DAT Reading Comprehension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgirl101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my DAT in a month and I'm beyond nervous about the RC section. I've only tested myself using Qvault and did one bootcamp test.

Which programs did you guys use to study for RC (Achiever, BC, QVault?) and which program's score would you say was most similar to what you actually received?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't take it yet, but every version is different. Some people get short articles with straightforward questions. One user here posted about how he had multiple tough inference questions that were even harder than bc.

Yea, RC was way harder than I expected. It seems that every practice test was about the same length for the articles and one of mine on the real thing was 21 paragraphs, none of the techniques I had used in the past were really usable for this and I freaked out. Find something that works and use Bootcamp, genius, or qvault for practice. Maybe going to science journal websites and reading as fast as you can while trying to understand will help if this problem exists on the test for you. Practice how to skim efficiently. Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
DAT Achiever is the hardest RC you will ever take. I think DAT BC is the best. It is harder than the real thing, but it's still worth every second. TopScore was much too easy I thought, although it was most similar to what I had for my DAT. Still though, there are so many different versions, and I was always pretty good at RC anyways. I would stick with DAT BC and most importantly figure out a method that works for you. This is so important! Do not wait until the last second to figure out your method for RC. I scored a 25 on my RC on the DAT and it was mostly S&D I felt with a couple of true and false and tone questions. It was nothing crazy, but it may have just been the version I received.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same page as you. My average RC on BC and Qvault has been around 18 :(

What did you guys average on your BC/Qvault RC sections?

Qvault I was getting 23 an 24 but I only did two I think.
Bootcamp I got from 18-22

And then I created my "balanced approach" and got like a 24 on my final bootcamp and then took the test and got a 28.

Bootcamp range: 17-22; averaged 18-19. Scored 19 RC on DAT. Go for bootcamp (provides solution and explanations).

Qvault I was getting 23 an 24 but I only did two I think.
Bootcamp I got from 18-22

And then I created my "balanced approach" and got like a 24 on my final bootcamp and then took the test and got a 28.
:heckyeah::heckyeah:28?? Do you have a thread with your balanced approach? I'd love to read it :)