DAT Orgo vs. ACS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YakovY

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Any advice on how the ACS Orgo exam compares to DAT orgo?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's VERY similar! I took the ACS last June and took the DAT in the beginning of October (got a 22 in o chem), so its format and question types were still somewhat fresh in my mind. I studied my ACS study guide book for the DAT o chem. DAT Destroyer is, of course, the best prep for DAT o chem questions, but the short section tutorials before each section's questions in the ACS book are the review you need - only condensed. I thought it was great. Plus, if you've taken the ACS exam, you're already used to taking a multiple choice o chem exam, which is a far cry from most o chem midterms through out your undergraduate classes.

So ya, ACS book = even more review for the DAT in terms of more practice questions, but more importantly, condensed info on EVERYTHING (that's important) you learned in your o chem classes. Use it to SUPPLEMENT DAT Destroyer, it will help you immensely when you don't want to sift through 700 pages of your o chem text book.

I agree, I recently scored a 30 on OC and I too took the ACS exam and scored quite well on it. I started out studying for the Organic Chemistry by reviewing Kaplan's notes and then approached DAT Destroyer. I also bought into Chad's videos and by far the combination of Chad's videos and DAT Destroyer are what solidified my performance.

I then used the ACS prep book to review some of the various types of problems and noticed that once you had a really great understanding, you can blow through all the review/questions in a day. Once your at that point, you are definitely ready!

Glad to hear it's similar.

So Chad's vids are worthwhile for studying orgo? How did you approach genchem? and any advice for bio?

Thanks!

Check out my link to my breakdown in my sig..

You must get Chad's videos for gen chem and o chem!