DAT Retake on Supplemental Applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreDent11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the DAT on 5/28 and got average scores (19 AA / 20 TS / 19 PAT). However, I'm not happy with these scores so I'm going to retake in late August/early September. Should I indicate on my supplemental applications that I'm planning to retake it? I'm also wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages to telling them that I'm retaking it.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the DAT on 5/28 and got average scores (19 AA / 20 TS / 19 PAT). However, I'm not happy with these scores so I'm going to retake in late August/early September. Should I indicate on my supplemental applications that I'm planning to retake it? I'm also wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages to telling them that I'm retaking it.

I have heard that some schools will hold your application until they receive your second score, and then process it. I would call the schools you're applying to and find out what the want you to do (or if they even recommend taking the test again). Honestly though, your scores are pretty good, and unless you're really lacking in other areas, I don't think I would retake it if I were you.

Really? Your scores are pretty good, dude.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you hear that they hold your application until 2nd scores are received? I was a little iffy on whether or not to retake it, but in the end I decided that paying to take it again is better than having to pay to reapply next cycle.

Where did you hear that they hold your application until 2nd scores are received? I was a little iffy on whether or not to retake it, but in the end I decided that paying to take it again is better than having to pay to reapply next cycle.

Dental schools want to process your application with all of the pertinent information. If they see that you are going to be retaking the DAT, they will hold off processing your application until they have it. Most of the time, students state they will be retaking the DAT in order to increase their low score, so schools will see the "future DAT date" box filled out, and MIGHT set the application aside. It's not a guarantee, they may process it anyway, and extend an invitation for an interview. But it is a possibility.