DAT in September?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masnat

Pre-dental student
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my DAT on Tuesday and did not make the score I wanted to make on it (which was an 18 or above). My GPA is lacking so I know my DAT score will be important. I plan to retake the DAT again but it will not be until September. Isn't that too late? Should I still apply this cycle? If anyone has been in a similar situation to mine and has some guidance or advice I would greatly appreciate it!!!!
Thanks in advance!

age- 24
GPA- 3.0
DAT- 17AA

School list:
NOVA
LECOM
UF
LSU
MUSC
HOWARD
TOURO
UAB

Members don't see this ad.

September is a bit late. I think August is the absolute latest for anybody applying this cycle. With your GPA, you need to shoot for a stellar score on the DAT (21+). I suggest taking a significant amount of time to improve in your weakest sections. Dont rush and take the DAT this September if you can help it. Take the time to improve and apply next cycle. Perhaps look into a post-bacc to show adcoms that you're serious about dental school and help raise your GPA a bit.

Here's what I would do, add mwu-IL, also make sure all your materials are submitted in your app.

Take the DAT, again, also call all the schools that you have sent the scores to and make sure they know you are retaking and have it added to your file. Some schools will have a option on their supp to list a date if ou plan to retake.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't apply this cycle. Even if you do great on the re-take your application would be complete in September at the very earliest which is incredibly late in the cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
Yep, just apply next year and submit on day one. Focus your time on getting a 22+ because with your GPA, you're gonna need it

apply next cycle. dont waste time and money this cycle.
take time to study for DAT(atleast 2-3 months).
you need to do very well (atleast 20 AA to be considered competitive because of your low gpa)
make sure everything else on your application is excellent come next cycle

Reactions: 1 user
Next cycle because your scores wouldn't even be in until October. This is coming from someone who did what you're doing except I just moved it and took it later in September rather than my original July plan. It's a waste of money and I had decent stats other wise. Didn't get any news from any of the schools I applied to which was 12. Save your money and get that score up!!

If you have applied already or really want to try it, I say roll the dice. As far as retaking the DAT, just wait it out until further notice. Perhaps take one for next cycle if necessary.

September is not too late to apply. If your application is ready, and all you need is the dat, then apply.

I got in and applied in September.

Did you just ignore what he said lol? Yes, there will be exceptions. You were one of them. More times than not though, it's a very bad idea to apply in september

Reactions: 4 users
I definitely understand it's a rare case. However, its worth a shot. The money you send on applications ends up being worth it if you can possibly start school earlier. If he has his application ready, he might as well apply.

At my interviews there were so many students that even applied later than me

Members don't see this ad :)
How do y'all feel about a 3.5 GPA with a 17AA retaking it in mid to late August and applying to 14 schools? Just finished all my applications earlier today and was going to send them in tomorrow. The earliest deadline for all the schools I'm applying to is November 1st.

Last edited:
To clarify, my application is completely ready to go. If I were to apply this cycle I would be applying within the next day or so. I would apply with the DAT score I received last week (17) but because of the 90 day rule on the DAT, I would be unable to retake until September. In September, I would simply be updating the DAT score on my app.

Here's what I would do, add mwu-IL, also make sure all your materials are submitted in your app.

Take the DAT, again, also call all the schools that you have sent the scores to and make sure they know you are retaking and have it added to your file. Some schools will have a option on their supp to list a date if ou plan to retake.

Any good reasoning behind adding mwu-IL to my list?

To clarify, my application is completely ready to go. If I were to apply this cycle I would be applying within the next day or so. I would apply with the DAT score I received last week (17) but because of the 90 day rule on the DAT, I would be unable to retake until September. In September, I would simply be updating the DAT score on my app.

That doesn't really change anything. DAT scores are a huge component of getting interviews and getting the scores in that late will be a big disadvantage

Any good reasoning behind adding mwu-IL to my list?

They seem to send interviews out pretty late in the cycle and have a larger class size. So if you're willing to go where you get in, then MWU-might give that chance.

I will say I have noticed year by year their standards and requirements are inching up to the normal levels of other schools.

I wouldn't apply this cycle. Even if you do great on the re-take your application would be complete in September at the very earliest which is incredibly late in the cycle.
how about retaking late august? application is in and everything. I cannot retake it any earlier.

Bro with those stats and applying out of state, the chances of getting an interview is really low. (unless you are African american and applying to howard). with that in mind, I would suggest this: find a way to boost GPA (one years masters whatever) and during this time try to get research and shadowing hours, retake DAT, reapply next cycle. Not what you want to hear, but what you should do.

And i wanna preface this by saying I truly believe in what i am about to say. The DAT is not that bad of a test. I don't know what resources you are using for DAT, but you should definetly use bootcamp, feralis, ap cliff, chad's. Anyone who scores under a 18 didn't study enough- that's the bottom line. Don't make excuses like "oh it was too hard, and bio has so much info". Just grind it out and it'll be worth it. I honestly believe anyone who puts in the work will get a 20. To get a 23+ requires a little more brain power than just studying.

Reactions: 3 users
If you really want in this cycle, kill your DAT in September and be very persistent in contacting schools. Not much else you can do

And i wanna preface this by saying I truly believe in what i am about to say. The DAT is not that bad of a test. I don't know what resources you are using for DAT, but you should definetly use bootcamp, feralis, ap cliff, chad's. Anyone who scores under a 18 didn't study enough- that's the bottom line. Don't make excuses like "oh it was too hard, and bio has so much info". Just grind it out and it'll be worth it. I honestly believe anyone who puts in the work will get a 20. To get a 23+ requires a little more brain power than just studying.

Yes, I had the right resources but I only gave myself a month to study. Huge mistake in retrospect. But I agree, the test is nowhere near impossible to score a 20 on given the right amount of time and resources.

I think your chances are higher if you get a good score in September and apply after that
I mean. It's late but if you have 23 or 24+ which is super hard to get but if you get that, you might get in, better than applying now.
Early, but with not the expected stats. They will cross you out of their list and never look back again.
You honestly should consider taking post-grad courses after retaking to boost your gpa while you wait for an interview.
That way if you re-apply next year, you have something new to show to them. Or update them with.
3.1 better than 3.00
20 better than 17
you get the point.

But hey, if you believe you can get in, maybe there is some voice telling you-you can do it. If you hear that voice, we can argue with that and you gotta do what you have to do.

^ good advice on taking classes while you wait! I'm doing that now.

What state are you from? You might have the best chance at your state school. Consider adding Meharry and taking off UF, LSU, and UAB.