 on any of those sections practice tests, averaging a 20-23. However, math I will NEVER feel ready. I have kinda just accepted that. Also - BIO! lately I have scored consistent 16s on bootcamp!! this is absolutely freaking me out. My test is on Monday and bc of these bio scores I am really leaning toward rescheduling... On Wednesday I have to get on a plane and leave for a week and during this week I will not really be able to study. My reschedule date will probably be Aug 12 if I do,, that is kinda the only availability @ prometric by where I live. That week off may totally throw me off.. so that is why I am kinda leaning towards not rescheduling at this point.... please help :hungover:

I know I am going back and fourth with this...

Are you trying to apply this cycle?

Yes already submitted AADSAS. I'm pretty sure it's too late to resched test so I'm committed to Monday. Feeling pretty confident after taking 2007 ADA DAT

Good Luck! And for Math, try referencing the DAT BC study guide Ari has up; it might help. The final 2 weeks going in I was unable to really study for math and just accepted it. I only got to reference that sheet a couple of times and I scored a 19, so anything is possible. Just do your best, be confident and trust yourself!

Hey all,

My DAT is done and these are the results:
BIO 18; GC 18; OC 21; PAT 24; RC 20; QR 16:: AA 19
I thought I totally blew the bio bc it was extremely difficult questions, nothing like what I prepared for so I'm pretty happy with an 18 there. As for Gen chem I think I was just bummed about the bio and struggled with focusing, but after OC I felt a little better. Overall I think these scores are OK. What do you all think?

GPA is 3.8 and a ton of other great things to offer that I included on my application. I knew that this test wouldn't make or break me, but now I'm a bit worried...

I think 19AA is good, but what is the TS? PAT score is great btw! the double 18's may or may not be an issue, depending on the school. And the 16 in QR you may be able to slide with...
@orgoman22 is very good with advice on this kind of stuff!

My advice:

Call up all schools you are applying to/ are planning to apply to and let them know of the scores!