DAT is done (08/17)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LamboFerrari

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just finished DAT today. Here is my score:
(UC Davis, Major: Biochemistry)
Schools I am applying to:
University of Southern California,
University of the Pacific,
Western University,
Howard University,
Boston University,
Tufts University,
Creighton University,
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey,
University of Nevada, New York University,
Case School of Dental Medicine,
Temple University,
West Virginia University.
1) Should I retake the test?
2) Do I have any chance to getting into those schools that I applied to ?
3) Any other advices ?
I really appreciate your time. And good luck to all of you for whatever you will be doing. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Two 17s in the sciences as a biochem major doesn't look too great...I would consider a retake if I were you. Sorry to bear bad news!

Two 17s in the sciences as a biochem major doesn't look too great...I would consider a retake if I were you. Sorry to bear bad news!

lol.. I was puzzled by that too.. But heck, GPA and scores don't explain everything..

Were you working full time? Do you have lots of community service/shadowing/extracuricular activities?

Your overall score isn't that bad.. I'm sure you can get in somewhere with these scores.

3) Any other advices ?
I really appreciate your time. And good luck to all of you for whatever you will be doing. :)

1) don't retake the test. your scores are high enough to be competitive.

2) you have a chance. for one, you do go to a UC! i go to a cal state. GPA is good too. so definitely apply

just curious, which passages did you get? i'm taking mine this Friday EEEEK :(

Members don't see this ad :)

Your stats are fine. I'm fairly certain your DAT score is reviewed independently of your major.

Don't get discouraged because mostly top DAT achievers are the only ones who post their DAT scores on here. Just look at the admissions stats for your school and see how yours compare.

Bio: 17
GChem: 22
OChem: 17
RC:19
QR: 18
PAT: 21
AA / TS / PAT : 19/18/21
I have an overall GPA 3.50 and Science GPA: 3.32.
Western University,
Howard University,
Boston University,
Tufts University,
Creighton University,
Temple University,
3) Any other advices ?

are you a URM?

And I would still apply with those scores. I know it's tougher for those on the coasts based on average DATs at those schools, but there are people with below the average at every one of these schools getting in (obviously) and it doesn't matter whether you are in the top half of matriculants or the bottom, as long as you get in.

i've looked over many profiles on predents.com and i've seen lots of profiles with scores/gpa similar to you and they were accepted at different dental schools. If you've applied early you may have a chance at some of the schools you mentioned.
Good luck!

Your stats aren't going to wow anyone, but I don't think they necessarily take you out of the running. Depending on the rest of your application, I think it's quite likely you're still a competitive candidate.

Bio: 17
GChem: 22
OChem: 17
RC:19
QR: 18
PAT: 21
AA / TS / PAT : 19/18/21
I have an overall GPA 3.50 and Science GPA: 3.32.
Western University,
Howard University,
Boston University,
Tufts University,
Creighton University,
Temple University,
3) Any other advices ?

1)It may be beneficial for you to retake the exam.Especially your GC and PAT scores are very good.
2)I think that you have a chance to get into schools you want. If I were you, I retake and try to pull up my aa and ts 20 or 20+.
3)You are a UC student. If you exceed 20+, your chances will drastically increase.
GOOD LUCK WITH THE REST MY FRIEND!