Brutess

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello SDN,

It's been a long year. Exactly one year ago I took my DAT for the first time. I'm certainly not new to this site for I've lurked in the shadows of this forum since July 2016. Every day on my drive to the library I'd envision myself cheerfully typing up a detailed breakdown. I took my test and I did not do well. I have a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.1 sGPA (upward trend though!). I took a Kaplan DAT course which was a massive waste of time. It was taught by a med student. Halfway through the summer I bought DAT Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer; I used neither resource correctly. For each, I'd do questions and if I knew the answer, great! If not, not so great. I would not read the explanations (which is where the must-know, in-depth material lies). Chad's Videos were helpful but I had a tough time grasping the material. Maybe it was his explanations but I'm sure his stuff is fantastic for the majority of test takers on here.

My 2016 (1st time) scores were as follows --
PAT 22
QR 21
RC 19
BIO 18
CHM 19
ORGO 17

TS 18
AA 19

Needless to say I was devastated. It was my chance to compensate for my low cGPA and more importantly, my sGPA. I completely blew it. I know the scores aren't awful but I couldn't wrap my head around that at the time and with my undergraduate grades, a retake was necessary after three months of hard work.

Since you all read that pointless backstory, I owe you a breakdown of Take Two.

I used both DAT Bootcamp and DAT destroyer again. I used Bootcamp mainly for its PAT generators which are absolutely amazing. They're all you need to succeed in that section. DAT Bootcamp provides awesome RC practice. A few of those and you're golden. Also, I think Bootcamp's new Quantitative Comparison questions are off the hook, yo!

With that being said...
I owe most of my success to DAT Destroyer. The book has everything you need. I will say that the book will be most effective after already building a strong foundation. Many of you already have a solid foundation so that's not necessarily an issue. I began doing questions last summer without reading the answer key, which is awful, but also I didn't understand why the answers were what they were. Perhaps Chad's/Mike's/Lance's/Gabriel's Videos or whoever the hell is making videos now could provide you with that strong foundation. Also, RussellDW's notes were fantastic! On top of that, I'm a visual learner so I watched AK Lectures on YouTube and thought it was super helpful. Once you have a strong foundation, you respect this book. You sleep with this book. It has everything you need. Did I say that already?...Orgoman, you ROCK.

I highly, highly suggest you take ADA's 2009 exam. It's the most representative of the current DAT although almost ten years old. It helps you with timing as well. Also neglect the math section...you will not see mirror questions on your test.

My ADA 2009 scores were as follows --
PAT 22
QR 17
RC 19
BIO 22
CHM 26
ORGO 24

TS 23
AA 22

ONTO.MY.TEST...

I knew I needed to improve my sciences significantly so I spent most of my summer mastering those subjects. I wish I had not neglected PAT and QR as much as I did, but I felt it was necessary to prioritize sections which I needed to compensate for. I was most nervous about QR and Bio due to the endless number of questions the DAT can slap you in the face with. Other than that, I felt prepared to crush this damn thing....the improvements you all are waiting to see...

My 2017 scores are as follows --
PAT 20
QR 19
RC 20
BIO 23
CHM 22
ORGO 26 (You read that correctly, 9 point increase!!!)

TS 24
AA 22

BIO:
No question caught me by surprise. I studied every answer from Destroyer and I'm glad I continued to during each traffic light on the drive to my testing center. Honestly, exposing yourself to the most questions you can seems like your best bet. Breadth over depth yadda yadda yadda. No plants, no taxonomy, no photosynthesis.

CHM:
Thought I hit a 30. I think I had one calculation, the rest of the math questions were simply setting up equations. It was at this point that I began smirking because I already knew I had won. My confidence shot through the roof. Very, very simple questions. Destroyer got the job done. Mike's question explanations were also key here.

ORGO:
Jesus...I have no idea why I took the test last summer because based on the knowledge I've acquired this time around, I knew nothing the first take. I couldn't have told you what an SN2 reaction was. I'm pretty sure I thought a Diels-Alder was a hormone. Also thought I hit a 30 here. What do you know? Nothing I haven't already been exposed to. Destroyer ferda win. Bootcamp also helped tremendously.

PAT:
Very similar to Bootcamp but boy was TFE hard. Pretty sure I marked 8 in a row and that is usually my best section. Practice makes perfect. It's great how you can rotate the 3D shape on Bootcamp because it helps you visualize the objects for future problems. In this section, you create your own strategies.

Break:
I forgot my damn sandwich at home so I settled for M&Ms.

RC:
I was genuinely frightened for this section because I never created a consistent strategy. Through Bootcamp's timed tests, I found that search and destroy was most helpful. Like always, I numbered my laminated sheet 1-18 for each passage and right as it started I totally neglected it. I'd write small tidbits of information if I had to mark and move on. For example, Question 42; Paragraph 7, so I knew where to look when I went back. Whenever you see dates (1984) in the questions, they'll stand out in the passages so that helped me search for answers. Same goes for percentages. I believe my passages were in order. It's a weird reason but I'm very good at word search puzzles so I think that helped me find key words within the passages.

QR:
Insanely hard. I guessed on about 15. I have no idea how I hit a 19. 1/6th was probably quantitative comparison and although they were straightforward, they must've amped up the rest of the questions to balance the difficulty. I spent the entire after-exam survey calculating possible AA's and through each one, I kept QR at a 15...that's how poorly I thought I did. I clicked END and there it was. One year of stress was lifted off my shoulders and it all felt real. I'd finally given myself the opportunity to pursue dentistry. It was actually a very emotional moment.

Two MAJOR pieces of advice:
1. Do not study only material you're comfortable with. You must not avoid certain topics that frequently appear on the exam just because you find them tough - train yourself to improve on your weaknesses.
2. Quality over quantity. Basically, studying for ten hours a day means **** if you're retaining two hours worth of material. Study efficiently. Last summer I made a box of index cards with each destroyer question written on one without even reading the card afterwards. Don't do that.

DAT Destroyer 11/10 Must Have
DAT Bootcamp 8/10 Good for timing, PAT, RC, Mike
RussellDW's Notes 8/10 Lays the foundation
AK Lectures 7/10 Would only use if I got stuck on a topic

Thank you so much guys. I could not have done it without your breakdowns, activity, and advice. It's an amazing community and I'm grateful to have been a part of it. Hit my DMs if your test is approaching. Helping future DAT takers is the least I could do to express my gratitude. On an unrelated note, I'm doing an SMP at Rutgers this Fall to make up for my GPA so if anyone wants to comment on that and explain if my scores and that master's will get me into schools, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Best of luck to all of you. Hang in there because if I can do it, so can you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

artist2022

D2 :)
2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Good job!!!!

Reactions: Ayyyds and Brutess

artist2022

D2 :)
2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
Status
Dental Student
As for your SMP, you proved you are really dedicated and if you can have that same dedication towards getting solid A's in your Master's program (100% no doubt there), it will boost your GPA and you will have an excelllllent chance of getting interviews and acceptances! :) Best of luck!!

Reactions: Ayyyds and Brutess
About the Ads
OP
Brutess

Brutess

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
As for your SMP, you proved you are really dedicated and if you can have that same dedication towards getting solid A's in your Master's program (100% no doubt there), it will boost your GPA and you will have an excelllllent chance of getting interviews and acceptances! :) Best of luck!!
Thank you!

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER... Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Hello SDN,

It's been a long year. Exactly one year ago I took my DAT for the first time. I'm certainly not new to this site for I've lurked in the shadows of this forum since July 2016. Every day on my drive to the library I'd envision myself cheerfully typing up a detailed breakdown. I took my test and I did not do well. I have a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.1 sGPA (upward trend though!). I took a Kaplan DAT course which was a massive waste of time. It was taught by a med student. Halfway through the summer I bought DAT Bootcamp and DAT Destroyer; I used neither resource correctly. For each, I'd do questions and if I knew the answer, great! If not, not so great. I would not read the explanations (which is where the must-know, in-depth material lies). Chad's Videos were helpful but I had a tough time grasping the material. Maybe it was his explanations but I'm sure his stuff is fantastic for the majority of test takers on here.

PAT 22
QR 21
RC 19
BIO 18
CHM 19
ORGO 17

TS 18
AA 19

Needless to say I was devastated. It was my chance to compensate for my low cGPA and more importantly, my sGPA. I completely blew it. I know the scores aren't awful but I couldn't wrap my head around that at the time and with my undergraduate grades, a retake was necessary after three months of hard work.

I used both DAT Bootcamp and DAT destroyer again. I used Bootcamp mainly for its PAT generators which are absolutely amazing. They're all you need to succeed in that section. DAT Bootcamp provides awesome RC practice. A few of those and you're golden. Also, I think Bootcamp's new Quantitative Comparison questions are off the hook, yo!

With that being said...
I owe most of my success to DAT Destroyer. The book has everything you need. I will say that the book will be most effective after already building a strong foundation. Many of you already have a solid foundation so that's not necessarily an issue. I began doing questions last summer without reading the answer key, which is awful, but also I didn't understand why the answers were what they were. Perhaps Chad's/Mike's/Lance's/Gabriel's Videos or whoever the hell is making videos now could provide you with that strong foundation. Also, RussellDW's notes were fantastic! On top of that, I'm a visual learner so I watched AK Lectures on YouTube and thought it was super helpful. Once you have a strong foundation, you respect this book. You sleep with this book. It has everything you need. Did I say that already?...Orgoman, you ROCK.

I highly, highly suggest you take ADA's 2009 exam. It's the most representative of the current DAT although almost ten years old. It helps you with timing as well. Also neglect the math section...you will not see mirror questions on your test.

PAT 22
QR 17
RC 19
BIO 22
CHM 26
ORGO 24

TS 23
AA 22

ONTO.MY.TEST...

I knew I needed to improve my sciences significantly so I spent most of my summer mastering those subjects. I wish I had not neglected PAT and QR as much as I did, but I felt it was necessary to prioritize sections which I needed to compensate for. I was most nervous about QR and Bio due to the endless number of questions the DAT can slap you in the face with. Other than that, I felt prepared to crush this damn thing....the improvements you all are waiting to see...

PAT 20
QR 19
RC 20
BIO 23
CHM 22

TS 24
AA 22

BIO:
No question caught me by surprise. I studied every answer from Destroyer and I'm glad I continued to during each traffic light on the drive to my testing center. Honestly, exposing yourself to the most questions you can seems like your best bet. Breadth over depth yadda yadda yadda. No plants, no taxonomy, no photosynthesis.

CHM:
Thought I hit a 30. I think I had one calculation, the rest of the math questions were simply setting up equations. It was at this point that I began smirking because I already knew I had won. My confidence shot through the roof. Very, very simple questions. Destroyer got the job done. Mike's question explanations were also key here.

ORGO:
Jesus...I have no idea why I took the test last summer because based on the knowledge I've acquired this time around, I knew nothing the first take. I couldn't have told you what an SN2 reaction was. I'm pretty sure I thought a Diels-Alder was a hormone. Also thought I hit a 30 here. What do you know? Nothing I haven't already been exposed to. Destroyer ferda win. Bootcamp also helped tremendously.

PAT:
Very similar to Bootcamp but boy was TFE hard. Pretty sure I marked 8 in a row and that is usually my best section. Practice makes perfect. It's great how you can rotate the 3D shape on Bootcamp because it helps you visualize the objects for future problems. In this section, you create your own strategies.

Break:

RC:
I was genuinely frightened for this section because I never created a consistent strategy. Through Bootcamp's timed tests, I found that search and destroy was most helpful. Like always, I numbered my laminated sheet 1-18 for each passage and right as it started I totally neglected it. I'd write small tidbits of information if I had to mark and move on. For example, Question 42; Paragraph 7, so I knew where to look when I went back. Whenever you see dates (1984) in the questions, they'll stand out in the passages so that helped me search for answers. Same goes for percentages. I believe my passages were in order. It's a weird reason but I'm very good at word search puzzles so I think that helped me find key words within the passages.

QR:
Insanely hard. I guessed on about 15. I have no idea how I hit a 19. 1/6th was probably quantitative comparison and although they were straightforward, they must've amped up the rest of the questions to balance the difficulty. I spent the entire after-exam survey calculating possible AA's and through each one, I kept QR at a 15...that's how poorly I thought I did. I clicked END and there it was. One year of stress was lifted off my shoulders and it all felt real. I'd finally given myself the opportunity to pursue dentistry. It was actually a very emotional moment.

1. Do not study only material you're comfortable with. You must not avoid certain topics that frequently appear on the exam just because you find them tough - train yourself to improve on your weaknesses.
2. Quality over quantity. Basically, studying for ten hours a day means **** if you're retaining two hours worth of material. Study efficiently. Last summer I made a box of index cards with each destroyer question written on one without even reading the card afterwards. Don't do that.

Thank you so much guys. I could not have done it without your breakdowns, activity, and advice. It's an amazing community and I'm grateful to have been a part of it. Hit my DMs if your test is approaching. Helping future DAT takers is the least I could do to express my gratitude. On an unrelated note, I'm doing an SMP at Rutgers this Fall to make up for my GPA so if anyone wants to comment on that and explain if my scores and that master's will get me into schools, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Congratulations to the voice in the night ...! DAT Beast Destroyed in the 2nd round..Whoa! Amazing move in Orgo, thanks for the informative and humorous post.

Keep swimming, you are almost there.

Dr. Romano and Nancy

Reactions: Brutess

Pearl E. White

D1 at LECOM
5+ Year Member
May 20, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Status
Dental Student
Congratulations! You did great!

OP
Brutess

Brutess

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Reactions: Ayyyds
Jun 15, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello SDN,

PAT 22
QR 21
RC 19
BIO 18
CHM 19
ORGO 17

TS 18
AA 19

With that being said...

PAT 22
QR 17
RC 19
BIO 22
CHM 26
ORGO 24

TS 23
AA 22

ONTO.MY.TEST...

PAT 20
QR 19
RC 20
BIO 23
CHM 22

TS 24
AA 22

BIO:

CHM:

ORGO:

PAT:

Break:

RC:

QR:

What were you scoring on your QR practices? Can you elaborate on what made the QR section so hard? I have my test tomorrow, and QR seems to be by far my weakest section. It'd help more than you know!

EDIT: Just saw your comment about DM'ing. I'm relatively new to this site and not to sure how to navigate, feel free to DM me about it!!

OP
Brutess

Brutess

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I remembered a few things that helped me before and during my exam:

1) I used a whiteboard to study. I'd read RussellDW's notes or Bio from Destroyer and copy down a few notes. I'd read them over once, erase them, and write them again without looking; writing boosts memory and the ability to retain concepts. Also, Mnemonics did wonders for me. Just make up absurd scenarios and even if they don't make sense, you'll remember them because they make no sense.

2) On the day of my exam, I mimicked my daily study routine completely. I didn't use headphones while studying so I didn't touch the headphones at the testing center. It made the whole experience feel much more familiar, thus calming me of almost all nerves.

About the Ads