DAT? MCAT? OAT? PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchardy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm finishing up my first year this winter semester. I want to go into the medical field, not sure exactly which profession yet, however. Most likely only a 4 year program (post undergrad) haha. What is the best way to prepare for all admission exams in one (for most health professions). I want to keep my options open and be able to prepare for mostly all of them as they have some similarities. Has anyone experienced this or have any insight? I am sure there are a lot more like me out there with this question.

Thanks!

Jordan

Members don't see this ad.

I think your question is less about which exam to take as opposed to what field you want. You're best off finding a doctor, dentist, optometrist, etc. to shadow this summer as opposed to stressing about what exam to take.

That said, the best prep for my DAT were my undergraduate courses. I had a strong science background, and I often read science articles for homework. I know this is true for others who took the MCAT. Do well in your courses and when it comes time to study (for whatever exam you choose) you'll have a head start.

As someone who wrote the mcat, dat and the oat, I don’t recommend preparing for all the tests. Just stick with one.

Reactions: 1 users
According to my advisor, it can be viewed negatively if a person goes as far as to take other entrance exams or apply for other professions. I definitely agree you should shadow and/or work in the field first to narrow down your options. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)