DAT Retake Breakdown 7/18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdent110

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm so glad that it's finally over. This is my second time taking the DAT and I couldn't be happier with my scores.:soexcited: I was aiming for a 22+ so I think it really helps to set high expectations for yourself.

PAT: 22
QR: 18
RC: 20
BIO: 20
GC: 21
OC: 24
TS: 21
AA: 21

The first time I studied for the DAT, I went through all of Chad's videos/quizzes, used Cliff's for bio, and practiced using qVault/Crack the DAT PAT. I did buy the destroyer and went through the gen chem/orgo sections but I was having a really hard time grasping the concepts. I'd spend so much time trying to figure out problems that it took up a substantial amount of my studying time... when it was time to take my exam, I had only gotten through Destroyer once and forgot a lot of the basics. I let my nerves get the best of me and knew my scores did not represent my true potential... Application cycle came around and DAT scores were holding me back.

When I first started studying for this test the second time around, I also knew that I'd have to do things differently. The materials I used were Cliff's AP Bio (9/10), Feralis Biology Notes (9/10), Chad's videos and quizzes (11/10), DAT Bootcamp (11/10,), Qvault (Bio- 10/10, Ochem/Gchem 7/10), Math Destroyer (9/10), and DAT Destroyer (10/10). I did not rewatch Chads videos because I took very good notes when I first watched them last year. I reviewed these notes throughout the first few weeks of studying (5 weeks of studying total) and then did my best to strictly memorize everything that was presented. I went through all of Cliff's and feralis bio notes and practiced PAT every other day using Bootcamp. Next thing I knew, my exam was in t-minus 3 weeks so I kicked things into high gear...

I went through all of the bootcamp exams twice (once ~20 days before the test and another ~12 days before). The first time I did all of the practice exams, I wrote down everything I got wrong and understood the reasons why. I made a separate set of notes that contained my errors from bootcamp/qvault and thought this was REALLY helpful. I read through all of these notes at least 10 times before my test date (once every other day).

PAT: Use bootcamp. Keyhole was comparable, TFE was simple enough, angles weren't bad (whew... I looked for the smallest between the options and went from there), hole punching was a piece of cake (infamous line of symmetry method), cube counting was easier than any bc test, and pattern folding was not too bad (still easier than bc). Overall, this section is easier than bc. I was averaging 19-20 on all bc tests.

QR: I neglected this section. I don't know, I felt like I needed to spend more time studying for the sciences and just really didn't care for it. Was hoping that I'd score at least an 18+. I went through the first 5 tests of math destroyer (untimed). Very similar to the real thing... bc is not representative at all. I only did one exam and it is definitely harder than the real thing.

RC: So I was averaging a 20 on bc. I think I got a 20 because this section was actually harder than I thought it'd be. I thought it was comparable to bc. I did not use search and destroy because I did that the first time I took the test and panicked. I think reading and mapping out the passage just works out better for me. I did 3 tests using bc to find a method that I was comfortable with. One of my passages was just really strange (very happy I did not use s&d).

BIO: Went through Cliff's AP Bio and Feralis twice. Made a bunch of notecards... QVault was fantastic. Averaged a 19 on bc.

GC: Chad for the basics and then use destroyer for practice. I was about to skip out on the destroyer because I felt like it wasn't very beneficial the first time I took the exam.
***Make sure you have memorized the basics (Chad's) of the gen chem/orgo sections before starting destroyer! This really is the way to go. I knew how to use it the second time I took the exam and thought it was much more helpful this way. I used to despise this book but it really is a gem. I'm so unbelievably happy that I sucked it up and decided to go through it again. You learn so much more and save so much time by knowing what you're doing before diving into it.***
BC was great practice (averaging a 19) and qvault was pretty good. I definitely caught some errors but one of my DAT questions was really similar to a question I encountered in qvault, so it definitely helped as well.

OC: Destroyer was great. Road maps are awesome but be sure to go over the lab techniques as well! I was averaging a 21 on bc so I'm definitely happy with this score. Qvault OC sucks... waste of time in my opinion.

So that's that. I'm finally done and definitely not retaking. No more DAT forever:soexcited: I posted this because I know how stressful the entire process can be. The biggest mistake I made was letting my nerves get the best of me the first time I took this exam. If I could go back in time, I would do so many things differently. Stay strong and be confident! Go into that exam with the right mindset and anything is possible... Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_3668.jpg
    IMG_3668.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Omg your scores on bootcamp were like identical to mine :D. I take mine in four days and reading this helps a ton! I still haven't gone through destroyer in biology, but I have spent the past 5 days reviewing feralis notes for a second time. My A&P was my weakness going into studying for the DAT, but I think Feralis/Chad's MCAT Bio/Youtube has been very helpful.

One question: Between your two exams you had, did you have questions about plant? This is the one section I have neglected in my biology studies.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
I'm so glad that it's finally over. This is my second time taking the DAT and I couldn't be happier with my scores. :soexcited: I was aiming for a 22+ so I think it really helps to set high expectations for yourself.

PAT: 22
QR: 18
RC: 20
BIO: 20
GC: 21
OC: 24
TS: 21
AA: 21

The first time I studied for the DAT, I went through all of Chad's videos/quizzes, used Cliff's for bio, and practiced using qVault/Crack the DAT PAT. I did buy the destroyer and went through the gen chem/orgo sections but I was having a really hard time grasping the concepts. I'd spend so much time trying to figure out problems that it took up a substantial amount of my studying time... when it was time to take my exam, I had only gotten through Destroyer once and forgot a lot of the basics. I let my nerves get the best of me and knew my scores did not represent my true potential (18 AA, 18 TS, 18 PAT)... Application cycle came around and DAT scores were holding me back. I landed a few interviews late in the cycle, but at the end of the day, I knew a retake was inevitable.

When I first started studying for this test the second time around, I also knew that I'd have to do things differently. The materials I used were Cliff's AP Bio (9/10), Feralis Biology Notes (10/10), Chad's videos and quizzes (11/10), DAT Bootcamp (12/10, thank you Ari!), Qvault (Bio- 10/10, Ochem/Gchem 8/10), Math Destroyer (10/10), and DAT Destroyer (10/10). I did not rewatch Chads videos because I took very good notes when I first watched them last year. I reviewed these notes throughout the first few weeks of studying (5 weeks of studying total) and then did my best to strictly memorize everything that was presented. I went through all of Cliff's and feralis bio notes and practiced PAT every other day using Bootcamp. Next thing I knew, my exam was in t-minus 3 weeks so I kicked things into high gear...

I went through all of the bootcamp exams twice (once ~20 days before the test and another ~12 days before). The first time I did all of the practice exams, I wrote down everything I got wrong and understood the reasons why. I made a separate set of notes that contained my errors from bootcamp/qvault and thought this was REALLY helpful. I read through all of these notes at least 10 times before my test date (once every other day).

PAT: Use bootcamp. Much better than Crack the DAT PAT although it's more difficult. Keyhole was comparable, TFE was simple enough, angles weren't bad (whew... I looked for the largest between the options and went from there), hole punching was a piece of cake (infamous line of symmetry method), cube counting was easier than any bc test, and pattern folding was not too bad (still easier than bc). Overall, this section is easier than bc. I was averaging 19-20 on all bc tests.

QR: I neglected this section. I don't know, I felt like I needed to spend more time studying for the sciences and just really didn't care for it. :lame: Was hoping that I'd score at least an 18+. I went through the first 5 tests of math destroyer (untimed). Very similar to the real thing... bc is not representative at all. I only did one exam and it is definitely harder than the real thing.

RC: So I was averaging a 20 on bc. I think I got a 20 because this section was actually harder than I thought it'd be. I thought it was comparable to bc. I did not use search and destroy because I did that the first time I took the test and panicked. I think reading and mapping out the passage just works out better for me. I did 3 tests using bc to find a method that I was comfortable with. My exam was pretty weird and one of my passages was just really strange (very happy I did not use s&d).

BIO: Went through Cliff's AP Bio and Feralis twice. Made a bunch of notecards... I did not use destroyer for this and glad I didn't. QVault was fantastic. Averaged a 19 on bc.

GC: Chad for the basics and then use destroyer for practice. I was about to skip out on the destroyer because I felt like it wasn't very beneficial the first time I took the exam.
***Make sure you have memorized the basics (Chad's) of the gen chem/orgo sections before starting destroyer! This really is the way to go. I knew how to use it the second time I took the exam and thought it was much more helpful this way. I used to despise this book but it really is a gem. I'm so unbelievably happy that I sucked it up and decided to go through it again. You learn so much more and save so much time by knowing what you're doing before diving into it.***
BC was great practice (averaging a 19) and qvault was pretty good. I definitely caught some errors but one of my DAT questions was really similar to a question I encountered in qvault, so it definitely helped as well.

OC: Destroyer was great. Road maps are awesome but be sure to go over the lab techniques as well! I was averaging a 21 on bc so I'm definitely happy with this score. Qvault OC sucks... waste of time in my opinion.

So that's that. My score isn't as great as the others posted on here but I'm finally done and definitely not retaking. No more DAT foreva :soexcited: I posted this because I know how stressful the entire process can be. The biggest mistake I made was letting my nerves get the better of me the first time I took this exam. If I could go back in time, I would do so many things differently. It's all good though... I truly believe everything happens for a reason. This test is so much easier than you think. Stay strong and be confident! Go into that exam with the right mindset and anything is possible... Good luck! :)

Nice scores

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg your scores on bootcamp were like identical to mine :D. I take mine in four days and reading this helps a ton! I still haven't gone through destroyer in biology, but I have spent the past 5 days reviewing feralis notes for a second time. My A&P was my weakness going into studying for the DAT, but I think Feralis/Chad's MCAT Bio/Youtube has been very helpful.

One question: Between your two exams you had, did you have questions about plant? This is the one section I have neglected in my biology studies.

Awesome! You will do great. :) At this point, I think it's important for you to collect your thoughts and review your notes. Honestly, I cannot recall whether or not there were any plant questions...

Good job!! I'm glad to see the material you used was helpful. I'll definitly focuse on the destroyer and cliff notes

Why do you say OChem Qvault sucks? Just curious to see if its worth buying

I found a few mistakes in their program. Also, a lot of their questions felt irrelevant and not on par with the actual exam. I felt like the destroyer road maps+lab techniques (on the page after the road maps) and then just going over Chad's quizzes multiple times really helped...

How do you suggest to use Cliffs, Destroyer and Feralis?

Cliffs & Feralis- I read 2 chapters+corresponding Feralis chapters/day but keep in mind that some chapters take much longer than others. I went through all of Cliffs & Feralis notes almost 3 times. I paid much attention to detail the first two times but the third time not so much. I made notecards for the major topics (e.g. glycolysis, kreb's, water transport, sugar transport, taxa/classifications, hormones, etc.)

Destroyer- did roughly 40 questions/day for each section (excluding bio). I had enough time to go through it roughly 1.5 times. Make sure to understand all of the solutions and take notes/make flashcards if necessary.

I see. So I basically have to condense the material and maje my own notes. Thanks.

Nice scores.....good comeback story! Hopefully Ill be able to repeat the same thing! Using destroyers, crack pat, and kbb!