DAT retaking for the third time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ARumi786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently took DAT for the second time and got so upset of my results. I blame myself for taking DAT when I was not ready and confidence about taking it. The only resource I used was KBB and BC, I didn't take any practice test and that's why I ran out of time during the test while DAT was not that hard.
My GPA is 3.90 and I am so eager to get into UT Dental school where I am residence. This time I am going to make sure I get 100% ready then take DAT. but I am not sure how taking DAT for the third time is going to affect my chance of getting admission to UT?
Please share me any information you are sure about and guide me about admission process.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I recently took DAT for the second time and got so upset of my results. I blame myself for taking DAT when I was not ready and confidence about taking it. Last year I got into a car accident and my right wrist bones broke and I had to do surgery right one month before my DAT. I was not ready to take DAT at that time but my mom forced me to take it like taking a shoot in the dark. so my first time chance got spoiled and I decided to take it for the second time this summer. Again I did a mistake and without any confidence I retook DAT. The only resource I used was KBB and BC, I didn't take any practice test and that's why I was run out of time during the test while DAT was not that hard.
My GPA is 3.90 and I am so eager to get into UT Dental school where I am residence. This time I am going to make sure I get 100% ready then take DAT. but I am not sure how taking DAT for the third time is going to affect my chance of getting admission to UT?
Please share me any information you are sure about and guide me about admission process.
Thank you!

What were your scores on DAT 1 and DAT 2? It will make it easier to make recommendations. You have an excellent GPA so no reason should not be able to ace the DAT with proper preparation.

Don't take it again without feeling 100 % prepared, and I have worked with quite a few students through the years who were accepted on attempt 3, but their scores were all 20 plus.

Just my 2 cents.

Nancy

What were your scores on DAT 1 and DAT 2? It will make it easier to make recommendations. You have an excellent GPA so no reason should not be able to ace the DAT with proper preparation.

Don't take it again without feeling 100 % prepared, and I have worked with quite a few students through the years who were accepted on attempt 3, but their scores were all 20 plus.

Just my 2 cents.

Nancy

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I see that I made a mistake first, sorry about that!
DAT1: DAT2:
PA: 15 18
QR: 12 13
RC: 12 13
Bio: 16 17
GC: 16 15
OC: 14 15
TS: 16 17
AA: 14 15

I can understand all your other scores, but one of the scores that I am MOST worried about is your reading comprehension. Did you stopped answering questions at one point?

I retook my DAT, and I did much better than before. People would think I am crazy for retaking, but I am glad that I did.

When I retook my exam, I had a different approach. I made sure that I reviewed my mistakes everyday before the exam. I also studied the topics around the subtopics, for example if you are learning that the trophoblast turns into the chorion, then you might ask yourself what about the inner cell mass? What stage does this occurs? What are the other stages in developmental that are relatable?

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
I recently took DAT for the second time and got so upset of my results. I blame myself for taking DAT when I was not ready and confidence about taking it. Last year I got into a car accident and my right wrist bones broke and I had to do surgery right one month before my DAT. I was not ready to take DAT at that time but my mom forced me to take it like taking a shoot in the dark. so my first time chance got spoiled and I decided to take it for the second time this summer. Again I did a mistake and without any confidence I retook DAT. The only resource I used was KBB and BC, I didn't take any practice test and that's why I was run out of time during the test while DAT was not that hard.
Thank you!
i noticed from your grammar that english is not your first language. perhaps taking some english classes and reading/writing classes to strengthen this area first will help you. i bet if you work hard at improving your english you will also be able to understand the other sections of the DAT better. Good luck!!

i noticed from your grammar that english is not your first language. perhaps taking some english classes and reading/writing classes to strengthen this area first will help you. i bet if you work hard at improving your english you will also be able to understand the other sections of the DAT better. Good luck!!

Fair advice. In addition to that, read a couple of books.

I can understand all your other scores, but one of the scores that I am MOST worried about is your reading comprehension. Did you stopped answering questions at one point?

I retook my DAT, and I did much better than before. People would think I am crazy for retaking, but I am glad that I did.

When I retook my exam, I had a different approach. I made sure that I reviewed my mistakes everyday before the exam. I also studied the topics around the subtopics, for example if you are learning that the trophoblast turns into the chorion, then you might ask yourself what about the inner cell mass? What stage does this occurs? What are the other stages in developmental that are relatable?

Good luck!
RC was not hard, but by the time I was about to read the third passage time was over because I am a slow reader. I didn't take any practice test to time myself

You should really begin by reading many breakdowns and seeing how others prepared for their DAT and use their tips/strategies/resources. This helped me decide on what resources to use and how I should approach the exam

This is what I am doing right now! I'm gonna use others' strategies and resources! Hope by this time I can ace DAT like most of you.

May I ask you what your major is? I'm guessing they are not science related?

Anyways for the DAT:

RC: English is also not my first language, but I managed to score a 23. Key to this section is to stay focused. Keep in mind that you are reading a scientific article! If you just stay focused on the information, the questions are not that hard.

GC/OC: Based on your scores, you need to relearn the materials before you dive into any practice questions. Start by watching Chads videos. Take notes on every chapter. Take the quiz. Once you understand the concepts, try destroyer problems. You will get a lot of them wrong. The key here is to note the ones you got wrong. See what topic they are on and then watch a video on that specific topic on youtube. Only then try to redo that problem. Dont just "memorize" the right answer choice or the answer key. OC is the easiest section on the DAT (imo) so take advantage of it.

Bio: Read the notes everyday.

QR: Not sure if this section changed yet, but when I took the exam two months ago, the questions were VERY similar to ones on the Math destroyer. So do this whole book and you should at least get an 18.

Dont just go straight into solving hard chemistry practice problems when you dont even understand the concept behind it. This will ultimately just make you memorize the answers!!!

Oh and lastly... once you get your materials, focus on your studies and not on SDN. I remember when I was studying for my exam I took hours and hours searching on SDN for what materials to use when I couldve used that time to actually study.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What did you use for reading?

I didnt really prepare for the reading section because I didnt think I can improve my reading in just a short period of time. Of course this is bad, but it worked out well in my case. But because you got below 14 on reading both times, you DO need to prepare and practice. There are different strategies, so make sure to find the method that works for you. Try to focus 100% on the article when you read.