Aug 30, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
It's the same thread a lot of aspiring dentists have posted previously, "should I retake the DAT's". Whenever I read these threads you guys always gave your honest and academic opinions in order to maximize success when applying to dental school, so I was hoping you guys would be able to do the same with my scores.:bow:

Bio: 20
GC: 21
OC: 19
RC: 20
QR: 18
PAT: 18 :(
AA: 20
TS: 20

GPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.2 :(

Research work for 2 years
Shadowed at hospitals in Singapore and India

About the Ads
OP
T
Aug 30, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
:O i was going to apply the next cycle because I thought I had no chance this late in the current cycle. I will definitely consider applying as soon as possible then.

As for the sGPA, I was hoping to improve it this year by +.2 or +.1.

Needed these inputs so bad haha.

I was also wondering:
1. Do you recommend taking Microbiology (currently taking it) and Biochemistry courses?
2. Is it ok to take my chances and apply this cycle as soon as possible or should I wait for the following cycle?

Illumident

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
:O i was going to apply the next cycle because I thought I had no chance this late in the current cycle. I will definitely consider applying as soon as possible then.

As for the sGPA, I was hoping to improve it this year by +.2 or +.1.

Needed these inputs so bad haha.

I was also wondering:
1. Do you recommend taking Microbiology (currently taking it) and Biochemistry courses?
2. Is it ok to take my chances and apply this cycle as soon as possible or should I wait for the following cycle?
If the schools you're interested in don't require micro or biochem, then you don't need to take them. Take a look at the handbook of dental schools to see their pre-req requirements.

I would wait for the following cycle given your current stats. Apply as early as June.

OP
T
Aug 30, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Roger that sir. Yeah, some of the schools I want to apply to require biochemistry (Buffalo and Stony Brook, I believe?) but an adviser stated how microbiology was one of those courses that often has recurring themes in dental school and how the adcom probably would like to see if you how you can handle that type of information well.

And yeah if I'm applying the following cycle, I'm doing it June 1st haha.

Another question, Is it ok to apply to schools and rack shadowing hours after you've applied and will it still be considered into your application? (I have a decent amount of hours that led to my interest in the field but not near 200 hours+) I'm likely taking gap year if I'm applying the following cycle which pains me but it opens up a year.

Illumident

2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Another question, Is it ok to apply to schools and rack shadowing hours after you've applied and will it still be considered into your application? (I have a decent amount of hours that led to my interest in the field but not near 200 hours+) I'm likely taking gap year if I'm applying the following cycle which pains me but it opens up a year.
You don't need 200+ hours. I applied with about 100 which met the minimum for the schools I was interested in. You can certainly continue shadowing after you have submitted an application, but I'm not sure if it will be helpful as far as interview considerations go for the cycle you'll be in. Adcoms will look at the hours you have listed by the time you apply in June.

Sweet_Tooth

2+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I have almost the same stats as you (I have 3.25 sGPA, 3.47 oGPA, AA 20, TS 20--21 BIO, 19 OC and GC, 22 RC, 19 PAT, 17 QR) and applied at the end of June and already have 2 interviews!

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I got a very similar score to you the first time and I retook it and felt better afterwards. It's really personal preference. If you didn't apply this cycle maybe bring your grades up a bit and retake it before next cycle. : O

OP
T
Aug 30, 2017
Status
Pre-Dental
Awesome feedback. Good to hear someone from a similar standing getting interviews as well. I'll be keeping Microbiology in he end and I'll hopefully get the hours in by June. Currently my sGPA is exactly 3.27 so my stats are really similar to yours Sweet_Tooth. Hopefully you can let me know how things went.

Reactions: Sweet_Tooth
About the Ads