DAT retake in October

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newfuturedentist19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My earliest retake date for dat is mid October. I've submitted my application already. Is October too late for a retake? Also, should I email the schools to hold on to my application until my retake date or is this too risky even with a significantly higher score?

Members don't see this ad.

What is your current score?

October is pretty late, because your scores will become official by mid-Nov, so the interviews you'd get would probably be in December & onwards. And after Dec 5th, the number of seats in classes quickly fill up, so you'd be interviewing for either very few seats or waitlist spots.

What did you score on your first attempt? If you got a 19-20 and had one low score, then maybe just see how the cycle goes. If not, then schedule the retake for October, study hard these next three months, ace it in Oct, and send your unofficial scores to all the schools you applied to. Sit tight after that point, but you may have to reapply next cycle. Silver lining is that if you score well on your retake, then you'll be all set to apply as soon as the next cycle opens up (you'll have most of your app pre-filled, you'll have your scores, and you can ask your letter writers to update your LORs). I know that may not be the best thing to fall back onto, so really try and make sure you retake the earliest you can, and that you destroy it so you can send your unofficial scores in. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
October is pretty late, because your scores will become official by mid-Nov, so the interviews you'd get would probably be in December & onwards. And after Dec 5th, the number of seats in classes quickly fill up, so you'd be interviewing for either very few seats or waitlist spots.

What did you score on your first attempt? If you got a 19-20 and had one low score, then maybe just see how the cycle goes. If not, then schedule the retake for October, study hard these next three months, ace it in Oct, and send your unofficial scores to all the schools you applied to. Sit tight after that point, but you may have to reapply next cycle. Silver lining is that if you score well on your retake, then you'll be all set to apply as soon as the next cycle opens up (you'll have most of your app pre-filled, you'll have your scores, and you can ask your letter writers to update your LORs). I know that may not be the best thing to fall back onto, so really try and make sure you retake the earliest you can, and that you destroy it so you can send your unofficial scores in. Good luck!

Should I tell the schools to hold on to my application until my retake or let them make their own judgement because I indicated my retake on the application? I don't want to risk being rejected even before my retake but also don't want to risk having no seats at all after my October retake.
Thank you for the response btw!

Should I tell the schools to hold on to my application until my retake or let them make their own judgement because I indicated my retake on the application? I don't want to risk being rejected even before my retake but also don't want to risk having no seats at all after my October retake.
Thank you for the response btw!
I think since you've already indicated it on your app, leave it be and just focus on scoring the highest possible you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.