DAT preparation in summer programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docline

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!
Do anyone of you know about the summer enrichment programs that UCSF, Temple, UConn, UCLA, UMichigan offer students interested in dental school?

Most of those summer programs give DAT Preparation--from Kaplan....do they really help though? Should I rely on them?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not really sure what you mean by summer enrichment programs....but as for kaplan...the class is pretty much useless but the study materials and practice tests are really helpful.

docline,
UCLA does offer predental lab courses which are offered at various times during the year.

There's detailed information here:
http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/Admissions/DDS/index.html#predental

I did not take any of them, though some of my classmates did. From what they tell me, the waxing course seems to be an easier version of the real waxing courses we take as 1st yr dental students and the same for the denture course. I heard that they will award the top students with a recommendation letter (probably stating that the student has good manual dexterity).

These may give you a small glimpse of the detail oriented nature of dental work, and could be beneficial if you're not sure you would enjoy working with your hands.

As far as actual manual skills that you learn there, I don't think it's beneficial since the courses you have to take in dental school are much more advanced.
You may have an edge over others for the first few times with the experience you gained in a predental lab course, but I think people catch up pretty quickly.

i actually took the denture course at ucla and it was a pretty fun course. i actually met ecdoesit there haha so you can ask him about it too. it's a 3 day intensive course (although it spans a week) and it is true that you do get a rec letter if you do well enough on the practical. if you're interested you should sign up early cuz they fill up fast. as for what you learn, i think i agree with chocobo, basically that you'll have a slight edge at most in the beginning......i dont even really remember that much from the course but i think it's something you can put down on your resume......of course this shouldn't be the best part of your resume...shadowing/volunteering/working for a dentist would be even better...

Members don't see this ad :)
Some dental schools offer summer predental programs--mostly for minority students. The goals of those program is to strengthen their basic science background, and exposure to clinical dentistry and research.
Those summer programs mostly give students the opportunity to participate in seminars designed to improve study habits, reading comprehension, etc.
Some dental schools offering those programs are: UMichigan: Profile for Sucess program, UCCF Undergraduate Mentorship Program, UCLA Prep Program, UConn Medical/Dental Preparatory Program, Temple Future Dentists of America, etc.

If you have heard of such programs, please let me know and tell me how effective they are. Should I rely on them for DAT preparation, one recommendation letter, etc.

I attended one of these summer enrichment programs when I was trying to decide between med-school or dentistry school. The one I attended was at the University of Virginia's medical school and was for pre-med students. I know this isn't the type of program you are asking about but maybe my experience can help and shed some light on your question.

At the summer program they covered everything from writting your personal essay, test taking statagies, study methods, taking two parctice MCAT's, subject review for the MCAT's, shadowing doctors in different fields, and so on.

I don't know about the curriculum for the dental summer programs but the ones for medical school varied from school to school, if I rememeber there are approx. 10 of pre-med summer programs. The instructors for the bio,chem,o-chem, and physics review were current med. students. Not to bash on them but if the dental programs are anything like the one I went to, I would not count on the test prep as being your sole source of preperation for the DAT's. Being able to do well on an entance test and being an effective teacher in a subject are two different things IMHO.

Also the letter that we recieved from the university coordinator was more of a general type letter. While it was a nice thought, I won't use it because I feel that it lacks the personal comments that are present in letters from faculty and dentists I have shadowed.

I know it might be easier said than done, but maybe you could try and contact the schools where the programs are being held and talk to the program coordinators. Maybe even some of the past students are attending the dental program at that particular school and would be willing to visit with you over the phone.

One thing that was true with the medical summer programs is that some of the current med. students at the University of Virginia had attended the summer program offered by that school. Several of the students feel that thier attending the summer program played a significant role in thier being accepted.

Hope this helps, good luck.

I am attending the Baylor College of Dentistry summer program right now. The summer programs are geared towards minorities, but there are students here who aren't minorities. The DAT Prep is very extensive, more extensive than Kaplan's normal DAT course. However, everyone was advised to began studying a least a month before the summer program began.

Here at Baylor there is one course in particular, intro the human body (anatomy), that is taught by a Dr.Miller who teaches biochemistry to the dental students. It is said that if you earn an A or B in that course, you will be in good shape in dental school. Of the 39 students that participated in last year's summer program, 15 were admitted into the dental school itself the next year, which means that the summer program is basically an 8wk interview process. Everything here is graded.We are in the first week, and I have received two grades already. There are students from all over, NY, Puerto Rico, LA CA, and of course, TX.

Baylor's summer program is touted as one of the best in the country as is the school. They expect everyone in the program to earn a 20 AA, while the PAT is not scrutinized as much, but you are still expected to do your best on that section. For me, the labs are the hardest thus far, because I haven't had much experience. In fact, monetary awards are given in addition to the $2200 stipend and room and board monies for students who are most improved, and make the highest score on the DAT. The program is very strict. It is supposed to be a model of dental school, so we are there from 8am to 5pm and sometimes longer. The days are long, but rewarding. I must admit that I feel somewhat in awe of the place and the professionalism. Since I have never participated in a summer program before I didn't know what to expect. Being at Baylor, as raised my expectations of myself and what I thought it takes to be a dentist. I feel that I will be better prepared for dental school whether I attend Baylor or some other program. God Bless and take care.