DAT Retake Cushion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsul3473

Reaction score
Hey, so I'm scheduled to take the DAT on May 18th (after rescheduling from April). Obviously I am preparing so that I only have to take this exam once, but I always like to leave a time for a retake for standardized tests in case something goes wrong horribly. 90 days from May 18th will put me in mid-late August. Will taking a retake put me in a bad spot in terms of this year's application cycle? My cGPA is 3.84, sGPA 3.79 (including Math, but higher without math probably). Thanks for the response.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
August is pretty late in the cycle, but people have done it with favorable outcomes (myself included). It honestly all just depends on how you do - if you do well, you have a shot at still getting a few pre-Dec interviews and some post-Dec ones. If you don't do well that late in the cycle (23-24+ just about imo), it may be harder to get any interviews (or you may get them at extremely expensive private schools) and you may have to reapply early the following cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
after july is late, ideally try to take end of april and again in late july, but being a little late shouldn't hurt you too much. It's simple, just do well the first time! although everyone I know who scored 23 took it multiple times

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, so I'm scheduled to take the DAT on May 18th (after rescheduling from April). Obviously I am preparing so that I only have to take this exam once, but I always like to leave a time for a retake for standardized tests in case something goes wrong horribly. 90 days from May 18th will put me in mid-late August. Will taking a retake put me in a bad spot in terms of this year's application cycle? My cGPA is 3.84, sGPA 3.79 (including Math, but higher without math probably). Thanks for the response.

Hello "jsul3473",
You should be fine doing what you are planning. Just try to peak with your study and practice test performance prior to May 18th. Use this down time (I recommend making downtime, if possible) to optimize your preparation. You want your first score to be your best score, and you don't want a retake hanging over your head. But, if you must retake, then budget 90 days for intense preparation (as it seems you have). Do everything you can to rock the test! Don't be too concerned about taking the DAT in August if you must retake. Admissions committees have a rolling cycle. This means that everyone with high GPA's and scores tend to apply early. If you apply in August with a higher than average DAT score, it would be better than applying with a low score (below average) early. With your GPA, you may be just fine with an average score, but given your GPA, you are not an average student. Strive to perform on the DAT just as you would your typical exams and you should be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
Will taking a retake put me in a bad spot in terms of this year's application cycle?

I agree with others that you should be fine especially with your stats. I had the same time frame as you during last year's cycle and got a mid-September interview. One thing that I would consider is to communicate to your prospective schools that you are planning on taking the DAT later. Looking back, I submitted my application before taking the DAT in August, but I was in communication with my prospective school.

Like Pookey said though, do well the first time and you will save a bunch of time/$!

I really don't think it'll be a problem. I took my DAT for the first time July 17, didn't turn in apps til early/mid August and got interviews from every school I wanted (besides 1). I even applied to 2 schools last minute in January and got interviews and acceptances at those schools too. Had similar GPA to you and a 24AA/30 PAT. Saying that though, don't rely too heavily on the cushion. Push your DAT back as much as you can until you can confidently take it and know you're going to do well. I ended up pushing my DAT back 3 times (schedule in late May originally) because I wasn't 100% confident I'd get the high score I wanted. I definitely have no regrets about that.