DAT PAT and RC section help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lakersfan4life

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys
I am planning to take the DAT again this august so that I can get over 20s on all sections but I need your help. PAT and RC are my weaknesses and I want to know how to best prepare for them.
I have taken the kaplan classes and I have their material but kaplan doesn't have that many reading problems and their PAT is easier than the real DAT.
I also have the Topscore and those are pretty good.
I am also going through examkracker 101 passages and it helps but its style and the questions are different from the DAT.
finally, I try to read some magazines such as the scientific american, discovery, new yorker etc.

what else did you guys do for those sections? How are the DAT achiver and DAT destroyer for the PAT and RC? Should I get them for more practice? For those of you guys who did well, what else did you guys do?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there particular sections of the PAT you're having trouble with? All I did for preparation was the Kaplan pdf tests - the first few are very easier, but I thought the last few PAT tests were on par with the real DAT. If you're having trouble with hole punching, I'd suggest origami.

I'm not sure what else you could do for RC, besides practice. I remember Kaplan advised to jot a word down next to each paragraph which gives you the topic, so that you don't keep re-reading the entire passage to find each answer.

In the American DAT, do you get a paper copy of the passage? I found it helpful to bring a highlighter when I wrote the DAT (the Canadian version is still on paper - thank god).

hey guys
I took my 1st DAT in sept 05 and I got over 20s on all sections except the PAT(16) and the RC(18). I am planning to take the DAT again this august so that I can get over 20s on all sections but I need your help. PAT and RC are my weaknesses and I want to know how to best prepare for them.
I have taken the kaplan classes and I have their material but kaplan doesn't have that many reading problems and their PAT is easier than the real DAT.
I also have the Topscore and those are pretty good.
I am also going through examkracker 101 passages and it helps but its style and the questions are different from the DAT.
finally, I try to read some magazines such as the scientific american, discovery, new yorker etc.

what else did you guys do for those sections? How are the DAT achiver and DAT destroyer for the PAT and RC? Should I get them for more practice? For those of you guys who did well, what else did you guys do?
Thanks!!

Just so you know dat destroyer only has the sciences and QR. No pat or RC.
I know on the MCAT there is a reading section, which is very similar to the DAT, and there is a lot more prep material avaibale for the MCAT than the DAT so you might want to look into that.

g/l

Get DAT Achiever. It has challenging PAT section that comes with 3D explanations. And for RC, it simulates closest to the real thing in terms of the formats and structures. You should also try its sciences which have intuitive questions that will greatly test your knowledge on each different section.