DAT RC section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emhl123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really struggling on the RC section. I have taken 2 bootcamp and 5 qvault practice tests and have scored around 17-19 on all of them. I have tried pretty much every strategy. Search and Destroy method is too stressful for me so I have been reading in 5 paragraph increments while quickly writing down keywords from each paragraph and then answering as many questions as I can from what I've read. Then I continue once I cannot answer anymore questions. I've really been trying to work on my timing but always finish the first passage around 23-25 minutes and then eventually run out of time to finish the third. I really don't know what to do since I've already taken 7 exams and still cannot figure out a strategy. Also, my DAT is in a week so I am very worried about this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Bro I run into the SAME thing. No lie. I am just constantly reading though. Always read. You never know when in an interview they ask about your RC score. Having a habit, though, no matter what speed is your best bet to getting better. HABIT of READING.

Just try this basic method. For every paragraph make a number outline. Jot dot down key words and ideas for every paragraph via the number designated for that paragraph. You probably already tried this I am assuming, so just try to calm down and not think about time, DAT, just focus on the paper.

A lot of people just lose focus and turn into ADHD mode where they can think of any scenario in the world other than the paper lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you done the BY4YOU method?
Yes I have. That is the current method I am trying to work on getting better at because it seems like it's the only method that won't severely stress me out. Even with this method I am spending around 23-25 minutes per passage.

Just try this basic method. For every paragraph make a number outline. Jot dot down key words and ideas for every paragraph via the number designated for that paragraph. You probably already tried this I am assuming, so just try to calm down and not think about time, DAT, just focus on the paper.

A lot of people just lose focus and turn into ADHD mode where they can think of any scenario in the world other than the paper lol.

Your right, no matter how much I try to keep focused and not zone out, it seems like my memory erases everything as soon as I finish reading. Hence why I jot down keywords for each paragraph...it makes it a little easier for me to recall. Maybe I am writing down too much and wasting time?

Is english your second language?

Yes it is. Maybe that is why it takes me so long to read! Although english is my second language, I attended elementary school all through college here in the U.S., so you would think I would be fine with this section...I did well in my English courses, I've just always been a slow reader and have to reread things to fully grasp what is going on.