DAT - July 24, 2006

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by 3dObject, Jul 25, 2006.

1. 3dObject

3dObject Junior Member

I come from a computer science background. I just recently gave the DAT exam and the following was my score...

________________________________Standard Score_____Percentile
    Perceptual Ability_____________________20____________95.5
    Quantitative Reasoning_________________18____________78.1
    Reading Comprehension__________________21____________87.7
    Biology________________________________20___________94.5
    General Chemistry______________________18____________70.3
    Organic Chemistry______________________17____________64.5
    Total Science__________________________19____________86.8
    Academic Average_______________________19____________86.2

I plan on applying to as many schools as I can, I have completed my prereqisite natural science courses with a GPA of 3.5.

Do I have a chance?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. OSUDDS

OSUDDS Senior Member

Podiatry Student
  4. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub

Dentist
    I was looking at a list of people that were accepted from my school and many of the people that got in had similar stats to yours. The average of the people accepted was somewhere around a 3.55 and a 19.5 AA on the DAT.

With that being said, I think you should apply to plenty of schools to give yourself the best possible chance of getting in somewhere. Every school has their own evaluation system and you don't want to end up applying only to a few schools that don't rate you as high as others might.

5. '11

'11 Member

good to go :thumbup:

6. 3dObject

3dObject Junior Member

Yeah I wish I knew exactly what schools wanted. My situation is that I have been working as an engineer for the last 5 years so my test taking skills have maybe degraded a little. Hey, age happens. But sometimes I just want to shout in the face of these admission committees and tell them that I have been working hard at the same job for the last 5 years. That they try to understand that not coming from a natural science background maybe this score is about as good as it gets for me. While not stellar it is good, and I would of course be bringing in some real world experience. But who knows in the end what really counts.

7. issa

issa Senior Member

you forgot to mention your old grades. when you apply you have to send them transcripts of every college or university that you went to not just the prereqs. even if you completed the courses 10 years ago. if your gpa was good then you will get in many dental schools.

8. 3dObject

3dObject Junior Member

My old grades were good. I got through my entire college degree on an academic scholarship, so I was required to keep my grades up.

9. 714guy

714guy counting down till 5/2012

Dental Student

Me too, I have a BS in CS too. Good scores and Good luck!!

10. 3dObject

3dObject Junior Member

Yeah I completed my B.S. in computer science and applied mathematics. I think I just got a little too cocky during the quantitative reasoning section.