DAT QotD Solving for Hypotenuse Given Area and Perimeter

Started by acemason
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

acemason

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel dumb asking this but I haven't done this sort of math since middle/elementary school so I'd appreciate some help. I got the right answer but I feel like the way I'm solving it takes too long. Please look over my method and let me know if there's a faster way/shortcut to solve this problem.

Today's DAT Question of the Day is:

If the area and perimeter of a right triangle are 30 cm2 and 30 cm, respectively, what is the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle)?


So I'm solving this by first setting up two equations: Area: (1/2)(a)(b) = 30 Perimeter: a + b + c = 30 along with a^2 + b^2 = c^2.

First, I rewrote the Perimeter equation as: a + b = 30 - c

Then, I squared both sides of the equation and expanded: a^2 + b^2 + 2ab = 900 + c^2 - 60c

I then combined this with the a^2 + b^2 = c^2 equation and simplified it to: 2ab = 900 - 60c

From the Area equation we know (a)(b) = 60 so plugging this into the last equation gives: 120 = 900 - 60c

120 = 900 - 60c
60c = 780
c = 13 i.e. length of the hypotenuse.
 
Last edited:
The point of this question is to encourage you to find the shortcut. If you see a triangle on the DAT, try the Pythagorean Triples or special right triangles from the start. You might save a lot of time than doing it the long way (and sometimes seemingly impossible way).