DAT Practice at Testing Center...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyroadrunner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember reading something on here about being able to pay $50 or so and being able to go to the testing center and walk through the check in process and get a feel for the computers and stuff like that. Anyone know if this is a real thing and how to go about scheduling this? Would certainly help with my anxiety that day :) haha

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a waste of 50 bucks to me.
You should call your local prometric testing center and ask.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
wow never knew this service existed. I wouldn't have done it, but for people who want to know what it's like beforehand, this might be worth the money.
Personally, I think the testing environment wasn't that important. As long as you go in prepared and with the right mind set, it doesn't have significant effect.

Testing center is rather cold/breezy, so make sure you wear something over Tshirt. I believe you can't take your jacket off once you enter (or something like that).

You'd probably benefit more from just driving to the location, unless you seriously need to get a feel of the environment and frisks

I'd recommend it, it's a great way to see if the keyboard works for selecting answers and using the calculator.

Things you need to know:

Each time you test it'll be different. You'll have a different computer to work on. You may have different proctors.

They may take too long during check-in/out and shorten your breaks.
Your monitor is tiny.
The mouse scroll doesn't work.
Some proctors will not let you write anything on the laminated sheet during the tutorial.
The noise-cancelling headphones are a joke, they don't work.
You may hear proctors chatting and giggling throughout your exam.
Your computer may shut down/ freeze.

You can test the program/calculator on your own computer, but be aware that the resolution of the computers there will not be 1920 x 1080. It was more like 1280 x 1024
Here's the link https://www.prometric.com/ClientFiles/ada/DAT/

As long as you go through that website and get used to it, all other variables are really out of your control. There's no point in spending money to try it out unless you're swimming in cash.

Reactions: 1 users
If you focus on what you have to do, all these small details and variables will be out of your mind in no time.
I was so focused on the problems that I didn't even think about the stuff that a lot of people are worried about.

Only thing I would've liked was actual paper instead of laminated ones. I was so dehydrated after the test because I spit so much on it to erase the content everytime it was full (j/k, I used my sleeve to erase them lol)

Every exam center will be different.

Only fair warning I could provide is ask if you can bring in ear plugs. Dude next to me had some sort of typing exam and boy was it loud and distracting.

Every exam center will be different.

Only fair warning I could provide is ask if you can bring in ear plugs. Dude next to me had some sort of typing exam and boy was it loud and distracting.
Yep, they are all different. My testing center has these giant ear plugs and they were awesome. I couldn't even hear myself breathe. Made me really happy because my center was PACKED with students and one girl was crying when I walked in.

However, I wasn't allowed to write during the tutorial.
But my keyboard worked for the calculator!

It's a waste of money and your time. There's earplugs, and a little dry-erase whiteboard you can write on. Use the link JLT223 and Soleus posted above if you want to see the interface and practice with it freely.

And there's even a little practice section/tutorial beforehand that's very similar to the above link.