DAT Retake - 2nd time's a charm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalHopeful55

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took the DAT in mid-June for the first time. I studied the Kaplan book that was provided with the course day in and day out for 1 month solid. My scores were not up-to-par.
PAT: 20
QR: 15
RC: 21
BIO: 15
GENC: 15
OCHEM: 15
TS: 15
AA: 16

According to AADSAS my GPA calculations are BCP: 3.39, Science: 3.39, Non-Science: 3.56 and a total of 3.49. I have 1000+ hours of shadowing/dental experience and I currently work as a dental assistant.

I applied relatively early, first week of July, but still have some supplementals to finish. I think I'm going to take the DAT again in September (near the end to give me more time to study), but I'm working full-time too as a dental assistant. Do you think I have a shot? Is September too late? I'm terrified.

Advice and encouragement appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

sorry! i think a re-take would help, Sept is not too late, but re-take the test whenever u were ready

you should study other stuff other than kalpan.. and retake it asap .. those scores are pretty bad...

Members don't see this ad :)
you should study other stuff other than kalpan.. and retake it asap .. those scores are pretty bad...

yeah. You're going to have to get those scores pretty much improved all across the board. Use more study materials maybe? Destroyer? CDPat?

I recently took the DAT in mid-June for the first time. I studied the Kaplan book that was provided with the course day in and day out for 1 month solid. My scores were not up-to-par.
PAT: 20
QR: 15
RC: 21
BIO: 15
GENC: 15
OCHEM: 15
TS: 15
AA: 16

According to AADSAS my GPA calculations are BCP: 3.39, Science: 3.39, Non-Science: 3.56 and a total of 3.49. I have 1000+ hours of shadowing/dental experience and I currently work as a dental assistant.

I applied relatively early, first week of July, but still have some supplementals to finish. I think I'm going to take the DAT again in September (near the end to give me more time to study), but I'm working full-time too as a dental assistant. Do you think I have a shot? Is September too late? I'm terrified.

Advice and encouragement appreciated!
Well, you definitely need to retake!
I think end of September is somewhat late, but that's just my personal opinion and you're welcome to disagree with me. Why do I think this?
If you take the score at the end of September, you're scores won't get to your designated schools until late October. Now, you must realize that Mid October-Early Nov is the time when schools start conducting their first set of interviews. Many schools fill up to 40-60% of their classes during this time, depending on how fast the admission process works!
So, let's say you rock the DAT and schools see that at the end of October. The earliest interview date you'll get is probably something in early-mid December if not later.
Now, here's the problem, you're GPA is not the highest out there. Subsequently, you won't be very competitive unless you score 20+ on your second DAT. Generally, the later interview you get the more competitive your stats must be.
So, I encourage you to take the DAT ASAP. However, make sure you're ready before taking it.