DAT Problems and Retaking Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HockeyGuy97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First ever post on SDN so hang tight. I graduated college Fall of 2020 and took about 6 months off from hitting the books to start working and relax. I picked up a part time job unloading trucks at a distribution center and mowing lawns with a friend during my free time. I started studying for my first attempt at the DAT in 2021 from July 1st to August 31st using Chad's Videos, DAT Bootcamp, and DAT Destroyer (below are my results). After my first attempt, I took some time off from studying and continued working. I decided I would sign up to start study again from November 13th to January 13th (below are my results).

I know everyone sees my problem with QR, but I am just not sure how to fix it. The first time I studied I used Math Destroyer from the DAT Destroyer team and only saw a handful of questions from there on my exam. I was surprised because the DAT Destroyer team really delivered for me in all the other sections so I was wasn’t sure why I struggled so much in this one section. So the second time studying I decided to switch it up and use DAT Bootcamp instead. Oddly enough, I felt more prepared the second time and still can't believe I didn't improve.

I am extremely humbled to have earned exceptional scores in OCHEM and PAT, but I believe my QR score is what will hold me back in the end. Then again, I also feel like I have read just out about every SDN thread on "Low QR Scores" today so that could be it too. If anyone can offer some insight or advice on what my next steps should be as far as retaking the DAT or even applying it would be greatly appreciated. I’m pretty bummed out over my QR score after this second attempt, and have a feeling I will probably be taking the DAT a third time because of it. To everyone who takes the time to comment or offer advice, thank you in advance.

3.83 GPA, 3.78 SPGA (All A’s and a handful of B’s)
2 semester of research in Organic Chemistry
Treasurer of Pre-Dental Club for a year
President and Captain of Club Hockey Team
150 Shadowing hours
200 Dental/Non-Dental Volunteer Hours (Combined)

1st DAT Attempt:
BIO: 20
GCHM: 18
ORGO: 23
PAT: 23
RC:19
QR: 15
TS: 20
AA: 19

2nd DAT Attempt:
BIO: 22
GCHM: 19
OCHM: 26
PAT: 24
RC: 17
QR: 14
TS: 22
AA: 20

Members don't see this ad.

I would be happy to offer some advice and insight, if you like you can PM me. I have worked with hundreds of students who have struggled with QR , your story isn't unusual. Math just isn't your strong point, but those science scores are what schools like to see. There is a chance you can get in with the lower QR score just depends on where you are applying.

Hope to hear from you.

Nancy, co/owner, Destroyers