DAT July 4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zizu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am another silent observer in this forum.
Just took DAT today.
I want to hear your thoughts..

PAT: 25 (99.8%)
QR: 19 (81,8%)
RC: 18 (39.0%)
BIO: 20 (87.4%)
GC: 23 (94.5%)
OG: 23 (93.7%)
TS: 22 (96.1%)
AA: 21 (91.5%)

GPA: 3.2

I honestly expected more because of my low GPA.
i applied with 20 TS, 20 PAT (Canadian DAT) with around the same GPA last cycle and did not get a single interveiw.
What do you think?

Here is what i used for DAT: Destroyer. Achiever, Topscore, Schaum's bio

PAT: i don't know what to say... i have been good in the section... never went below 20 during the practice but the highest was 24... IT WAS JUST EASY...

QG: this section was insane...i am a good MATH student as others say...
Many word problems...
i always have extra 10 mins during practice but in real DAT i barely made it... i never went below 20 in this section (normally around 23-26). i guess i needed to put more effeorts in this section.:scared::scared::scared:

RC: the passages were easy but long... many terms that are familiar for science students but the questions were hard. i don't even know how many inference Qs were there. Anyways i was never good at it... But definitely lower than i wanted.

BIO: disappointing again.. couple of problems were from pratice tests. i had about 5-6 Qs from i have never seen in practice but heard of them in class.
i thought i managed them well but i guess not...

GC: felt hard but oh well...

OC: very confused on couple of them. i thought it was not as easy as everyone in this forum says.

Overall: i felt OK, but not satisfied. BIO AND QC scores are way below than i expected. Before i took the test i felt like i need at least TS 23 to be considered competitive with my low GPA. Is high PAT benefit (not much thrilled)?

If you ask me how you would study for the test. i will say that you study smart. what i mean by "SMART" is that when you study, study something you don't know. In real DAT, Questions are not as in detail as those in practice tests. Focus on your weakness but never underestimate your strong section.

Members don't see this ad.

Cheer up! Those are some very great scores you have. I'm sure many of us here would be happy with those scores. Your sciences are very high as with your PAT, I think you're in good shape. Enjoy your holiday. :D

Based on what others have been posting as scores, you have done well in every section. Phenomal PAT score, both chemistry scores are nothing short of impressive, and a 20 in the biology section is nothing to be ashamed of.

It really seems that the QR and RC sections have been changed, judging by the comments people are posting about timing issues on QR due to word problems and lame inference questions on RC.

I absolutely hate inference questions, and honestly when you're reading scientific writings when are you ever going to be required to reproduce what the author's tone was toward the hormonal secretions of the neurosecretory cells of the hypothalamus.

:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
very good scores, I am sure u will get into dental school this year. Just apply early and u will be just fine. Congratulations again.

how many paragraphs would you say the rc was per section?
thanks
-ld

by the way, great scores....in your opinion, how much did destroyer help in the sciences

They were between 15-24, but the length was pretty consistent.

Do i have to still mention about Destroyer? You already know...

dude, I feel you on the QR section (got the same score you did). But whatever, you scores are sweet, esp the chemistries and the PAT. Good luck this cycle!!

could u please specify what topics landed on ur bio section, what was the weirdest question u saw?

what was the best source that helped u study?

wow you didn't get a single interview with a 20, when did you apply last cycle, and how many schools did you apply to last cycle? plz let me know cuz i think i have the same situation
thanks

Cheer up boy, they're great scores..esp the PAT..how did u study for it?? any tricks that you'd like to share with us??

Also, when did you apply last cycle?? The timing of applications is extremely important since it's all about "first come first served" (or atleast that's what ASDOH, UoP, UCLA, USC, UCSF, BU, n Pennstate told me)

Good luck with the interviews!!

Once again, the scores are great!!

I absolutely hate inference questions, and honestly when you're reading scientific writings when are you ever going to be required to reproduce what the author's tone was toward the hormonal secretions of the neurosecretory cells of the hypothalamus. :mad:

Well put, I think this whole section is one huge BS and absolutely unnecessary. If you are answering science questions, that means you understand science texts and english... duh. Besides, you also submit a piece of writing. Why do you need an special section on English...

How does the person who came up with the question know what the author exactly implied when they wrote their article?! :laugh: Do they call and ask them?! "Um, hello, sir, I'm putting together a question for the DAT... if you had to replace the second word in the third sentence of the fifth paragraph in your article on why the sky is blue... would you choose "violet" or "purple... *click* ..sir, hello... sir, are still there, hello..." :laugh:

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, just had to get it out there... :laugh:

Edit: I just read on another thread that there is a correlation between RC score and performance in dental school. I find that weird. Anyway, please don't comment on this as I didn't intend to hijack zizu's thread. :)

dude nice scores you definitely have increased your chances of getting in
Dont even sweat it. good luck with everything

It seems like no won't have any issues with your DAT score anymore.
How did you study for the PAT? and what did you get for the practice test PAT?

could u please specify what topics landed on ur bio section, what was the weirdest question u saw?

what was the best source that helped u study?

nothing wild about bio...
just general stuff except few...
trust me if you know your practice test well...
you won't get totally lost in any of questions.

It seems like no won't have any issues with your DAT score anymore.
How did you study for the PAT? and what did you get for the practice test PAT?

Thanks to everyone who reply in my thread...

Many people ask me how i studied PAT section
I would love to tell you my tricks, but i don't have any...

However, i will just list what i did..
Thinks i used: 3 tests in topscore (all btw 20-23), 1 tests in achiver (20), 1 test from kaplan CD) (24).

Section 1: First two sections are where i spend most time. Probably more than 10 min each. Anyways, what i do is just look at each choices and compare it to the 3D. No tricks (It was my weakest section so i didn't rush and rather took my time to make sure that i get the right answer)

Section 2: As everyone do, i count solid lines and figure out dotted lines next. what you need to do to save time is that you look at the choices first and figure out the differences btw them and then go to the line counting etc.. (Normally two of them are similar to each other. AFter this you can choose one from two)

Section 3: Angles are hard. Probably all the questions i got wrong were from here. 3-4 were very very very similar. what i do is just look at all those angles from far away and trust your instinct,.

Section 4: Go backward. see the symmetry plane in each folds. you should not take more than 6-7 mins. i had no half hole questions.

Section 5: just count them. way too easy. mistakes are not allowed. You might lose your concentration by the time you get here, but don't lose concentration. Focus!!

Section 6: for this section, i go to the choices one by one. For dice questions, find the top figure and figure out what they are attached on left and right.
For others, look all the choices first and find the difference btw them and then look at the 3D figure.

All these are probally things that you are using already.
i recommend you to spend some time for each questions to make sure they are right one. When i was preparing first, i was so worried about time i used to make many mistakes. When i was writing the real one, i did not go to the next question until i was about (90%) sure. One might say you better go fast so you don't guess any questions later on easier section. However, if you had no time issue in PAT during practice tests and wants to get high score in this section, i suggest you to take time. It is definitely easier.

I hope it helped.
Good luck everyone.