Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
I just took the DAT today. I was very dissapointed at first because I set a goal of 24 months ago, but in the end I will at least be competitive. Here are my scores:
AA: 22
PAT: 19
QR: 30
RC: 22
Bio: 22
Chem: 18
Ochem: 20
Total Sci: 20
I graduated from college a few years ago with a double major in Management Science and Biological Anthropology, but my GPA was only 2.9 so I thought I would need a 24 to have no doubts. Now there is some doubt in my mind about getting into schools like UOP (my first choice) or USC.
What do you guys think? On the applications it doesn't even give room to list both majors so all they will see is my GPA. I'm really scared about that becuase I know in my heart that doing those two degrees with a 2.9 is far more challenging than doing a generic biology degree. Will any schools like my unique background and see how both a background in finance and anthropology actually prepare my better for dental school than any biology degree?
By the way, since I graduated I have been working in finance so I'm hoping schools will like that kind of experience rather than shun it. (I have done lots of observing and have great letters from dentists so they will definitely know I have a strong interest for dentistry)
Also as for my DAT scores what do you guys think? Will the 30 on QR stand out? I don't see too many of those. Or will they see that it was the thing that saved my AA, and that my total science score wasn't that good.
I just took the DAT today. I was very dissapointed at first because I set a goal of 24 months ago, but in the end I will at least be competitive. Here are my scores:
AA: 22
PAT: 19
QR: 30
RC: 22
Bio: 22
Chem: 18
Ochem: 20
Total Sci: 20
I graduated from college a few years ago with a double major in Management Science and Biological Anthropology, but my GPA was only 2.9 so I thought I would need a 24 to have no doubts. Now there is some doubt in my mind about getting into schools like UOP (my first choice) or USC.
What do you guys think? On the applications it doesn't even give room to list both majors so all they will see is my GPA. I'm really scared about that becuase I know in my heart that doing those two degrees with a 2.9 is far more challenging than doing a generic biology degree. Will any schools like my unique background and see how both a background in finance and anthropology actually prepare my better for dental school than any biology degree?
By the way, since I graduated I have been working in finance so I'm hoping schools will like that kind of experience rather than shun it. (I have done lots of observing and have great letters from dentists so they will definitely know I have a strong interest for dentistry)
Also as for my DAT scores what do you guys think? Will the 30 on QR stand out? I don't see too many of those. Or will they see that it was the thing that saved my AA, and that my total science score wasn't that good.
Your scores are certainly in the range that UoP desires. Don't be sad at all over your performance. While your gpa is lower than the average for almost all dental schools, I think that your performance on the DAT will signal to adcoms that you indeed can put forth the effort and earn high marks. Plus, things happen along the way that lead to outcomes that are less than what we would like. These are things that you can explain in an interview. In addition I think that your background and work experience might work to your advantage as it sets you apart from the other candidates. I understand that you had worked hard for a 24, but please don't beat yourself up over a 22!!!