DAT results and common concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nush

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is the first thread I have ever posted, so bear with me . . .
I recently took the DAT (august 28) and i wanted to make sure I shared my experiences with everyone b/c you have all helped me so much!
first off, the digits:

AA 20
TS 20
Bio 18
GC 20
OC 22
RC 22
PAT 18
QR 20

I am just going to go into the specific concerns that I had and that, more importantly, when I read through the other discussions, a lot of other people had. if you want to know more info about something, then just let me know.
nat sci:
my bio score was about 1-2 pts. higher than my topscorepro and kaplan scores, so i would say this they are a pretty good estimate of what you will get. g.chem- this section is really WAY easier on the DAT. i was getting 17, 18 at most on topscore and i got a 20. there are no calculations and so do not worry about timing in this section. this was my biggest concern and it is really so much easier than ANY of the practice tests.
ochem- same as practice tests, this was always my strongest subject
PAT:
this section was always my highest. i was getting constant 22, 23's, so watch out! yes, the angles are way more difficult and i really slowed down in this section because of that and lost a lot of time. also, i was paper folding like crazy and noone came in to tell me to stop at the test center, so feel free to fold away (at least if you are in st. louis). this was one of my major concerns b/c i cannot do the paper-folding section successfully without folding the paper.
Reading:
this was also a section i was concerned about, but it was so easy! really, if i can do it, so can you! i was getting 18 at most on the practice exams, mostly b/c i did not finish and had like 10 questions left. but the exam was so much easier and i actually finished with a few minutes to spare. it is really word for word in the question as it appears in the passage. do not sweat this section, really.
QR:
this section is fairly accurate of the topscore and kaplan ones. i had one trig questions. timing is everything. just get your timing down when you practice and this should be the most straight-forward section.

I studied about 2 months for the exam with both a full-time and a part-time job, and training for a marathon. i am not special, so if i can do it, so can you! really, just work hard, do as many practice tests as you can get your hands on, and you will be fine. I did not take a kaplan course b/c i knew if i just had a good studying schedule i could do it on my own.
let me know if you guys have any more questions!

Members don't see this ad.

These are great scores! You can relax and enjoy weekend now. =)

Lilith said:
These are great scores! You can relax and enjoy weekend now. =)

oh my gosh it's soooo nice not to have to be studying CONSTANTLY. i would seriously whip out notecards anywhere I could: waiting at the doctor's office, on the treadmill . . . it's all over now! well, until the boards.