DAT Results 4/17 ~~> Lengthy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayhov

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT 4/17. Sorry for posting so late just been partying and studying for finals.

AA: 21
Bio: 19
GC: 20
OC: 29 :D
Math : 18
RC: 19
PAT: 17 :mad:
TS: 20 <~~ Don't know why!!!!

Overview:

Bio: Read the Kaplan book word for word. But honestly that will not be enough. If you have enough time go through the Exam Krakcer Bio book also what helped me a lot was REA Biology. It has 6 practice exams. Do every single problem and use the answers to help you realize. The Real DAT was very similar to REA. Other than that Good luck in this section. If you can get your hands on some other bio review books use them!!!! Study wisely for this section.

GC: WOW!!! I was scoring 12's and 13's in kaplan. What I did was use the Kaplan Question Bank over and over. And learn why each answer was wrong. Along with reading the Kaplan gen. chem section 4 times!!! This is all you will need to do. The Real DAT is very conceptual. Topscore will also help!! All you will need is Kaplan and Topscore for this section

OC: This was my worst section while taking practice tests. Never got above a 19 on any practice test. The REAL DAT is much easier than this section. One piece of advice is know your BENZENE CHEMISTRY!!!! Use a text book. Know it in an out. Know it if you wake up 4 in the morning!!!! Trust me on this. Other than that the Kaplan Organic Chem is very good.

Math: Exactly like Topscore. If you can handle TS than you will do fine. Unless you are like me and just want to get out of the damn test!!! Go over the Topscore tests like 2 or 3 times. Also know how to conver from Celsius to Fahrenheit and to Kelvin.

Reading: WOW!!! I was scoring 15's and 16's on this section. My reading comp section was more like Topscore. I used all the Kaplan material for this section. That should be enough. On top of that I did not time myself on the Reading comp section while doing TopScore practice tests. I think this helped me the most. I honestly taught the Kaplan reading comp exams were very hard. One thing to look out for is that the Real DAT has very long passages. I went through the whole passage in 3 mintues just writing down keywords and trying to understand very briefly what the passage is about. Then went straight to the questions.

PAT: All i have to say is ^*^@*&$^......Keep practicing. I was scoring 22's and 23's on all the practice sections!!!! I taught I was doing real well on the Real DAT until I saw my score. The Angles!!! As everyone said FORGET ABOUT IT!!! I don't understand why I did so horrible on this section. Whatever the test is over!!!!! Just practice, practice and practice. And then when your tired, practice some more!!!

When I started the DAT I was nervous as hell, that is why I think my BIO score is so low compared to my other science scores. Whatever!!! One thing I realized is that I breezed through the Science section I was done in 65 minutes!!! And I was thinking what the hell.....It can't be.....But the real DAT is all conceptual. This gave me time to go back to the BIO section cause I marked like 20 questions in that section. YEA I WAS NERVOUS. I remember during the middle of the Science section I was ready to get up and leave because the test was hard. But if you keep doing practice tests you will be fine for this section. Another thing is try to take it easy the week before the DAT, I went through all 9 practice tests I had and as many problems I could get my hands on. Then when the DAT came around I was so tired of doing practice problems I just didn't care what would happen.

I think one of the reasons I did well was because of this board. And I like to thank all the previous people for posting and all those who answered my questions when I was going crazy studying!!!

My gpa is around 3.45, science gpa of 3.7. Still have to take physics and some more upper level bio classes. Also I have many many hours of research which has been published. I will be applying to around 9 schools might add one more. Sorry this is lengthy!!! Okay got to go. If you got any questions PM Me!!! Good Luck!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

congratulation on an excellent performance :thumbup:

now all you gotta do is decide where you'd like to go for dental school.

great job man...Apply early...keep in touch with the interested schools and you will be in somewhere :thumbup:

Nice job!!! And awesome GPA too. You probably already know, but don't procrastinate on the application. You're gonna be picking them more so than they'll be picking you!!!

In terms of why you only got 20 on TS...it is not a true average of GChem, OChem, and Bio (though that has been posted here in the past). It's about percentile rank for the entire Natural Sciences section. So for instance, if you missed 0 on OChem (which you did), 8 on GChem, and 12 on Bio, they would take the 20 missed questions out of a total of 100 questions and rank you against your peers for those entire 100 questions. Again, the average is centered around approx 17. They do this for every section and for the academic average too. The variances differ from section to section, so in some sections, a 70 percentile score may equate to an 18 but in others it may equate to a 20. So in your case, since Bio has more questions that the other sections and has a variance that is likely to weigh more heavily on the TS score, it played a big part of your TS 20. Regardless, you did a great job on the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey dude you did very well. Your partying is well deserved. Good stuff!

stealth_sigrho.

Ochem-29! - That's a highest you can get - perfect score on that section. You will see enormous rewards for these DAT scores when they are observed during interviews.

Good Job!

To the OP:

You mentioned REA Biology - I bought something called:
REA Biology Builder for Admission and Standardizations Tests - is this the same book you used? Thanks, I appreciate your feedback!