DAT Math

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

Justin7

Hi everyone. I take my test August 19 (3 weeks). I haven't real done any studying for math due to fear and very little understanding. I have math destroyer. I really struggle at math and want to do well on the QR section so I don't have to retake exam. I need encouragement especially if someone overcame their struggles with math and some advice on how to best prepare for the QR section specifically if one has a very, very challenging time with math. Appreciate helpful feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't necessarily have a super hard time with math, but I've never particularly liked the subject and am rusty. I completed both AP calc and AP stats by my junior year of HS and have only taken physics since, which was after my DAT.

I started by watching all of Chad's QR videos and getting comfortable with what he taught. I then started the Math Destroyer, which I thought was extremely hard. I focused on just the first 8 tests and tried to learn how to do them as best as I could. I also tried to memorize all the formulas at the front of the book.

However, I've just got to ask--if you KNOW this is your weakest section, why in the world did you put it off? That seems so counterproductive. You already knew that this is the subject that could hold you back. Let this be a lesson that you should tackle your weaknesses instead of shoving them under the rug until the last minute. You can't avoid the QR. It's going to be on there, and it's a subject that many of us don't particularly like to study for--we just have to deal with it and make it work. Especially since you struggle with it and I KNOW you don't want to retake the test, I suggest putting in a solid 1.5-2 hours of QR practice a day. Make at least an 18 in it at the lowest. Otherwise, it can put a huge dent in your AA or, even worse, make you fall below the cutoff at some schools.

You still have 3 weeks which is plenty of time. I started studying math with 3 weeks to go and it's definitely not my strongest subject.

I watched Chad's QR for the basics and then with Destroyer, I would time myself on each test and then go back through the test again doing every problem (with the help of the book's explanations) until I really understood it. The one thing I would suggest is that you recognize a problem that you know takes a lot of time or you just don't know how to do it and move on. It's understandable that you may want to do every problem, but considering the time constraints it's probably best that you go through and do the easy ones. Best of luck!

Thanks We Are PS for the inspiration. Glimmer, thanks for your wise words although like I said above, the reason I put it off was fear. I understand it may seem ridiculous but everyone realizes what they should and should not do at different times. I can't focus too much on what I should have done but on what I need to do to do well on QR and overall test. Thanks again. If anyone has anymore wisdom please share.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, and another thing: I NEVER timed myself on the Math Destroyer (actually, I never timed myself on anything during my whole studying process). I knew I wasn't good at QR and that timing myself wouldn't make a difference. I just tried my hardest to work through each question, consulting the solution guide when necessary (which was a lot).

I honestly didn't run into a timing problem on my actual QR test. If something was really hard or appeared that way at first glance, I quickly picked a random choice, marked it, and moved on. At the very end, I went back to these problems. Sure, I didn't solve them all, but I may not have been able to even with unlimited time.

I agree that you can make a great improvement in three weeks. Just make sure you dedicate time to the subject every day.

Howdy. My last math course was 7-8 years ago (in high school), and I don't recall fairing too well in it. I've always hated math, and done poorly in it. My HS math GPA was probably a 2.5. I have a feeling I am not as poor at it as you, but we have similar stories here.

Anyways, since I knew QR would be my worst section, I attacked it. I used the same tools as everyone else, Chad's Videos and Math Destroyer. I also used Khan Academy for trigonometry. I felt Chad's videos were a waste of time in QR, but most people enjoy them.

The key in QR is diagnosing the type of problem and recalling if you know how to do it. Therefore, in our preparation we need to understand the fundamentals of each type of problem we do. You have to know the basics so they can be applied in unique ways.

I did the 2012 Math Destroyer and timed all 13 tests. Each person is different, but I would never dream of not taking timed tests, simply to understand the pressure it applies. I averaged 30/40 on Math Destroyer in the beginning, but that lowered as the tests got harder. There were two tests where I only answer 13/14 problems correctly, and this was like 2 weeks before my test. Needless to say, I stepped up my game.

I felt Math Destroyer was the best tool because it forces you to apply multiple concepts in each problem. This means that each question is usually actually 2-3 questions. This tests your true conceptual understanding. If you struggle in this book, then go back to basics.

My "dream score" was actually a 20, and my practice tests were averaging around an 18. I made a 23 on the real exam, which means I missed probably 2-4 problems. Recall, I was getting 13/40 on Math Destroyer 2 weeks before my test and scored in the top 98%. It can be done in 3 weeks, but you have to focus and eliminate sources of weakness. It's no different from any other type of studying.

Now is not the time for fear, it is the time for action.

I did a couple of tests from math Destroyer but never timed myself. I wish I had though, because I was getting 37+ correct out of 40 untimed on the tests but on the real thing I ran out of time and messed up. Timing is everything on QR because the questions themselves are fairly simple; you just have to learn how to do them FAST. Also fatigue is a big factor because QR is the very last section, and by that time all you want to do is finish and GTFO of the testing center.

I did a couple of tests from math Destroyer but never timed myself. I wish I had though, because I was getting 37+ correct out of 40 untimed on the tests but on the real thing I ran out of time and messed up. Timing is everything on QR because the questions themselves are fairly simple; you just have to learn how to do them FAST. Also fatigue is a big factor because QR is the very last section, and by that time all you want to do is finish and GTFO of the testing center.

LOL!

Ironically, I was feeling really crappy and dejected when I started my QR section. However, about halfway through, I realized, "HOLY S!&*, I GET TO SEE MY SCORES IN 20 MINUTES!" For some strange reason, it's like I had completely forgotten during my test that I would know my scores immediately after I was done. This gave me huge burst of motivation and I was so nervous/excited to finish.

Then I saw my scores and basically went numb. It was sort of... too good to be true. My boyfriend was seriously freaked out by my reaction to my test because he didn't understand why I wasn't more excited. It's like I couldn't believe it and, as such, didn't really know how to react.

I'm digressing, though. However, I never did a practice test during my studies, nor did I do anything timed. I sort of feel like you can either do the problems quickly or you can't. We all obviously know it's in our best interests to get good enough at the problems to be able to do them quickly. Putting that time pressure there isn't going to magically make you speed up if you simply aren't capable of doing the problems at such a rate. I knew that I would be timed when I took my actual test, and that alone was pressure enough to make me realize that I needed to become better at the QR stuff. I also would rather start slow and really LEARN things instead of putting that time pressure on me from the get-go. It wouldn't have changed anything. The timer would have dinged, I'd have said, "oh well, whatever" and I'd have kept right on going. So, see, no change. :D

My testing philosophy is very different than that of many other SDNers, though. It's up to you to decide what's best.