DAT IS DONE! :) (7/26/2011) advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothlove

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Student DOCTOR has really helped me these past few months so I wanted to share my experience and advice with you all.

SCORES:
BIOLOGY: 20
GENERAL CHEMISTRY: 25
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY: 29
READING COMPREHENSION: 21
QUANTITATIVE REASONING: 20
PERCEPTUAL ABILITY: 21
TS: 23
AA: 23 :)

Overall, I am very happy with my scores. Here is some advice I have!

Biology: I used Kaplan, Cliffs AP Biology, Examcrackers Biology, DAT Destroyer
-First I read through Kaplan, which really helped me get down the basics.
-I moved onto Cliffs. I read it over and highlighted.
-I read both again and this time I typed up notes. About 60 pages. This is what I kept reviewing.
-I moved onto DAT Destroyer, highlighted the important information from the solutions, and used the highlightings to study. This was much more convenient than doing all the problems over again.
TEST: Most things were straightforward. I had about 5 marked. Three of these I had no idea on. Some of the questions I was stuck between two answers and made educated guesses.
- had no TAXONOMY or plant problems. Weird huh? :laugh:

General Chemistry: Kaplan, DAT DESTROYER, CHADS!!!
-I read Kaplan and did all the problems.
-I wrote notes in like a mini notebook.
-I watched Chads and filled in more notes into the notebook.
-CHAD WAS A LIFESAVER!!!
-I went through DESTROYER about 5 times.
TEST: MUCH easier than Destroyer! Few calculations, more concepts. So know your stuff! DESTROYER helps drill important ideas and concepts into your head.

Organic Chemistry: Kaplan, Chad, DESTROYER.
-Once again, I read Kaplan and took notes in a mini notebook.
-Used Chad to take more notes.
-Did DESTROYER like 5 or 6 times.
TEST: Easier than DESTROYER. KNOW THE ROADMAPS! They help ALOT. Especially with random reactions that you might get-like 1 or 2 on the test.

Reading Comprehension: Crack DAT Reading, Kaplan.
-Honestly, this section depends on how good you are at reading comprehension.
-No real way to study, but my test was VERY similar to Crack DAT Reading.
-My scores were usually around 21's for this.
-Scores in TOPSCORE: 21-25.
-Scores in Achiever: 14-17.
TEST: mostly used Search and Destroy. I had about 5 minutes to go back to my marked questions. Simple passages, use CRACK DAT. Passages were about 9-12 paragraphs each.

Quantitative Reasoning: Math DESTROYER
-Math was my hardest section while studying for the DAT.
-DESTROYER helped me get down everything I needed to know for this section.
-After completing DESTROYER 2 times, I found the test to be easier than this.
-I used to get in the 20's for Topscore and like 16's or 17's in Achiever. So there is hope lol.
TEST: Trig, no conversions, no rate problems, interest problems. USE MATH DESTROYER!!!

Perceptual Ability: CRACK DAT PAT.
-Wow. Keyholes were crazy hard (I thought). Much harder than Destroyer
-Cube counting was fine up until the illusion part. I was sure I got those wrong.
-Angles were not bad, much like Crack DAT.
-TFE not too bad. Crack DAT once again!
-Pattern folding was like Crack in terms of type of problems, but a little more difficult.
-I got some weird hole punches, but overall not bad!!

Topscore: My scores were usually in the lower to mid 20's for this. I believe I didnt get over a 22 or 23. But these scores werent ever as high as my actual test. TOPSCORE WAS THE CLOSEST PREDICTOR IN TERMS OF QUESTIONS AND SCORES FOR SCIENCE.

Achiever: I think this was a waste of time for me. The scores were completely off and the level of difficulty was too high compared to the actual test. I doubt I got a 20 on this test from what I remember.

OVERALL: Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps! If you guys have any questions please ask! I will answer whatever you got!

One question from me: My GPA is a 3.46 and Science is a 3.3. This is only because of freshman year and ever since then, my GPA has always been above a 3.7 for the following semesters. DO I HAVE ANY CHANCES TO GET INTO ILLINOIS OR MIDWEST SCHOOLS?
-Please let me know!!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

KILLED IT.

GPA and DAT are solid dude, ur good to go!

So you did destroyer 5x for chemistries, how long did it take you? Did you do a certain amnt of problems each day?

Thanks! You think my GPA is good enough?

And Yup I did it 5 times like periodically throughout my studying. I used to do about 20 questions at a time and then review my answers. I did this about every other day the last month of my test. Destroyer was the BEST for the Chemistries!!

Hey congrats on your excellent scores! That's not a bad GPA either. I'm sure you will be fine. Schools take into account the increase in your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, based on the ADEA handbook of dental schools your GPA is competitive and well within the range of accepted students. gl!

Yup 5 times. It paid off! lol. After awhile it was going by pretty fast.

And thanks CREW09. Hopefully it works out!!

Congrats!!!
I'm taking it on the 5th of Aug. You have a pretty good chance, don't worry, you did great. Your overall score and PA score is pretty strong and GPA is not bad. Just ace your interviews!! Good Luck!!

Thank you! Reassurance is always good lol. And goodluck with your DAT let me know if you need to know anything! :)