DAT material to study for OAT?

ProSprout

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my older sister is currently on the track to dental school and has all the material for the DAT (kaplan, destroyer, krackers...) and i was wondering if anyone knew exactly how different the two exams are.

i know the OAT has more physics in place of the perceptual section...but other than that, if i supplement with extra physics, are there other down-sides to using DAT study material to study for the OAT?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of the study material is the same anyway (with the words OAT slapped on instead of DAT). I took both tests and they were similar except for Physics, I even got a few duplicate quesetions. So yes, I think using the DAT books would be okay.

I even used MCAT prep books and did just fine on the OAT. The DAT material should be even closer than the MCAT material was. I would say that are fine.

i heard that both tests are made up by the same ppl/committee so they are pretty similar. besides the physics, someone told me that the dats have a couple more calculations than we do and that we have more conceptual questions (which on my test was definitely true). but i think you could prob use the same stuff and be fine

Members don't see this ad :)
i think the DAT book would do just fine. I saw the kaplan books for DAT and PCAT and most of the stuff were identical. I personally used MCAT review materials exclusively and it helped alot. Maybe you could try kaplan and examcracker (highly recommended) for the physics portion. g'luck :thumbup:

hi =) i used mostly DAT material and the review book from Kaplan when i studied for the OATs the second time around since my online Kaplan stuff was expired and i did fine :) You'll have to find practice material for physics somewhere else , but for the other subjects, it's all the same.