DAT materials supplied vs allowed on test day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyBestShot

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to sdn (and I've noticed the cool, smart people tend to lowercase the sdn, so I'm trying to make my mark as being smart AND cool...) and first-time poster here, so I'll be concise and hopefully I can get good feedback that doesn't take my question as a joke, because initially it might sound like it is, so here goes...
Question 1) Can we bring our own black Expo Vis-a-Vis wet erase markers to the exam (just like you would bring backup #2 pencils during a test)?
Question 2) If yes to question 1, can we bring different colored wet-erase markers to the exam? (Assuming they are the standard Expo Vis-a-Vis wet erase marker brand that are pretty standard at Prometric testing centers in black as I've experienced in the past)?

I'm asking these two questions because I have taken professional exams in the past, and have had situations with worn out markers that had to be rewet (yes I used the good-ole spit shine technique in fear of losing precious seconds). It all sounds like a silly, small detail, but for me it can easily take valuable time and cause me unneeded stress.

That's the end of my interrogation, and I'll post some background info below for those that are interested, and to save time for those that are not. Thank for reading!

Personal Details:
BS in Business Administration in 2016
Went back to undergrad to take all the recommended pre-dental science, physics, and math classes and labs (over 50 credits)
Have about 16 total credits left to take, including Orgo 2 and Physics 2 before I can officially apply.
I started studying for the DAT October 1st (yesterday from this post) and plan on taking it in Jan or Feb 2020.

Thanks for any help or advice, and I appreciate all the great posters on sdn as it's really helped guide me through what materials to get and where to begin studying!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Question 1) Can we bring our own black Expo Vis-a-Vis wet erase markers to the exam (just like you would bring backup #2 pencils during a test)?
Question 2) If yes to question 1, can we bring different colored wet-erase markers to the exam? (Assuming they are the standard Expo Vis-a-Vis wet erase marker brand that are pretty standard at Prometric testing centers in black as I've experienced in the past)?
1) No
2) No

You're not allowed to bring anything into the testing room. My center didn't even allow me to bring my jacket in so I was pretty cold lol. You can only use the things they give you, which can sometimes suck (they will). The markers have worn out tips so everything you write will be huge (unless you get lucky) and they don't wipe away easily, so if you find an issue with them before your test, let the person know and see if you can exchange them before you start. Otherwise :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice!!! And it sounds like you're suggesting dressing in layers maybe, because I doubt they won't let you take a sweater off midtest.

Thanks for the advice!!! And it sounds like you're suggesting dressing in layers maybe, because I doubt they won't let you take a sweater off midtest.
They might have you take it off before you even start....

Also another thing, I think you can sometimes bring foam earplugs, but I've heard they almost smash it with a hammer to make sure nothing's in em :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
They might have you take it off before you even start....

Also another thing, I think you can sometimes bring foam earplugs, but I've heard they almost smash it with a hammer to make sure nothing's in em :laugh:
They do let you bring in earplugs, you’re right.

Hi, I'm new to sdn (and I've noticed the cool, smart people tend to lowercase the sdn, so I'm trying to make my mark as being smart AND cool...) and first-time poster here, so I'll be concise and hopefully I can get good feedback that doesn't take my question as a joke, because initially it might sound like it is, so here goes...

I'm asking these two questions because I have taken professional exams in the past, and have had situations with worn out markers that had to be rewet (yes I used the good-ole spit shine technique in fear of losing precious seconds). It all sounds like a silly, small detail, but for me it can easily take valuable time and cause me unneeded stress.

That's the end of my interrogation, and I'll post some background info below for those that are interested, and to save time for those that are not. Thank for reading!

Personal Details:
Went back to undergrad to take all the recommended pre-dental science, physics, and math classes and labs (over 50 credits)
Have about 16 total credits left to take, including Orgo 2 and Physics 2 before I can officially apply.
I started studying for the DAT October 1st (yesterday from this post) and plan on taking it in Jan or Feb 2020.

Thanks for any help or advice, and I appreciate all the great posters on sdn as it's really helped guide me through what materials to get and where to begin studying!!!

You cannot bring anything into the testing room itself besides your person, your ID, and whatever materials they give you (typically 2 Expo markers and the laminated grid sheets). If you do decide to bring earplugs, you can bring those in too after they check them out. I personally liked to use the earplugs plus the really bulky ones they had at the station together for ultimate noise canceling.

I personally wore a sweatshirt without a pocket into the exam in case I was chilly. My room was actually pretty warm. To figure out what yours is like, I highly highly recommend the Prometric Test Drive. Helped me get used to the procedures and whatnot of the exam.

Hope that helps! Best of luck.

Believe it our not this is a true story, about 5 years ago one of my students went to the testing center and the headset the testing center gave him was too small, he proceeded to take the test but could still hear test taker near him typing away because he could not cancel out the noise with the set provided him. He told me has has a really really big head. He kept saying no joke my head is unusually big, LOL I told him to contact the ADA and perhaps he would get a retake, well the ADA did give him a retake because of the situation, but I think he would have preferred not to have gone through all the headache, etc. Moral to the story invest in the Prometric Test Drive to you are familiar with everything, or take your own headphones.

Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
Moral to the story invest in the Prometric Test Drive to you are familiar with everything, or take your own headphones.

Could not agree more! That test drive was such a relief to have behind me when I went in on my actual test day.

Personal Details:

I always highly recommend the test drive, that way you can visit the center and get all your questions answered, not all test centers have the same policies, and also take a mock exam on the exact computer you will using, not an actual DAT exam but you will be able to get familiar with the computer and its functions.

here is the link

I always highly recommend the test drive, that way you can visit the center and get all your questions answered, not all test centers have the same policies, and also take a mock exam on the exact computer you will using, not an actual DAT exam but you will be able to get familiar with the computer and its functions.

here is the link

I didn't know this, thanks so much!

I'm a little late, but I wanted to answer because this is a very smart and cool question haha.

In my experience, I wasn't allowed to bring anything into the testing room other than my ID and a locker key they provided. 2 expo markers and 2 sheets of laminated grid paper were provided. They also provided a set of noise-cancelling headphones that were average. They definitely blocked out most noises, but they were REALLY uncomfortable on one ear, so I often readjusted it from time to time because it was painful to wear. The typing around me wasn't too bad, at least not when I was in focused testing mode!

You can also call your testing center and double check with them if you can bring ear plugs among other things. I hope your DAT studying goes well!