DAT review materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radiocures

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions of review materials, in general, for the DAT. I apologize if this question has been posted before; in fact, I bet it has been. If by way of reply someone would direct me to a good link, I'd appreciate that.

Alternatively, any specific information regarding the following materials would be appreciated:

Kaplan's book as a primary resource versus alternatives: I've heard this book is too short and yet it seems incredibly long to me.

Subject review: the high-yield series, Schaub's, others. Is there a series that is money for all subjects, or what are the most recommended.

Test practice: top score, crack the dat, any others people have found useful, how do they rate, particularly retrospective analysis for those of you who have taken the real thing.

Any other can't-miss type hints are appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Im using Kaplan now and its pretty good. My advice though is to have a full text of the subject for reference and to look at some visual descriptions. As you have probably picked up from other forums the Destroyer is also pretty good because a nice range of questions and for the most part, well explained answers.
Good Luck!:)

Kaplan is good and should probably be the first book you use. It gives you a good foundation for each of the subjects as well as tips for the test and a few practice tests. I would get it for sure. It is a bit weak for biology though and the PAT section in kaplan is much easier than the questions you will see on the real DAT, although it gives you a decent introduction to those types of problems. Schaum's are pretty good subject guides, but if you have kaplan the only one I would really recommend is the Biology one. An alternative is Cliff's AP biology which some people feel is a better guide for biology. I also used topscore and found it very helpful. The tests are harder than kaplan and are closer to what you will see on the real test. I thought it was worthwhile. Many people also recommend DAT destroyer - I did not use as I wasn't aware of it, but with some many recommendations I probably would have also used these books. DAT destroyer is basically a series of questions with very detailed answers. Its best to use this after you have a good foundation of studying in first I think. There is no single book that is really 100% perfect for DAT prep, so it is best to get a couple of study guides to prepare. The best advice really is to spend plenty of time with these guide books and make sure you know the material - study hard and you will do well. Good luck.

Kaplan DAT blue book
Schaum's outline of biology or Cliff's AP Biology
Topscore DAT
DAT Destroyer

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm taking the DAT in mid august. My primary study tools are Destroyer (most similar to real DAT) for the sciences and math. Achiever and Top Score for the reading comp and the pat and also to practice on a computer screen.

I would say that Destroyer is the best. The other materials are really good too, but after doing them and destroyer it is clear that destroyer is the most challenging!!!

I'm basically just gonna use my bio text book and notes to review for bio -- i've been thinking about getting a kaplan or campbells or shuams or something for bio review, but i think my notes will be sufficient. GOOD LUCK!

When are you taking the test?

pudz

thanks for the all advice. i'm not taking the test personally, but i am a medical student whose brother is taking it next spring.