DAT prep via Ari's study schedule questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bkahan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, my basic problem is that I am very weak with my sciences. For me I can't move at Ari's pace, I really want to review my sciences/math for the next 3 full months and then spend the last month doing destroyer, achiever, crack and whatever other sources I can get my hands on.

Can you guys let me know if this is a good idea or should I go thru the material faster and then focus on doing the practice tests.

I am going slow (3rd day doing cliffs review and I still didn't memorize everything)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, my basic problem is that I am very weak with my sciences. For me I can't move at Ari's pace, I really want to review my sciences/math for the next 3 full months and then spend the last month doing destroyer, achiever, crack and whatever other sources I can get my hands on.

Can you guys let me know if this is a good idea or should I go thru the material faster and then focus on doing the practice tests.

I am going slow (3rd day doing cliffs review and I still didn't memorize everything)

Hi Bkahan,

I think it is very important you find the pace the works for you. Not everyone student is going to fit into one mold or study plan. Don't worry about practice tests at this point, you should focus on making your weaknesses your strengths. I also highly recommend the 2007 and 2009 ADA test for practice, these are test written by the ADA and will give you the best feel for the style of the questions.

Hope this helps..Nancy

Reactions: 1 users
Hey buddy,

Yeah, like Nancy said, move at your own pace. I never followed anyone's plan. I only knew that I studied as hard as I can every day . My first 2 months were brutally slow as well, it wasn't until my last 3 weeks where I can flow through material.

And I wouldn't suggest spending too much time on reviewing. Go over Cliff's and Chad's once then start working on the Destroyers. And I didn't spend too too much time on practice tests too, have faith in the Destroyers, they got your sciences and Math covered. You will be fine! I was freaking out like a month before my DAT too because I thought I was going too slow, but in the last 3 weeks things really picked up.

Good luck and study hard!

Hey buddy,

Yeah, like Nancy said, move at your own pace. I never followed anyone's plan. I only knew that I studied as hard as I can every day . My first 2 months were brutally slow as well, it wasn't until my last 3 weeks where I can flow through material.

And I wouldn't suggest spending too much time on reviewing. Go over Cliff's and Chad's once then start working on the Destroyers. And I didn't spend too too much time on practice tests too, have faith in the Destroyers, they got your sciences and Math covered. You will be fine! I was freaking out like a month before my DAT too because I thought I was going too slow, but in the last 3 weeks things really picked up.

Good luck and study hard!

Thanks Nick, I appreciate it. Good to see there's others out there like me! Great scores btw!! creeped your page

Members don't see this ad :)
Hah yeah, there are tons of us out there:p But you already have a head start on most of them by finding this website and even a more head start if you got the Destroyers. Just study hard and don't think about anything else or doubt yourself, you will be fine :)

And I didn't spend too too much time on practice tests

I was the opposite. I did practice test after practice test. After I had done one I would copy and paste any answer I got wrong along with the explanation of the answer and go over it until I understood what I did wrong.

So the long and short of it is this...everyone studies differently, you just need to figure out how YOU study best.

GOOD LUCK!

Many students study differently for the DAT, with some studying only 2 weeks and others taking up to a few months. The 10-week study schedule covers everything you need for the DAT to make it easier for you to come up with your own study plan. I recommend and encourage students to modify it to reflect their strengths and weaknesses. Some people add in more practice at the end, supplement the biology section with videos on YouTube, add more PAT practice, or spread out/condense the schedule as they see fit to accommodate their time frame, etc.

You know yourself best, and what's important is to come up with something that will work for you and to stick with it. The 10-week study plan is also pretty intense and will require several hours of hard studying each day, so feel free to spread out the review and extend it to a 12, 14, or 16 week plan, whatever allows you to get through and learn the material. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help.

I agree with what most posters are saying on here, you can't base your study plan on other people's plan. You can use the same materials (Kaplan, Destroyers, CDP, Cliffs, etc) You should really take the time to make your own schedule. You may even modify your schedule as your progress in your studies. For myself personally I focused on what I was weak in primarily. That changes from person to person. Take your time and very importantly, do not take the test until you feel you are absolutely ready. I made that mistake.

Good luck! :)

I say use the study schedules everyone makes as a guide. I just finished mine using Ari's guide and modified it based on my needs. I extended his schedule to 94 days and added in some extra study materials and removed some. I say you can't go wrong with having a strong foundation of the sciences, the only thing is try to add in some sort of question/test schedule to see how you're coming along in terms of grasping the information. I have a subject test built in every few weeks so that I can monitor my understanding of what I have learned so far. Lastly, I would say avoid memorizing everything, shoot for understanding and you'll be set. I realize some things you just have to memorize but understanding the content makes learning it much easier.