DAT retake advice, PLZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babulibu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
here is my DAT break down from last summer:
QR 19
Bio 18
G chem 17
Ochem 21
RC 16
PA17
TS 19
AA 18
My GPA is 3.7 and I have a masters (MS) in biology. I have more than 300 hours of shadowing in different dental offices and a lot of community service. I also have great Letter of recommendations. I am planning to apply June 1st for the 1st time. I purchased the catalog form ADA and people have got into schools with DAT scores as low as 15-16 ( I know there are exceptions out there).

DO you guys know people that have got into dental schools with scores similar to mine?
DO you think I should retake or apply and see what schools wants me to do? because I don't think that getting into dental school is all about DAT score. Please give me some advice based on your experience :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
here is my DAT break down from last summer:
QR 19
Bio 18
G chem 17
Ochem 21
RC 16
PA17
TS 19
AA 18
My GPA is 3.7 and I have a masters (MS) in biology. I have more than 300 hours of shadowing in different dental offices and a lot of community service. I also have great Letter of recommendations. I am planning to apply June 1st for the 1st time. I purchased the catalog form ADA and people have got into schools with DAT scores as low as 15-16 ( I know there are exceptions out there).

DO you guys know people that have got into dental schools with scores similar to mine?
DO you think I should retake or apply and see what schools wants me to do? because I don't think that getting into dental school is all about DAT score. Please give me some advice based on your experience :)

To be honest, I think your GPA should get you some interviews assuming you are NOT shooting for schools like Harvard, Columbia, etc.

I would apply with those stats but at the same time prepare to retake the DAT just in case.

You have a good chance of getting in, but why not retake? Seriously, spending the $700 for the DAT fee and the proper study materials now could save you thousands from applying another cycle if you don't get in.

i just took my dat today and got the same score. i have a gpa of 3.73 and only an undergrad degree. i do not have many dental observation hours. I feel kinda crappy because i dont want to study for another three months and take the dat again, but i ill retake and aim for 22+. I would love to go to Columbia or NYU. Any advice on what else i should work on?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't calculated my GPA this year but I remember form last summer that both my science and total GPA were definitely above 3.6 and around 3.7.
I don't wanna get into Harvard or anything like that. I live in CA and I am aiming for a school like western in pamona or something like that.

i just took my dat today and got the same score. i have a gpa of 3.73 and only an undergrad degree. i do not have many dental observation hours. I feel kinda crappy because i dont want to study for another three months and take the dat again, but i ill retake and aim for 22+. I would love to go to Columbia or NYU. Any advice on what else i should work on?
Drshadi: I'd say just send your applications as early as june 1st and take the DAT exactly after 3 month in august. hopefully you can get a higher score.

You have a good chance of getting in, but why not retake? Seriously, spending the $700 for the DAT fee and the proper study materials now could save you thousands from applying another cycle if you don't get in.

Hey why are you saying that I have a good chance? Can u be more specific?